The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 29, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1
DasGuy

Carry without a holster

This is something I never would have even considered before I got my CHL. However, when finally did get it I had a gun and no holster for it. Turns out it's a lot more secure than you'd think. I wouldn't wanna go for a run with it, but I had no problems with it moving while driving/ walking around.

It's also been a good option for the drive home from work without having to try to inconspicuously put on my holster while sitting in my car in the parking lot.
Old April 29, 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
NCSU08MS3

how exactly are you carrying? In pocket? Tucked in the waist band?

One word: Plaxico. Ask him how carrying without a holster tucked in his pants worked out for him !

I can only assume this is a troll post hunting to get a rise out of people...

Phillip
Old April 29, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3
skifast

I would not carry without the trigger covered.

A simple pocket holster, or a Zack holster are minimalist options.
Old April 29, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

It depends on the gun.
Glocks should only be carried in holsters.
I pocket carry a Keltec-have for 13 years. IWB with many guns is perfectly safe.
Old April 29, 2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Dino.

Quote:
how exactly are you carrying? In pocket? Tucked in the waist band?
Also, what type of gun is it?

I had a buddy who used to carry a Beretta 92F in the SOB w/o a holster.
Looks "cool" in the movies, but very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous, IMO.
To each his own, I guess.
Old April 29, 2011, 01:30 PM   #6
DasGuy

Troll?... You a funny guy.

1911 cond. 1 iwb

I would not carry a gun with only a trigger "safety" this way.

And I'm deffinately doing it to "look cool", seeing as it's concealed.

Welp, this isn't going over quite as I predicted...
Old April 29, 2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Dino.

I never said you did it to "look cool".
Did it ever occur to you that I was maybe talking about my "buddy"?
Old April 29, 2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
I wouldn't wanna go for a run with it. . .
So what happens if you have to go for a run?

I'd get a holster. And if it helps, I keep a cheap holster in my car for securing my gun while I'm driving, so I don't have to take my regular holster off my belt. It makes things a bit easier.
Old April 29, 2011, 01:42 PM   #9
MrWesson

Holster if planned carry but if I have to make a quick run somewhere I have carried "mexican".
Old April 29, 2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

To each their own. I personally wouldn't do it unless it was in condition 3 and I don't carry in condition 3 anymore.
Old April 29, 2011, 01:45 PM   #11
MrWesson

Does everyone who creates a topic need to post here and on THR
Old April 29, 2011, 01:54 PM   #12
DasGuy

Sorry Dino, read it wrong.

MrWesson said what I meant. I now have a holster that I use; but if I just need to make a quick trip or just coming home from work (can't carry at work), I'm comfortable without using a holster.

And I'm not on THR, though sometimes browse it. This same topic was posted over there?
Old April 29, 2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Noticed that too, ah what the heck - one big happy family...
Old April 29, 2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Amin Parker

I must admit that i do carry without a holster from time to time. In fact i just did. Went out for quick smoke and stuck it in my waistband condition 3.

When i have to run to the shop quickly i just stick it in my waistband condition one, been doing it for years. When things go bump in the night and i investigate, after all is confirmed safe i just stick it in my pants on safe while locking up.

I would not do it with a pistol that has no safety.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old April 29, 2011, 02:32 PM   #15
old bear

In the past I have been known to carry without a holster, drop J frame or PPKS into back pocket or jacket pocket. From time to time I even carried IWB without holster, and there are many good reasons not to do this. Yet I have found that as I get older the laundry has been shrinking my trousers of late , so I generally use a good belt holster.
Old April 29, 2011, 03:29 PM   #16
AK103K

Believe it or dont, you can carry a gun without a holster (even a Glock) and it wont go off just because you are. Now if youre sticking it in a pocket with a bunch of other stuff, or some silliness like that, then youre on your own. Use a little common sense, and you'll be fne.

While I normally do use a holster, Ive also carried a number of guns without one on different occasions, and never had any issues. Generally, if your not active, its not a big deal. If you are active, its probably not a good idea. Either way, plan on adjusting it a lot.
Old April 29, 2011, 04:17 PM   #17
45Gunner

I carry a gun to protect the family fortune. Pocket carry without a holster may be a good way to lose the family jewels.
NRA Life Member
Old April 29, 2011, 04:25 PM   #18
pilpens

Carry without a holster - maybe if there is no round in the chamber. I have not carried without a holster and do not plan to do so. Why take the risk? Why take that layer of protection away?
===========
Are there not states where CC without a holster is illegal?
Old April 29, 2011, 04:31 PM   #19
TailGator

It's not for me, but I suppose handguns with heavy enough trigger pulls or very secure safeties can be carried that way. To me, a holster protects the gun from damage (both falls and sweat), makes the trigger safer, keeps it more securely positioned, and makes it more comfortable to wear. I just don't see the downside of using a holster.
Old April 29, 2011, 05:15 PM   #20
AK103K

For those who are against it, maybe some experimentation is in order with the guns youre uncomfortable with. You do have to at least prove it to yourself, and not just take others thoughts on it. I say thoughts, because so much seems to be just that. I havent heard of anyone speaking from "experience" as to the guns going off because they werent using a holster.

I was always told you cant carry a Glock in this fashion, but so far, with pretty much a year or more of daily use with a couple of spare "unloaded" Glocks, just thrust into my waistband or pockets, I have yet to find the trigger dropped, unless the trigger has been intentionally pulled. All the scary stuff I was told will happen has yet to. At this point, Im not concerned about sticking a loaded upholstered Glock in my waistband.

Now going in the other direction, my buddy found out that carrying a Baby Browning loaded and kept behind a hanky in his back pocket wasnt a good idea. He was working in the garden, bent over, and the gun went off. Lucky for him, all it did was blow a hole in his jeans. He no longer carries that way, nor does he carry the Browning, and switched to a TCP.

A little prior practice, thought, and common sense can go a long way in eliminating problems, and some of the fear.
Old April 29, 2011, 05:28 PM   #21
chadstrickland

I don't think I would carry a semi automatic pistol without a holster..maybe I would if it was a quick dash outside or something..but I think a revolver with no hammer..like the smith and wesson bodyguard I probably would carry in my pocket...
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old April 29, 2011, 05:29 PM   #22
orionengnr

Quote:
One word: Plaxico. Ask him how carrying without a holster tucked in his pants worked out for him !

I can only assume this is a troll post hunting to get a rise out of people...
Plaxico was carrying a Glock, climbing stairs and wearing sweat pants (IIRC) at the time of his memorable incident. There is also plenty of evidence that Plaxico is an idiot.

The OP is seated in his car, with a gun with an external safety. There is no evidence that he is an idiot.

Apples and oranges.
Old April 29, 2011, 06:16 PM   #23
L_Killkenny

Mexican carry while sitting in the car? Yuck. That's what they made your console or the underside of your thigh for.

The dangers of mexican carry or any carry method where the trigger is not covered are greatly exaggerated. As long as a gun has a good, positive saftey it's pretty much as safe as anything. Holsters add security and comfort and that's about it. But they are 2 big plus' IMO.

LK
Old April 29, 2011, 06:50 PM   #24
Terry A

The primary way I carry my pistols is simply in my front pants pocket. And I carry like that until the seasons change & I start wearing a coat. Then it's in the front pocket of the coat. Sometimes with a holster in the pants pocket but most times w/ no holster. My primary carry pistols are the Springfield XD-45, Glock 21SF & Glock 23. My pants do need a belt when I carry this way and as long as I have a shirt that is long enough to reach to the pocket, it can't be seen.

I have NEVER carried any handgun in my waist band & I can't see me ever trying it. The gun is either in a deep pocket or in an inside the pants holster.

One major rule for those who like to carry in the pocket is to take great care to keep your weapon clean, including daily rub downs to keep the lint off.

I imagine those of us who carry primarily in the pocket are in the minority. But I've carried this way for 30+ years now, and have practiced from the pocket at the range for the same length of time. It's so natural now that it's really second nature. When I do carry one w/ an inside the pants holster, it's something that I'm more aware of.

We qaulified from a belt holster w/ our primary duty weapon. With our off duty weapons, how you carry it is how it was presented at the range during qualifications. I'd say roughly 30% of us were pocket carriers.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old April 29, 2011, 07:02 PM   #25
psyfly

I do it fairly frequently. With a 1911 @ about 4:00 position. Full size never had a problem. Smaller pistols tend to work themselves upward, would only carry one from the house to the truck, e.g..

OTOH, I have an IWB holster that carries one in about the same position with a lot more security, which is most of the time.

I think it's like anything else that depends on a skill: Practice and practice safety and you'll not likely have a problem.

That being said, if I have to mexican carry a 1911 for very long at a time, I'll carry it condition 2.

Best,

Will

Tags
holster , pocket