The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 6, 2014, 09:40 AM   #1
militant

Switching my ccw.

I am switching from my Glock 17 to my Bulgarian Makorov for everyday ccw. It's just easier to carry. Have any of you gave up capacity and power for comfort?
Old March 6, 2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Never started with something as large as a G17 in the first place. Springfield XD40 Subcompact is the largest I carry. Followed by a Ruger LCR, KAHR CM9, or Ruger LCP.
The Elsie Pea being smaller, and lighter for pocket carry than my East German Makarov.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 6, 2014, 10:45 AM   #3
CWKahrFan

Quote:
Have any of you gave up capacity and power for comfort?
Yes. It would be an EXTREMELY rare situation for a non-LEO to need more than 6 rounds... unless perhaps one is in high-risk job (moving large amounts of cash for example). SD is SD. But if anyone WANTS to lug around a (bigger) double-stack... then more power to them!
Old March 6, 2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Nanuk

I compromise the other way. I carry a bigger gun, so if the fight finds me I am prepared.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:20 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Yes.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Hunter0924

My EDC is a Gen 3 Glock 20. It is my woobie.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
Have any of you gave up capacity and power for comfort?
Absolutely. I hate to dress around a gun so I choose to carry small. The largest gun I have carried was a Ruger SR9C. Right now my EDC alternates between a S&W Shield and a Bodyguard .380, I feel perfectly fine with either.
Old March 6, 2014, 11:03 PM   #8
AK103K

No. Ive always carried full sized pistols, and if I changed, it was to increase capacity. These days, its a Glock 17.

I also carry a "smaller" version of my full size, a 26, as a back up as well.
Old March 6, 2014, 11:16 PM   #9
jrothWA

No, have CPL'sfull-size sidearms..

and smaller. Anything you carry will still have "GOTCHA" power if and when you present it.

As long as you use proper holsters and belts other than not packing additional weight is not a compromise.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:10 AM   #10
Sevens

I don't fret even a moment about other folks choices with regards to carry. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that a good man is going armed, and I like that and I believe the world benefits from that.

However...

To me, it just seems lazy. So I don't want to fall in to that trap. So I don't compromise in that way. That's what I'm comfortable with, and that is what works for me.
Old March 7, 2014, 07:44 AM   #11
Mobuck

" It would be an EXTREMELY rare situation for a non-LEO to need more than 6 rounds"
Having "seen the elephant" on more than one occasion, I expect to miss(maybe a lot) so most often carry a 14 shot 9mm plus an extra mag. When forced to pack smaller, it's a 5 shot 38 w/laser(I don't miss as often with that one).
Old March 7, 2014, 08:42 AM   #12
9ballbilly

When I moved south I did "compromise" (although I consider it more of an evolution to fit my current environment). These days I CC a CA 5-shot snubnose revolver. Either a .44spl bulldog, about 80% of the time, or a .32mag. undercoverette. They both work well for me with the light clothing worn down here.
Old March 7, 2014, 08:44 AM   #13
pilpens

Sig P6 (7+1) to a Walther P99 (15+1) to a Kahr K9 (7+1) - all 9mm.
At the time I cc my Sig P6, it was the smallest pistol in my collection.
Old March 7, 2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Carry_24/7

It depends on your budget limitations. I have a CC weapon for all occasions, from smallest to largest:

22 Mag NAA Pug
380 LCP
38 Special Ruger LCR
9mm Walther PPS
45 ACP 4" Kimber CDP II

I started collecting more practical CC pistols years ago, rather than simply collecting.
Old March 7, 2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Skadoosh

I did....a long long time ago. I went from a Glock 22 to a Colt Detective and never looked back.
Old March 8, 2014, 12:34 AM   #16
JimmyR

I have multiple guns that I carry, depending on my attire, location, and plans for the day. My Bulgarian Mak is in the rotation (although much less often after picking up a CZ-82: everything I like about the Mak for CC, better erganormics, better sights, and 50% more rounds per mag) with my CZ75BD, RIA 1911, and S&W 642.

My personal belief is that if I carry a weapon with a mag capacity of under 10 or more rounds, I carry at least one spare mag. If it's under 10, I try to keep 2 spare mags. That's how I try to accomodate the lower mag capacity, but YMMV.
Old March 8, 2014, 12:42 AM   #17
Willie Lowman

I have gone from a Glock 22 to a Glock 23 to a Glock 26.

I'm happy with my baby Glock. The 23 seems a bit big when I carry it now. Don't know what I was ever thinking trying to conceal a full size service pistol now.
Old March 8, 2014, 07:37 AM   #18
Kevinch

Yes...kind of. I carry a 3" lightweight 1911 in .45ACP instead of a 5" all steel Government model.

I can't comment on the Glock - I've never really been a fan - but I do know something about Makarovs. It's a great little gun, but it really isn't a lightweight & you may find you want something that weighs even less. I have an alloy framed J-frame revolver that I carry during the summer when wearing only a light shirt & shorts; it can fit into a pocket & won't want to drag your pants off your waist. The Mak is a little too heavy (for me) in that type of carry.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old March 8, 2014, 07:47 AM   #19
Garycw

Switching my ccw.

Yes I have, because something is better than nothing at all. I have CC everything from a sub compact 22lr to a 12" 45 LC. 45ACP is my preferred carry even with 8 rounds, but the little 380 gets a lot of carry time too. Right rounds is my normal count in any caliber and no extra mags. Those are for the range. I have 9 mm with 17 round cap , but have never CC'd it. If I'm unlucky enough to have to pull my weapon, and unlucky enough that 8 Rnds are not enough.... It's just not my day!
Old March 8, 2014, 12:27 PM   #20
boondocker385

nope... glock 21
Old March 8, 2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Pyzon

When speedo weather is here, yes. (i'm talking about when others might wear one)

Otherwise, no, I go big and heavy whenever I can.