The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 23, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
sltm1

Pistol Loader

I found this on Ebay, looks like a good one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Powder-Pis...item1c1685c10d
Old October 23, 2010, 07:54 PM   #2
mykeal

A very important feature of the Powder, Inc. type design is the ability to move the cylinder arbor mount relative to the axis of the plunger, thus accommodating different diameter cylinders. This unit does not appear to have that capability.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:21 PM   #3
kwhi43

A very bad design. Watch the video. You have to pull the plunger up by
hand after each ball. Just "Mickey Mouse" Handle too short, He had to beat
the balls in. No pin to set the cylinder on to load. Bad, just Bad all way around. I will keep my "Powder Inc" one.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Hardcase

Quote:
A very important feature of the Powder, Inc. type design is the ability to move the cylinder arbor mount relative to the axis of the plunger, thus accommodating different diameter cylinders. This unit does not appear to have that capability.
That's because this one doesn't have an arbor. Watch the video, starting at about 8 minutes. The cylinder just sits on the baseplate.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:49 PM   #5
zippy13

We just had a thread on "What is the best pistol ball loader" where Rifleman1776 opined:
Quote:
Easy enough project to make on your own from wood if you have some wood working tools.
I totally agree. I made these two oak loaders for much less than the $50 for the one on eBay. My tools were just a power saw, drill press, and a sander.

Old October 23, 2010, 10:18 PM   #6
kwhi43

Yes, I like yours. Bet it works good too.
Old October 23, 2010, 10:40 PM   #7
sltm1

OK,OK,OK.........I was just tryin' to help out. I dion't have one either here's mine, although I don't use it much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loader1.jpg (33.6 KB, 111 views)
Old October 24, 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
zippy13

sltm1,
With the horseshoe motif and return spring, I really like your press. If I had access to welding equipment, I'd be tempted to "borrow" from your design. Since I have very limited metal working capabilities, I tried to make something simple in wood that would look nice.
Old October 24, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
sltm1

zippy13, Thanks for the compliment. If you ever get around to making one I'll give you all the spec''s.
Old October 30, 2010, 10:56 PM   #10
HisSoldier

Most loaders I see have a built in tendency to impart fore and aft load on the ram, not a big deal but details like that bug the heck out of me.

Much ado about nothing I suppose. The requirements aren't that precise.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:38 PM   #11
zippy13

HisSoldier,
If you mean the simple lever and pinned ram type (the ones you see advertised for around $12), then yes, geometry dictates the pin isn't driven vertically. Look at the eBay ram or the ones made by me and sltm1. There is are common elements in the designs: the ram is held vertical by some sort of guide, and there isn't a direct connection between the lever and ram. The one on eBay and sltm1's use a slide and mine a toggle link.

I'm with you, when I realized the $12 loader didn't ram true, it bothered me, too. You don't want a wobbly ram messing up your cylinders. That's why I figured there was a better way and designed the wood toggle-link loader. I could make it with minimal simple machine work. With your CNC capabilities, I imagine you could make a really nice wobble-free loader.
Old November 1, 2010, 04:17 AM   #12
Smokin_Gun

No answers to specific questions

This guy never replied to the questions I asked him on eBay...no email and they din't show up on the eBay page ...asked about a Walker .44, a Dragoon .44, a R&S.44, and an ROA .44 ... He said any C&B .44, .36, and .32 cals which s/b .31 cal saw the demo and if I have to smack my hand to load a C&B cylinder why would I it for $50 + shipping. Go ask him a Q and see if he answers you...
STM1 made a better one than that.
Two thumbs down when I'm ingore and a potental customer. :barf:
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old November 1, 2010, 09:41 AM   #13
grymster2007

What ever happened to 6gun4fun and his Triple P loader?
Old November 1, 2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Noz

I like the one Sam'l colt designed. One come with every Colt or colt styled cap and ball. Even Remington has them.
Old November 1, 2010, 02:13 PM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
What ever happened to 6gun4fun and his Triple P loader?
Good question, grym, anyone know for sure? 6gun4fun is a forum member, but hasn't posted anything since last February.

I almost ordered a loader last spring; but, at the time, the negative feedback was too much for my comfort zone. I just checked 6gun4fun.com and the site is no longer active.
Old November 1, 2010, 02:37 PM   #16
Smokin_Gun

From last I heard from him he was ill and i don't know to what degree...that was the last I've heard from him it was about Father's Day a year ago. He had sent me a .45cal felt/cardboard wad cutter attachment as it hadn't been invented when I bought my Cyl. Loader from him, at no charge....and said Happy Father's day.
That's all I got and I hope he's well and still around ... I've seen alot a harmful words about him that kinda bugged me as he may not have been able to do anything about.
I hope that don't happen to me, I hate bein' talked about especially badly. :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old November 1, 2010, 05:43 PM   #17
HisSoldier

Quote:
With your CNC capabilities, I imagine you could make a really nice wobble-free loader.
I did, it is very tight as far as lost motion goes. The one on ebay does has provision for eliminating side motion but there's no bushing, so I doubt that it's effective beyond a certain limited point. Some of the members are probably tired of seeing this;

If I were making them on a production basis this would be a prototype, and there would be many changes. Once you get the design elements right the next part is to redesign it so it will be cheap enough to sell, after sending some out for field testing of course. I knocked this one out in one setting on a Saturday afternoon.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:29 PM   #18
zippy13

Quote:
Quote:
With your CNC capabilities, I imagine you could make a really nice wobble-free loader.
I did, it is very tight as far as lost motion goes.
The truth be known, I was aware of HisSoldier's impressive loader and consulted him about some of it's features while designing mine. Thanks, again, for your gracious help, HisSoldier.
Old November 8, 2010, 08:32 PM   #19
zullo74

Last edited by zullo74; November 9, 2010 at 09:50 PM.