The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 28, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
rebs

Savage bolt action 223 target rifle ?

I wanted to ask you guys that have one of these, how many rounds does yours hold ? I looked at a Savage with the accu trigger and it has a 4 round magazine. I like to shoot 5 shots groups, could I puit one in the chamber and then slide in the magazine with 4 more for a total of 5 rounds ?
Old December 28, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
PawPaw

Which model are you considering? Savage makes over 40 rifles in .223 and they all have their particular attributes.

For target work, most of us simply shoot single-shot. I still shoot 5-round groups. Even with my hunting rifles, when I'm shooting paper, I normally load one at a time.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 28, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Jerry45

Yes you can put one in the chamber. 4 in the mag then hold the top one down while you slide the bolt closed on the one you stuck in the chamber. I do it all the time with my wife's Savage model 25.

While your at it take a look at the CZ 527 in .223. Holds 5 in the magazine and has an adjustable single set trigger. Every time my wife goes to the range with me I ask if she want's to take her Savage or my CZ. CZ! Hers has the thumb-hole stock "she wanted". CZ has a laminated stock with palm swell. Feels really good in hand.

Last edited by Jerry45; December 28, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Mobuck

The newer rifles with the centerline feed hold one less round than the staggered feed older models. If you are truly into shooting groups, you probably should be hand feeding each round into the chamber. The only time I load the magazine when shooting from the bench is when function testing a rifle or in the case of a controlled feed action.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
rebs

thank you for the replies, I guess I'll be feeding one at a time also. I am just used to loading 5 in the 10 round mag for my AR.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:57 AM   #6
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry45
... my wife's Savage model 25.

... She CZ 527 in .223.
Jerry, may I bother you for your assessment of the relative merits of those rifles? I have used several CZ rimfires, some of which are so attractive that I spare them from rough use.

The Savage I had for a short time never left me with the anxiety of destroying its beauty.