The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 10, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1
8MM Mauser

Ruger MKII review

The Ruger Standard, flagship of the mighty Ruger line of firearms. The Ruger standard was the first gun Ruger ever made. It came about when Bill Ruger Sr. founder of Ruger, was tinkering in his garage with a WWII souvenir Japanese “Nambu” Pistol. Mr. Ruger managed to construct two baby Nambu pistols of his own and subsequently designed the Ruger Standard using the Nambu’s bolt system and silhouette. Alex Sturm, co-founder of Sturm-Ruger liked the design of the pistol and it’s slight resemblance to the German P-08 Luger. Thus Sturm-Ruger was born, resting itself firmly on the back of this incredible pistol. Using modern manufacturing techniques to make parts that easily handle the pressure of .22 long rifle rounds, the Ruger standard undersold the competition and managed to make the Ruger Standard and it’s offspring, the Mark II and Mark III an American legend in the shooting world.

The Ruger Mark II came about in 1981, the primary difference being the addition of a slide-stop, which held the slide open once the last round was fired. Several new models were also introduced, including the target model which happens to be the specific gun I am reviewing today.

Read the full review here and let me know what you think:

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/hu...r-Mk-II-Review

Any and all input is appreciated, including critiques of my writing style and word usage.

Old June 10, 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
The Ruger Mark II came about in 1981, the primary difference being the addition of a slide-stop, which held the slide open once the last round was fired. Several new models were also introduced, including the target model which happens to be the specific gun I am reviewing today.
Slide catch, scallops at the rear of the frame, for easier manual cycling, magazine took one more round, safety worked different. And you could safely dry fire it.

Those are the differences I recall.

Dang, that's a long barrel you've got.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 10, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3
8MM Mauser

Does it hold one more round? My buddy has a Ruger standard and we always have shooting contests, I've never noticed him having one more or less rounds than me. Was that what you meant?

I should do a closer examination and edit though. I was going from memory when I wrote it. Thanks for the catch.

It's long and very accurate, useful out to 50 yards in my hands. I shoot this gun better than any other gun I own... It is a bit unweildy though...!
Old June 10, 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
g.willikers

Nice review. very thorough and professionally presented.
The Mk 1 was my very first handgun, bought with my own money.
$35, if memory serves.
Old June 10, 2013, 04:49 PM   #5
8MM Mauser

Thanks! I put a lot of work into it. This gun was a gift from my grandfather so it's very special to me besides being a great gun.

$35 sounds like a good price to me! Sometimes I think about what friend and family have told me about bins of $30 Sprigfield 1903's...
Old June 11, 2013, 11:00 PM   #6
rodent.22

yeah, sweet gun my 6 7/8'' Target MKII.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:42 PM   #7
DMMikey

Minor point, it's a putty knife.
I think a puddy knife might be something used at a bris.

Last edited by DMMikey; June 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
8MM Mauser

Ill make that spelling correction. Thanks!
Old June 15, 2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Ozzieman

Great review.
In my own opinion, if you don’t have a Ruger MK, you don’t have a complete collection.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:56 AM   #10
8MM Mauser

It's an iconic gun. I agree about the collection too. It's just like a 1911: you have to have at least one!

What's interesting to me is that people at the range I go to are always really curious about what I'm shooting. I go to a free range that's maintained by the Boy Scouts (it's going to heck lately, the Boy Scouts haven't been able to shoot all year so they haven't gone there and cleaned up; both the bench rests have been stolen. Sounds like its time to join a club...) so there are lots of new shooters and people, like me, with little money. When I tell them what I have people often tell me "I would never pay that much for a .22) and then they proceed to pull out their Ravens and high points and shoot shotgun-pattern groups on silhouette targets with them. Occasionally some men of wealth happen by and show off some cool stuff (got to fondle a Sig P938 the other day... Cool.) watching them shoot leaves me with no doubt that I'm better of waiting to finish school and save up for nice guns; my experiance with this Pistol has taught me not to settle. It shoots great, better than I can, and has been an amazing platform. I literally can't beleive the groups I shoot with this thing now!
Old June 16, 2013, 10:39 AM   #11
arizona98tj

Gotta love the older Ruger pistols. I've not seen one with a barrel as long as yours. Thanks for sharing.

I have a Mark I Target model, with the 6 7/8" barrel, that I purchased new back in the '70s and still enjoying shooting today. Like Ozzieman said....everyone needs a Mk in their collection.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Pilot

I have four Ruger MK II's. I prefer them over the MK III, so I will probably acquire more.
Old June 16, 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
Does it hold one more round? My buddy has a Ruger standard and we always have shooting contests, I've never noticed him having one more or less rounds than me. Was that what you meant?
MKI- 9+1
MKII-10+1
I had a standard MKII and a Government model. Sold both of them. Sure do miss that Government.
Old June 18, 2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Ozzieman

I lucked out several years ago. Friend that runs a local gun store called me up and told me he had one so I being a MK fan bought it.
When Bill passed away Ruger made a red label like the original ones came out with. They also put the Ruger crest on the bolt face.
And NO it’s not a hangar queen.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:27 PM.