The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Allison

Chamber size

Not long ago I picked up a .36 cal. brass frame Leech and Rigdon type revolver. Date code is XX7 which, I think, means 1971 and it's also stamped with what looks like the end of a gun barrel with the letter U inside so maybe it's a Uberti. As far as I can tell it's never been fired and is made as well or better than my new Ubertis. There is a serial number on the frame but no corresponding number on the barrel. Did Uberti only stamp the frame back then or do I have a replacement barrel?
The chambers on this gun also measure exactly .380" (barrel grooves at .370") which kind of rules out using a .380" ball as I won't get any lead shaving. I see where Track of the Wolf offers a .389" ball and was wondering if this is too large and would be difficult to ram into the chamber? Also, would the ball (at .380") be too large for the barrel. Looking forward to shooting this one and would appreciate any advice.
Old November 6, 2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Hawg

It's a Uberti. It could be the chambers were chamfered to ease loading.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison
Not long ago I picked up a .36 cal. brass frame Leech and Rigdon type revolver.
Which would make it a Griswold and Gunnison (or Griswold and Grier) replica.

Quote:
Did Uberti only stamp the frame back then or do I have a replacement barrel?
Uberti and other manufacturers didn't always stamp the SN in the frame and barrel on the early repros.

Quote:
The chambers on this gun also measure exactly .380" (barrel grooves at .370") which kind of rules out using a .380" ball as I won't get any lead shaving. I see where Track of the Wolf offers a .389" ball and was wondering if this is too large and would be difficult to ram into the chamber? Also, would the ball (at .380") be too large for the barrel. Looking forward to shooting this one and would appreciate any advice.
The chambers might be tapered. Try the .380s and see how they work. A .389 might be a little hard to load.

I've got a Uberti L&R from 1977 that has loose chambers & it shoots just fine.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 7, 2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Allison

Thanks for your replies. I'll try the .380" balls.
The gun has a round barrel and brass frame. Wouldn't that make
it a Leech and Rigdon? With the Griswold and Gunnison having an
octagonal barrel?
I'm going by the photos in the
DGW catalog.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Hawg

Griswold & Gunnison was a round barrel with brass frame, actually wasn't brass but bronze with a high copper content. Leech & Rigdon was a steel(iron) frame with a round barrel. Both were .36 caliber.
Old November 7, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

And the brass frame with octagonal barrel was the Schneider and Glassick. Retailers and replica makers call their products all sorts of non-historical names.

The dragoon style (half round half octagonal) barrels were found on the iron framed Leech and Rigdon, Rigdon and Ansley, CH Rigdon, Columbus Firearms Manufacturing Company, Augusta Machine Works, and J.H. Dance & Brothers revolvers.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 7, 2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Allison

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate your help.