The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 13, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1
kcub

UK to replace Brownings with Glocks

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...ally_replaced/

It sounds like they were carrying condition 3 and imagining they had a problem. I guess they have forotten what to do with handguns altogether.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Hal

All those Hi Powers.....doomed to who knows where...probably the furnace to be made into Mini Coopers...

A sad byproduct of the gun hysteria sickness sweeping the planet is that instead of being treated as historical artifacts, guns are treated like disease infected items and disposed of ASAP.

In bygone days, they would have found nice comfortable retirment homes in the hands of people that apprciated them for what they stood for.

Now, their nothing more than scrap.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

This topic has already been covered in two threads. One of those was closed for antagonistic remarks not dissimilar to your own:

Quote:
I guess they have forotten what to do with handguns altogether.
Preceding threads are here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511948
(Closed)

and

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=glock+british
(Open)

You may want to post in the second, as this is still open.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:23 AM   #4
PSP

Does the UK produce any of their own smallarms? Can't think of any pistols...?
Old January 13, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
MoBart

Reading the article linkdd in the op is kind if irritating, a journalist, with probbly no persoanl experince with orknowledge about militsry sidearms kr small arms in genersl, let alone personal arms, kind of sounded opinonated to me
Old January 13, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
WVsig

I simply do not understand all the hate for this choice. I prefer the BHP over the Glock but if you gave me the Glock and sent me into battle with it along with my Combat rifle I would not feel as if I was ill-equipped.

The Glock 17 is a very good if not great combat/duty sized 9mm pistol. It is "perfection" no but then again the BHPs isn't either....
Old January 13, 2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Scouse

Why is this discussion an excuse to make snide remarks on the UK? I have heard many people complain about British people being culturally condescending towards the USA. It is a reasonable complaint, many people do it. Many others, like me, argue against it, either because we recognise the fundamental foolishness of it or because we have personal affection for the USA, or both. What we often see on these threads is exactly the same things, smug and condescending, usually from a position of very little understanding of the cultural differences.

On UK made small arms - Accuracy International make our sniper rifles, and those of many other countries too. Been a long time since a handgun has been mass produced in the UK though, I would think. I wonder, might even be as far back as the old service revolvers.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Seven High

I wonder how much the british government has to pay for their new G17s. Is Glock being required to build a plant in the UK?
Old January 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #9
manta49

Quote:
I wonder how much the british government has to pay for their new G17s. Is Glock being required to build a plant in the UK?
The Ministry of Defence has signed a £9m contract to provide the Armed Forces with more than 25,000 new side-arms and holsters from Austria's Glock.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Brit

Quote:
I wonder how much the British government has to pay for their new G17s. Is Glock being required to build a plant in the UK?
I doubt it, no handguns for the Brit Citizens, just Cops and Military.

No big deal to ship from Austria. I think they carry hard ball, cops and Mil. Spec.

Hey Scouse, I have that name, SCOUSE, on other blogs! Saw that SCOUSE! I thought I had lost it, could not remember writing that.

The Browning Hi Power, shown, is a new one, Ambi safety. They had a magazine disconnect, mad.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Scouse

Haha, boss, Brit.

I believe the police sometimes carry hollowpoints these days, that might be only CO19 though not normal armed response officers. The military generally use NATO ball, of course.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:39 PM   #12
tahunua001

this thread has already happened, it got ugly, it got closed, and this is about the definition of a drive by post.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:36 PM   #13
kcub

I intended no antagonism toward British or glock. I have an English sirname I'm proud of. I know that gun control in England came about after WW1 because the titled didn't fancy their little brothers having them being a heartbeat away from succession.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
All those Hi Powers.....doomed to who knows where...probably the furnace to be made into Mini Coopers...
I'm speechless, to funny for words. Saved forever on the Internet.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:34 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

As has been pointed out, this issue is under discussion elsewhere.

I'm very disappointed in the lack of civility on the part of some members posting here.
Closed Thread