The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1
red caddy

REM XP-100

About 10 years ago, I rebarrel'd my XP-100 ,.221 fireball, to 7.62 X 39. Chambered and headspaced, using the bolt from another of my XP's in 7MM BR. Extraction is hit or miss, but it shoots like it has eyes.

It's time to finish up this project.

How do I best modify the .221 bolt to work with the 7.62 X 39 ?

Is there another caliber bolt I can buy that will work?

Anybody done this before?

Thanks, Paul
Old March 14, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
triggerman770

xp-100

you need a boltface that will accept .447. a 6mm or so may need to be opened a tad. the 221 is .378. a 6mm ppc is .440 and would have to open up less
www.georgiacarry.org
Old March 14, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
roysha

This conversion is quite common in the benchrest game for the fellows that use the XP action to build a solid bottom SS rifle and don't, or can't, pay the price of a 40X or custom action.
Open the bolt face to the correct diameter and install a SAKO type extractor. I am assuming since you said you built the XP that you have access to machine tools and know how to use them. The conversion kit is available from Brownell's and is very simple, straight forward machine work. I use the mill attachment for my lathe and it works great. This is also a good fix for some of the older 721s and 722s that don't have the staked extractor.
You may have to install a filler on the side opposite the extractor because sometimes the rim catches in the recess which is left where the original extractor fit. No big deal. I usually just drill a very small pin hole in the face of the bolt and drive in a piece of drill rod.