The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1
lastchancebaby

Police issued VMAX varmint rounds?

Hello,
I was reading on another forum (AR15.com) that police in some locales are being issued VMAx 55g varmint rounds? This did not seem to make much sense to me?
Old November 20, 2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Silentarmy

Have you ever seen a prairie dog splash to 12 feet? It makes Perfect sense to me! Explosive expansion will maximize effect on target. If not for the Hague convention, I think US Military personnel should carry it also.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old November 21, 2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Crosshair

The insane thing is that we never signed the Hague convention. (The 1899 convention) Even more insane is that the whole "Dum-Dum" bullet fiasco was a political move by Germany to try and make Britain look bad in the late 1800's.
Old November 21, 2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Jim Watson

City attorneys, and therefore cops, worry about overpenetration and ricocchets. Varmint bullets are not likely to do either. Some years ago, Federal had a Blitz line of ammo, loaded with Sierra Blitz thin jacketed bullets. They sold them retail as varmint loads but had actually developed them for some large government agency.
Old November 21, 2007, 10:41 PM   #5
shooter_john

We are issued 55gr Hornady TAP.223's (VMAX Varmint rounds) at work for our patrol rifles. SWAT is issued Federal Premium Bonded in addition to the TAP. The previously mentioned penetration issues are the cause for the "Varmint" round. It is also a violation of SOP to deploy the rifles in trailor parks, trailors, and apartments for obvious reasons.

Last edited by shooter_john; November 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: because my 1.5 year old hit the button midstream!
Old November 22, 2007, 12:31 PM   #6
lastchancebaby

yes, that makes sense

Have a great day