The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 19, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Big Yac

Wild Animal Protection

I live in SE Ohio and the other night 48 exotic animals got loose and are running loose through the area, lions, bears, leopards, etc. Late at night you see something big (animal) run through your yard and moments later a window breaks. What do you do? A 9mm, 38 or 40 will just upset the animal at best. I'm thinking a magnum load of 00 buck or a rifle in the .458 range but I know this would be the absolute last choice, taking on such a creature.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2
BarryLee

I have been watching some of this on the news and it is a kind of scary deal. Yes, chances are probably pretty low of having any problems, but just the same. Anyway, I would simply utilize the most effective caliber I had that is unless you are just looking for a reason to buy another gun. As you said I would think that a shotgun would be my first choice.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 19, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Mello2u

Having a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs would be comforting.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 19, 2011, 12:08 PM   #4
jglsprings

Finally all those darn bear threads are going to pay off!

Sooooooooooo.... all you guys that gave me a hard time about my 375 H&H. Where are you now?? LOL!

My wife and I were talking about this news story this morning and the first words out of her mouth were:

"I'm sure you have more than one rifle for a situation like that. Don't you?"

I had to admit I did.

P.S. any North American big game rifle is going to be fine. A shot gun with slugs works as well.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; October 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:23 PM   #5
jrothWA

For SE Ohioan, you already have the 12ga for deer,

just feed it Brenneke slugs as that is what they are made for, heavy muscled animals with ATTITUDE.

Be interesting if local LEO involved would chime in on what was used.

Well used A5 with slug barrel and magazine full of Brennekes is very comforting.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Patriot86

Glock 20 would probably be the best bet IMO for an anti-tiger/lion hand gun. The only worry is they did not talk about what type/s of bears this guy has. If these are BIG AND FAT pre-winter Grizzleys I do not think I would trust any handgun against one short of something real exotic like a .500 S&W.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Stressfire

Well, seein' as how 9mm, .45, a .30 carbine, and a 12 ga. (borrowed) is what I got, I guess I'd be unloading with those.

A bear would be my biggest worry as far as penetration/damage, just about everything else is thin skinned enough that I think what I have would do the trick.

Not a hunter, so I am making an educated guess.

Yikes, who expects to be watching football one minute and tossed into an African big game hunt the next? You think you would get to keep the mount if you took out a lion? Might make for a cool story
Old October 19, 2011, 01:21 PM   #8
zachkuby87

12 ga with some nice fat slugs is what I would use. Only in self defense though. As I'm sure that there are at least a few yahoo's running around trying to hunt these animals... to be honest I wouldn't even be killing these animals unless I absolutely needed to in order to save lives. Now I'm not a animal rights freak I just think that there are humane ways of taking care of the problem instead of hunting them all down and killing them on sight. Just my opinion cause the animals have probably already been mistreated through their lives if it were me id try to take them down safely with tranq's and if that didn't work then obviously kill them.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:22 PM   #9
farmerboy

If I lived around there Id be sitting in a tree somewhere hunting. How often do you get to see things like that possibly walk by. I guess id take my 30-06 and make head shots on the bears and heart/lung shots if given the shot. Almost any gun to the head would be fine.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
If I lived around there Id be sitting in a tree somewhere hunting.

That was my first thought too.

The news was like "people in the area are advised to stay indoors", I'm thinking "indoors?! I'd be in a tree!"
Old October 19, 2011, 01:42 PM   #11
kraigwy

Agreed, pretty rare, but then it depends on where you live.

I policed Anchorage AK, we constantly got calls of bear and moose hanging around school bus stops.

We didn't carry "African Rifles" we carried shotguns and pistol/revolvers. Some carried slugs which would work I guess but I don't like shotguns in police work (thats just my opinion).

I carried a 357 with LSWC bullets. I didn't shoot any bear but I've shot several moose. The 357 worked for me. When these animals are a hazard they are normal close. It's pretty easy to hit the base of the neck with a revolver.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 19, 2011, 02:15 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Lions, tiger and bears - oh, my - put on ruby slippers?

Shotgun and slugs, back up 357 SW 19. Get ready for action!

Actually, it happened here in San Antonio a few years ago. A flood knocked down the fence of a preserve and the lion got out and ate the ostrich.

It then went for a walk down the highway before getting tranked.

The distance was such that it could have walked to us but that would have been past lots of homes. Probably not a good idea in TX. I know that long arms are common around me.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:20 PM   #13
BarryLee

Quote:
If I lived around there Id be sitting in a tree somewhere hunting.
Not sure I would considering some of the animals were cats. These guys could probably sneak up and join me in the tree before I had a chance to unload. Yikes!
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 19, 2011, 02:25 PM   #14
spclPatrolGroup

How does 40+ animals get loose at once, were they all in teh same cage and someone left the door open?
Old October 19, 2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-animal...ry?id=14767017

Suicidial guy let them out.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:45 PM   #16
markj

Quote:
Id be sitting in a tree somewhere hunting
Saw a truck on the news had hounds in the back he is gonna get him some cat tonight lol

I would get my 6 dogs out and go hunting, they would tree a cat fast then boom boom I got a new rug for the den. How often will an event like this happen in your lifetime? I heard tho that 35 or so were killed right off so that leaves about 10 or so left.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:46 PM   #17
rookie5.56

rifle preferably, I think this for one reason. Stay in the house and you have a wall they have to penetrate. I dont know about you, but trying to take down a bear or lion (in pistol range), who can close the distance quickly and might not like the first shot. This is not on my list of things to do!

Last edited by rookie5.56; October 19, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:14 PM   #18
PigFarmer

My wife saw this in the news

And when she found out my biggest round was comming from an old springfiled 30-06 that I inherited she started comming around to my thinking that I need a new rifle for bigger game. Now nobody tell her that the 180 gr handloads I have would handle just about everyone of those animals provided I got the drop on it.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Daugherty16

Its Jumanji!

Fun to joke about, but not really funny. A big cat can move so quickly, and so quietly, and is so strong, it almost warrants heading to your panic room until its over.

Or, you could put some meat out on the front porch, and sit back a little ways with your Slugster. Remember to take the dowel out so you can load up 5 rounds instead of 3. I like Federal Copper Solids, 1.25 oz at about 1900 fps. Good excuse to wear your bandoliers too, sort of a practice round for when the zombies come...
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:47 PM   #20
Archer 9505

12 gauge with slugs

brenneke_combined_tract_a.jpg

brenneke_r10_j.jpg

+1 on the 12 gauge slug suggestion.
Old October 19, 2011, 04:25 PM   #21
BlackFeather

I have a good female friend out there, I hope everything has gone well. I've just read that they had to kill most of them. It's truly sad that they had to do that. Especially the endangered species, like the Tigers. The idea of hunting them down for fun, is just shameful. Protect what you need but go no further.

Also "During the chaos, several individuals were arrested for attempting to steal the carcass of a lion that had been killed." http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-animal...ry?id=14767017

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old October 19, 2011, 04:32 PM   #22
doofus47

Quote:
The news was like "people in the area are advised to stay indoors", I'm thinking "indoors?! I'd be in a tree!"
HA! this is like those surfers who flock to the beach during a hurricane!

Who's got a goat staked out like in "Ghost and Darkness" ?
Old October 19, 2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Mainah

The animals are better off now, living in a cage under the stewardship of a lunatic can't be much of a life for a lion or a tiger. I'm not usually a fan of more laws, but it does seem that the folks in Ohio might want to tighten up their exotic animal regulations.

Personally I'd be more worried about all the people running around trying to bag the animals than the animals themselves. My front door would stop a lion, but not a slug.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:11 PM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be climbing the tree in downtown any more than I would during deer season.

Just because you go lion hunting doesn't mean you're a lunatic who shoots at people's houses.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:23 PM   #25
MLeake

Last I had heard, they were still looking for a Grizzly Bear, a Lion, and a Monkey.... which sounded to me like the lead-in to a joke, until I realized they were serious.

My first thought was an animal rights activist had set them loose. Unfortunately, guys like this preserve owner are a big reason why there are so many over-the-top activists... But it was the owner, himself.

I find it weird that a convicted felon could maintain the licenses to keep those animals, though, especially since he'd had citations for not maintaining them properly.