The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2014, 02:32 PM   #1
tahunua001

6.5 grendel Hunting loads.

hello all,
so I just got my 6.5 grendel put together and I am starting to look at hunting loads for it. if a person was going to hunt for larger deer and smaller elk, what bullets and weight would you suggest? the 140s have ballistic coefficients but what reloading data I've read claims that grendel does best with bullets between 120 and 130 grains. would you suggest a 123gr hornady SST(weight retention) or a 130gr berger VLD(more explosive wound tract)?

people generally do not recommend SSTs for elk and tend to heavily recommend bergers but common sense would seem to suggest that weight retention would be better for medium to large game. I hear a lot of good things about partitions but the BC seems a bit low compared to most and I've had bad experience with 6.5 accubonds so I really don't want to go that route. I'm having a bit of a conundrum...
Old January 28, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Geo_Erudite

For large deer and/or elk I would possibly look at Barnes TTX OR TTTX Bullets, Nosler E-Tips, or Hornady GMX. These lead free, monolithic bullets will give you the most penetration for the game you are looking at hunting with a 6.5 Grendel. All of these bullets are in the 120-130 grain range.

Vihtavuori Data

Hodgdon Data (just use the search functions)

Nosler Data
Old January 28, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3
steve4102

I have/hunt with a Grendel so I am not bashing you here, just commenting.

The Grendel can be a Great little "Deer" cartridge with the proper bullet. Problem is, most of the 6.5 Hunting bullets are either to heavy or to hard for the Grendel velocities. That leaves the SSTs, Ballistic tips, TSX/TTSX and maybe the VLD.

I have had very poor results with the Ballistic tips and the SSTs in my Grendel on MN Whitetails. My go-to-bullet now is the Barnes TTSX 100gr, 2750fps and DRT. YMMV

As far as Ballistic Coefficients go, I'm not so sure I understand the need. The Grendel is a little cartridges that launches little bullets at anemic velocities or heavier bullets at even slower velocities. For Target shooting out to 600+ yards by all means look at BC, for Hunting big deer and BIG Elk, no need. If you are going to Kill that BIG Elk with that little Grendel you need to be up close and personal and BC will have little or no affect on you Hunting bullets performance.
Old January 28, 2014, 08:38 PM   #4
tahunua001

I never said I intended to hunt BIG elk with it. I'm talking about 400 pound cows max and max range would likely be 300 yards. I also have the 20 inch rifle so my velocities will be slightly above average.
Old January 28, 2014, 08:58 PM   #5
bedlamite

If you want to hunt elk with the 6.5, please use at least a 260 Rem or 6.5x55.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:05 PM   #6
tahunua001

interesting request seeing as with 120-123gr ammo the average difference in velocity between grendel and swede is 150 FPS... is that much velocity at short range really that big of a deal?
Old January 28, 2014, 09:35 PM   #7
bedlamite

Both can be reloaded to get a 140gr bullet to about 2700fps, that's significantly more than the Grendel can hope to.
Old January 28, 2014, 10:44 PM   #8
tahunua001

point taken.
Old January 29, 2014, 12:22 AM   #9
steve4102

Back to your hunting bullets. Elk, big or small is some kinda tough, a blow-me-up Ballistic Tip/SST is not my idea of a "good' bullet. YMMV. Like I said I have had issues with them in MN Whitetails and they don't even come close to the mass and power of an Elk.

All that said, If i were to hunt elk with my Grendel I would prolly use the 120gr TTSX with a house full of Accurate 2520.
Old January 29, 2014, 01:53 PM   #10
tahunua001

so how would one compare the TTSX to a Nosler E tip? supposedly(according to nosler) the E-tip has 95% weight retention and has a better BC than anything barnes makes in that weight.
Old January 29, 2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Jimro

400 yards is definitely on the far side of where I feel comfortable using something like the 6.5 Grendel as a hunting round.

However I don't see why it wouldn't kill even an elk just as dead as anything else at shorter ranges. For example a 120gr Nosler E-tip at 2650 fps doesn't drop below 1000 ft/lbs of energy until 350 meters. If you limit yourself to shots under 300 meters and the bullet will have over 1165 ft/lbs of energy to expend in the animal.

Since the E-tip is solid copper except for the polymer tip, I would expect good penetration, expansion, and weight retention.

Good hunting, whatever you decide to hunt with.

Jimro
Old January 29, 2014, 02:58 PM   #12
tahunua001

for my intentions this would be a 300-ish yard deer rifle and less than 200 yard elk rifle, I like it for elk as a brush gun, if I was going on open breaks i would likely take something better suited to long ranges. I'm not sure if I'll be able to push it far above 2500 FPS but yes Jimros data of best case scenario is what I'm basing my expectations of performance and why I'm limiting to short range fr larger game.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:06 PM   #13
steve4102

If you are going to limit your Elk hunting to 200 yards or less, BC is going to be insignificant. A bigger concern IMO would be bullet performance at Grendel velocities.