The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
checkmyswag

Carrying concealed in a shoulder bag...

I certainly understand there are disadvantages to carrying in a bag such as this. It has a compartment for a concealed pistol and a way to fasten a holster internally so you have your gun presented in a good position as well.

Do you carry your concealed pistol in a bag like this? What do you do to make up for the short comings of this type of carry? Do you feel carrying a bag like this screams "I've got a gun in here!"?

There are definitely advantages as well.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2
langenc

How do you handle it when you 'take the bag off your body'?
Old March 5, 2012, 12:32 AM   #3
PITT5150

I've got a Maxpedition Lunada that I take when I go fishing. I sometimes would put my revolver in a concealed compartment designed for this specific purpose. I never take the bag off if I'm carrying a weapon in it. It stays on me at all times.
Old March 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Hello langenc,,,

Quote:
How do you handle it when you 'take the bag off your body'?
I use a Concealed Carry Briefcase purchased from Gun Toten Mamas,,,
To answer your question, it never leaves my immediate grasp,,,
I may take it off and set it down by my side,,,
But it's always within my grasp.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 5, 2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Don P

I use the same set many a time. I leave the zipper for the gun open for easy access. Having a ileostomy it allows me to carry all the goodies I need or may need to replace or take care my issue should it arise. plus side is empty pockets. When the bag has to come off the shoulder I make sure the zipper gets closed.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 5, 2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Hansam

When my wife first got her CCW license she carried in her purse. Of course she forgets her purse wherever she starts feeling comfortable. Now she carries either appendix at 4 o'clock or she carries on the inside of her thigh if she's wearing a skirt.

I never liked the idea of carrying a bag so I just carry on my body - appendix at 4 o'clock.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:15 PM   #7
X_shooter

I have no issues carrying a bag like this. I have a maxpedition just like it. I carry it when it won't be coming off except when sitting in the car. It carries everything I need for the day as well as the concealed compartment. It is my fishing bag, camera bag, hunting bag, and sometimes just because I need to carry stuff bag. Very easy to draw and access everything.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #8
checkmyswag

Got to say I really like this bag and while understanding it's limitations/drawbacks, it has also allowed me to carry when I otherwise wouldn't have.

As far what to do when it's off my body, I try to never do that except when driving and even then, keep it secured near me. If I have to take it off, I rap it around my leg or clip it to me so it's impossible to get up, walk away and forget it.

If someone tried jacking me for the bag...I keep it to where I can lock my arm down over it. Also, the strap has a disconnect so I won't get choked with my own bag.

I don't think it's the ideal/best way to carry, but it has it's place.

How do you feel people look at such a bag? Suspicion?
Old March 6, 2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Fleabag

I have two of different sizes and also use a fanny pack. They have their moments, specially when CC and outdoor activities, carrying pampers, bottles and other baby/toddlers stuff.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:31 PM   #10
X_shooter

You said it. Its not ideal for all situations, but nothing is really. That is why you need options. Sometimes a bag is perfect.

I don't feel odd wearing it because I use it for so many things other than carrying. Sure it can scream tactical. So what... there are so many satchels, messenger bags, backpacks, and other variations in use these days I don't think it gets a second look.