The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 3, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Dubler1

This may be a silly thought...

I was browsing the net a bit and was tossing the idea of trying to build a 300 BLK upper and a rock river lower. i saw a 9.5 PDS on PWS website and rock river makes a neat folding stock capable lower. I dont know if they sell it seperatly though. I would probably cut the barrel down a bit so the addition of a suppressor doesnt make the overall length too long.

then again i keep eye balling the novenski 8" 300 BLK rifles already done and ready to go.

thoughts??
Old January 3, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
David Hineline

Since my google-fu is strong I was able to figure out all your abbreviations.

Anyway the Folding stock system only works with the Rock River Arms PDS piston driven system vs the PWS Primary Weaspons System, PDP piston driven pistol or PDR piston driven rifle. The PWS gas piston system uses a more std. type bolt carrier that when cycled extends out behind the lower receiver and into the buffertube, precluding the ability to side fold. The RRA Rock River Arms system uses a special bolt carrier which does not extend out the back of the receiver durring the firing cycle. Also as per Rock River's website the current gas system they have developed is not to be used with silencers.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Oh those pesky buffer tubes.

I have been wondering how bad the "gassing" around the charging handle is from the .300 blackout when used with a suppressor.

I watched a friend test fire his M4-2000 on his 10" 5.56 Noveske. The gas leak around the handle (no it isn't a gas-buster, he has ordered one) seemed pretty bad.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #4
David Hineline

As a left handed shooter the gassing of a short M16 with a .223 silencer is very bad, so I always run a 30cal silencer. I suspect since a 300 blackout is going to be running a 30cal silencer with .223 gas volume cartridge it would not be horrible but I have not done it.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
David Hineline

As a left handed shooter the gassing of a short M16 with a .223 silencer is very bad, so I always run a 30cal silencer. I suspect since a 300 blackout is going to be running a 30cal silencer with .223 gas volume cartridge it would not be horrible but I have not done it.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Dubler1

Sorry about the abbreviations. glad your google-fu is strong.

i was unaware that those rock river rifles were not to be used with suppressors, thanks for the heads up.

I think the noveski suppressors are made in 30 cal just like you said, to help eliminate the gas blow back. they also make a switch block that is suppose to help.

since the folding stock is out, anyone have any ideas how to mimic the "Honey Badger" by American Armament? its not in production but i like the compactness of the rifle. it pretty much has everything I'm looking for.

thanks guys for your time here.