The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Bwell

Screwed up decriming primer pocket, need advice.

I am new to reloading and just start last week with my case prep.

While decrimping primer pockets i noticed I was using a large reamer instead of a small. I never went all the way with the ream, pretty much got a lip on it (though thats how it was suppose to be) to help the primer slide in.

Did I just ruin a bunch of brass or is it still usable?

I can post picture soon.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Romeo 33 Delta

Try priming some of the cases with spent primers. In doing that, does anything feel "different" ... like seating with absolutely no resistance or does it seem to require your usual pressure?

If that seems to work OK ... try a number of cases with new primers and try firing them in your firearm ... do they go off?

I should think those two tests will help answer your questions.

BTW ... DON'T IT JUST PLAIN TWIST YOUR CORK RIGHT OFF WHEN YOU SCREW UP SOMETHING "SIMPLE" ?

If you ain't screwed something up ... you just ain't been reloading long enough! The important thing is the LEARN from those MESS UPS. If you never make the same mistake twice ... that's progress up the learning curve!
Old January 25, 2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Bwell

I'll do that, I haven't gotten to the point of priming yet. When I do, I will use several cases that didn't need reamed to see how they feel, then try with the reamed ones. I only did about 200 out of a thousand so it's not horrible but still makes me feel sick that I didn't notice that.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
skywag

You DID notice that! Throw them away.....no big deal.
Old January 26, 2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Bwell

The one on the right didn't need reamed.
Old January 26, 2014, 12:19 AM   #6
Bwell

To me it looks like there is plenty of room for it to seat still but thought I would share the pictures with you guys to see what you think.
Old January 26, 2014, 12:21 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Personally, I'd load and shoot.
But, there are plenty of other members that would consider doing so to be pretty irresponsible and dangerous.

Your call.
Old January 26, 2014, 12:24 AM   #8
Bwell

What could happen? I thought the worst that can happen is it doesn't seat right? You're saying if it does seat but its not strong enough now, it could blow up in the rifle?
Old January 26, 2014, 12:46 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Nah. Worst case, the primer will expand to fill the chamfered area - and likely rupture in the process.

With normal, sane loads, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep those cases separated from the rest of your brass (incase you decide they do cause a problem), but load as usual.
Old January 26, 2014, 03:40 AM   #10
chris in va

A hair more than I would have buzzed off but I've fired plenty of cases that look like that with no ill effects.

Remember those primers will be seated below flush anyway.
Old January 26, 2014, 04:19 AM   #11
Adamantium

That is fine, I routinely remove that much material and have never had a problem. I have reloaded to 5.56 pressures and have never seen a primer flow into the cavity.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:53 AM   #12
jepp2

You can use them as others have suggested and they "might" work fine.

I would toss them. Why? The primer flows under the pressure of firing. It is going to flow into the area of the pocket where you chamfered too generously. This "might" make the primer fail in that corner. Primer failures can damage the bolt face. I know that personally due to some rifle primers I had fail in that specific location and the jetting gas erodes the bolt face. The failure was the fault of the primer not excessive pressure.
Old January 26, 2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Bart B.

It all depends on how you want things to end up. If you want to err on the side of safety, toss them in the trash. If you want to err in favor of hoping they'll not cause problems, then use them. You decide what safety margins your reloads will perform in as well as what your well being is worth.
Old January 26, 2014, 11:08 AM   #14
Marco Califo

See this thread http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540569 for some comparative photos. Yes, you over did it some. Study the photos in the other thread and try for "just right". Better yet, buy some milspec once fireds with the primer pocket already processed: they will work fine, and you will have a reference point of what they should look like. http://www.gibrass.com/brass.html has them in stock.
Old January 27, 2014, 01:03 AM   #15
Adamantium

Quote:
It is going to flow into the area of the pocket where you chamfered too generously.
No, no it will not. I'm speaking from shooting about thousands of rounds from brass processed just like that. The primer will not flow into the empty space.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:44 AM   #16
Don P

Shoot them until the case splits or the primer no longer stays seated and falls out.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:27 AM   #17
SWThomas

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure FC 223 cases are not crimped...
Old January 27, 2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Adamantium

I don't know if they are all crimped but some of them are.
Old January 27, 2014, 02:58 PM   #19
howlnmad

I'd keep loading and shooting them until they wouldn't hold primers any longer.
Old January 28, 2014, 04:34 PM   #20
TylerOutdoorsman

Most of the FC primers in cases from the range pickups I have are crimped. I would shoot a couple of the cases that are over reamed and closely inspect them to make sure it doesn't look like it's gonna cause a problem like some of the other guys mentioned like primer failure. If it looks fine, load on man.
Old January 28, 2014, 04:45 PM   #21
Powderman

If you load a lot of .223, I highly suggest dropping some coin and getting a Dillon Super Swage. It's worth its weight in gold, if you load a lot of brass that has crimped primers.
Old January 28, 2014, 06:11 PM   #22
hodaka

I've removed a bunch of crimps with a pocket knife over the years and many were gouged out a lot worse than those seem to be. I imagine they will shoot just fine.
Old January 28, 2014, 06:27 PM   #23
Bwell

Thanks for the advice guys!

I will probably have to win a fishing tournament to get the Dillon, my wife is going to kick my ass if I send anymore on this! lol
Old January 28, 2014, 08:04 PM   #24
4runnerman

With 223 cases- I would just throw them away and lesson learned. Lesson's seem to sink deeper when they cost money. Not to pick here,but when you did the first case-Did you not look at it to see how it went?. Old carpenter rule-- Measure twice, cut once. With 800 cases left and say 12 reloads from each case- You are good to go for a long time. Anneal after every 4th loading. That would put you just short of 10,000 rounds. Almost time for a new barrel by then, give or take another3 or 4 thousand.
Old January 29, 2014, 09:12 AM   #25
GP100man

Even if primers are`nt crimped some have perfect formed square corners on the pockets , that means ya gotta have it peerfectly lined up to seat 1.

This camfer will cause no problem under normal pressures , I`ve done many surp cases for 308 & `06 just like that. But as we all know each firearm is it`s own entity , I would load 1 & fire it .

If useing srmp primers or the mil spec primers especially!