The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Wallabing

Big problem with Charles Daly pump

I purchased a brand new Charles Daly field tactical pump, it's only 3 days old.

When firing it for the first time with 00 buckshot, the action slams back violently, my hand slips off the forend because of this violent movement and I can see hot gas erupt from the breech.

I plan on dealing with this problem asap, but can anyone shed anylight as to what is wrong?
Old October 5, 2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

The action is not locking shut. Send that sucker back for factory service before you get hurt. Goatwhiskers
Old October 5, 2009, 06:58 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Did you tear it down and thoroughly clean it prior to firing it? Could be gunk in the bolt or such.
Brent
Old October 5, 2009, 07:03 AM   #4
rickdavis81

It's not locking up all the way. I'd send it back before something bad happens. Then trade it for a Remmy or Mossberg. I'm not one for brand bashing but I gave CD a try on one of their Maximag semiauto's. I wanted to rap it around a tree it made me so mad. Constant jamming.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Wallabing

Just letting you all know I returned it, and lost $32 overall.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:53 PM   #6
mapsjanhere

Surprised that any dealer would not take a potentially badly defect gun back at no cost; I'd want to get my hands on it before the customer hurts himself and sues.
But still, with the choice being $32 or an emergency room visit, you still are getting a bargain.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

Wallabing,

Sorry to hear you had trouble with it, but I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I hope you have better service from your next pumpgun purchase.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:43 PM   #8
MAX100

On the CD pump you have to make sure you have the barrel seated into the receiver all the way. I had the same problem when I first took one apart. The barrel can appear that it is lock in when it's not.

I considered sending mine back to CD until I checked it over good and found the barrel wasn't seated properly.

GC
Old October 10, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Kmar40

I just don't understand why people buy these Chinese Daly or NEF shotguns made from who knows what when a Mossberg is only $15 more and a Remington Express is only $40 more.

Last edited by Kmar40; October 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old October 10, 2009, 01:31 PM   #10
RNB65

Over my strong warnings, a buddy of mine bought two CD semi-autos a few years ago. He alternates between them when we go clay shooting and both are jam-o-matics. He's constantly clearing jams and I can't even remember the last time my Beretta 391 jammed. He could of bought a very nice used Rem 11/87 or Beretta 3901 for about what he paid for those two CD POS's. I just chuckle every time he squeezes the trigger and nothing happens. Some people just never learn.