The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2017, 08:25 AM   #1
JeepHammer

For Looking Down Into Cases For Debris Or Powder Check

I have one of these on order,
Good for looking down into cases on progressive loaders.
Might beat that smart phone arrangement...
http://m.banggood.com/G600-Digital-P...SFDrCHEk<br />

I can see this coming in handy for a lot of other things too...
Old February 2, 2017, 08:52 AM   #2
jmorris

If it's lit well enough. When I can I use the style that drops the probe down inside the case, set right and they can detect quite small changes in volume.
Old February 2, 2017, 10:32 AM   #3
reddog81

Interesting. I just don't see way I could attached that to my Hornady LNL in such a manner that would allow me to view inside a 38 Special case.
Old February 2, 2017, 03:20 PM   #4
berettaprofessor

600X magnification for $44? I don't believe it.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:37 PM   #5
jmorris

How about 1000x for less than $50?

http://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-bio...FQQvaQodUYcFRQ
Old February 2, 2017, 07:33 PM   #6
JeepHammer

Looked to me like the neck will fit into a die station, don't know yet.
I tried that goofy fiber optic/smart phone arrangement on a friends press and it's a pain, no light hard to see anything without 1,000 watts glairing down on you.
I think he got it off eBay...

I'm thinking if the neck is small enough, mount on the press over the case feed to see if any pins got stuck in the case before decapping rod hits them...
Old February 2, 2017, 07:43 PM   #7
jmorris

When I haven't been able to run a probe style check I have used a mirror and light successfully.

Old February 2, 2017, 07:49 PM   #8
ShootistPRS

I compare the loads in a tray where I can compare each case with those around it. It would be hard to tell if you have the right amount of powder in a case by looking at a lone case.
If you can do that then you don't need a scale or powder measure.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:01 AM   #9
1100 tac

I can sure as heck tell if I have no charge or a double charge by looking into a single case, and that is the main reason for looking into the case when using a progressive press. Other than that, I probably need a scale.

I can't imagine when cycling a progressive press, taking each case that is ready to have a bullet seated and placing it in a loading block to see if all the powder levels are the same, and I wouldn't be able to tell if they were a 1/10th off by looking anyway, at least with most of the powders that I use.

Lot of folks like to use a loading block when running a single stage and that's fine, but I like to charge a case and then seat a bullet when running single stage, I just check with the scale every 5th or tenth round, and visually every round. Single or progressive.

That little microscope looks pretty cool if it could be mounted in such a way as to not be IN the way.

Last edited by 1100 tac; February 3, 2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old February 3, 2017, 04:39 AM   #10
JeepHammer

I thought I specifically mentioned progressive loaders...

Anyway, mirror & dedicated light has been working, akward, but working.
I thought this *Might* work in a tool head on progressive that DOES NOT have a powder check in that hole,
OR,
Might work between case feed tube and shell plate to look into cases for steel pins or other FOD. (Foreign Objects-Debris)

Since most progressives have a case feed shuttle that takes case from feed tube to shell plate,
And since that shuttle *Usually* drops the case on the full up/primer stroke,
Then moves the case into a 'Ready' position between drop tube & shell plate,
The gap between drop tube & shell plate *Might* be a good place for a self lit, magnified look down into the case.

It might be too akward to see from your position in front of the press,
It might not mount easily in that gap,
It might not work at all,
But for $40 I can find a use for a self lit magnifier.

I'm not worried about 600X or 1,000X magnification,
On those .32, .380, .38/.357, 9mm cases just 2X and direct lighting would be a big help with my aging eyes...
Even .45 Colt & .45 ACP are getting hard to see down into the older I get.

-----

Me being OCD and all,
I want to see if the CCD (camera) & lights are built onto the circuit board or wired TO the circuit board...

If wired TO the circuit board, it's a simple matter to add length to wires and 'Remote' the CCD/lights.
Small CCD in one place, display in a more convinent place.
That CCD/lights unit is small enough to fit BETWEEN dies under the tool head,
So if you can remote the display, that CCD can mount virtually anywhere.

----

On the other note in this thread,
With a fast/hot, low volume powder (like TiteGroup) the probe on a powder checker doesn't do so hot sometimes...

Dillon has 'Large' & 'Small' end rods, and the 'Large' wasn't fitting .45 cases very well, along with the 'V' notch attachment on the case rod wasn't quite fine enough for me...

I turned a rod end that fit .45 cases much tighter, and turned a collar with tighter tolerance 'V' notch, producing a rod that would detect a MUCH smaller variance in charges.

One thing I didn't expect with the factory Dillon setup,
That powder checker WILL detect a 0.047" x 0.255" steel in left in a pistol case,
And the factory rod WILL detect a spent primer in a .308 case.

As for how a spent primer managed to make it into a .308 case that had been tumbled, separated, went through a case feeder, deprimed, resized, stored until loaded, back through the case feeder, primed, charged and THEN the powder checker found the spent primer inside...
How that primer got there, and stayed there, is one of the mysteries of the universe, but the Dillon powder check found it... And that's saying something!

The Dillon powder checker is a fine unit, if pricy,
There is room for tuning for specific applications, but all in all it's pretty good for its application!

Last edited by JeepHammer; February 3, 2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old February 3, 2017, 08:27 AM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
On the other note in this thread,
With a fast/hot, low volume powder (like TiteGroup) the probe on a powder checker doesn't do so hot sometimes...
When set right I can detect different case volumes with the Dillon powder check, even though both charges are the same.

This video is an example and the powder charge is 3.0 grains of N310 (faster powder then Titegroup and one of the smallest volume charges I load with).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EU9deSKm48

Last edited by jmorris; February 4, 2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old February 4, 2017, 06:18 AM   #12
1100 tac

I thoroughly understand the ageing eyes part, I have reached the point where I'm actually thinking about scoping my '85 Winchester, (sacrilege, I know)
Old February 4, 2017, 09:02 AM   #13
JeepHammer

I HATED apature (peep) sights...
Turned 40 and my eyes changed, found out how a small hole can correct vision for some reason I don't understand, but it does work.

Lots of magnified optics in my rifle rack now...
I like OLD rifles, optics don't look 'Right' on them, so unless I can use apature sights they don't get used much anymore.

Use the maganifier on the loader or not, I'm sure it will come in handy.
Old February 4, 2017, 09:18 AM   #14
rebs

I just use the lLED strip light on my LNL AP and it works fine, I can visually see every casee before seating the bullet. I also use a powder cop die which I also can see if it is charged right. The die will lock out the press if there is no powder or a double charge.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:45 PM   #15
RC20

Quote:
I thoroughly understand the ageing eyes part, I have reached the point where I'm actually thinking about scoping my '85 Winchester, (sacrilege, I know)
Ok, is that 1985 or some kind of Lever action? Not into Winchesters, so sacrilege to one person is not necessarily to another (grin)

Worst case buy a gun with a scope for fun.

You might try a Model of 1917 aka Eddystone/Remington/Winchester.

It has the finest battle rifle iron sights ever and maybe the best plain peep ever. My brother came up with a shrink the disk system that makes the pop up ladder peep even better (you can go too far)

It has a very solid square front sight and with the long sight distance, even I can shoot some fairly decent groups at 100 yds with it.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:46 PM   #16
RC20

And while I am never going to the areas JH is, I love the posts.

Cool stuff.
Old February 5, 2017, 11:07 AM   #17
Gary Wells

I have found from experience that the headlamps manufactured by some of the flashlight companies are ideal for inspecting both inside & outside of cases & loaded rounds. Generally quite inexpensive at your local Wally-World. I haven't tried them for checking powder in cases during the reloading cycle but I will have to give that a try.
Old February 5, 2017, 01:20 PM   #18
F. Guffey

And then one day someone will think about it and wonder if it is possible to add an optic fiber for scoping things out.

F. Guffey
Old February 6, 2017, 11:47 AM   #19
jmorris

Post #17 here.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=video

Old February 8, 2017, 12:45 PM   #20
Ben_Snow

Just picked one of these up from Home Depot last night:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...0-BK/300115504

Sticks right to my workbench (Plexiglass), super bright, and don't have to worry about batteries. The long gooseneck allows me to bend it just under my Lee Turret and down toward the shell holder.

Works great and a cheap solution, of course I have a plexiglass top that facilitates the suction cup.
Old February 9, 2017, 08:41 PM   #21
CoastRange

jmorris--
That is the first self-oiling press I've seen. I want one! From the photo, I can't tell: Does it lubricate the cases or the moving parts on the press? Would you mind hinting at how you get the oil out of those peanuts?

Last edited by CoastRange; February 9, 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old February 10, 2017, 05:55 AM   #22
jmorris

Not sure what you are talking about?

If it's about the photo in post #19, that is not my setup but another members, click the link above the photo and you can get in contact with him.
Old February 10, 2017, 04:00 PM   #23
CoastRange

Whoops. I thought that was your set-up.

He has so many homemade aspects to his reloading, I was attempting a joke about the peanut can.