The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2018, 10:22 PM   #1
TruthTellers

S...field XD-E

I found out yesterday that a company I don't like for certain reasons came out with a DA/SA single stack subcompact polymer frame in 9mm and .45 and it doesn't have the stupid grip safety.

I watched a review of it and the reviewer mentioned the slide is also designed to be easier to rack, which may not seem like it's important, but the smaller the pistol, the more difficult it seems to work the slide, especially under stress.

Currently, I don't own a single stack 9mm, I had narrowed it down to either the Ruger LC9s or the Walther PPS M2, but this XD-E has grabbed my attention.

While I do not like the company, the pistol is pretty unique compared to others on the market and it appears to have been released last year. Has anybody here owned or shot one? Do you think it's one of the better options for a single stack subcompact 9mm?
Old December 9, 2018, 07:40 AM   #2
OhioGuy

I've shot one several times. It's in a class of its own, really. I can't say it's one of the better options -- I can say it's the only DA/SA option in its class.

I think the SA trigger pull is at least comparable to, or better than, any of the striker 9mm. The DA is kind of long but not terribly heavy, and pretty easy to get used to. Ergonomically it's very nicely designed and it did fit my hand well.

It lacks the "stupid" grip safety (a feature that I've always though was well designed and made a lot of sense, and never interfered with my use of an XD) and adds a thumb safety that also serves as a decocker. You do not have to carry with the safety engaged, which I think would be a silly thing to do with a DA pistol anyways. The decocker is easy enough to work, but you won't be accidentally engaging the safety with your thumb. You can manipulate the slide to eject or load rounds with the safety engaged, though.

It's definitely on the large and heavy side for a single stack 9. It's really not terribly smaller than a typical compact pistol like a Glock 19 other than being slimmer. That also makes it easier to handle and control during firing.

Overall I liked the gun. I also like DA/SA guns generally. If DA/SA is something you specifically want, then it's your only option in this category and a very good one. If DA/SA is not something you specifically want, then I can't say there's anything about the XD-E that stands out enough to really make it appealing. My personal favorite among single stack 9mm is still the Walther PPS M2, and of course, the Sig P365 has completely redefined what capacity means at this size.

Oh, and yes the XD-E slide is noticeably easier to rack than other guns.
Old December 9, 2018, 07:50 AM   #3
TruthTellers

The DA pull is what's appealing to me. When I narrowed down to the LC9s and PPS, I did begin to think a DA/SA would be safer as no matter what I got, if it had a manual safety, it would be off when it's carried.
Old December 9, 2018, 08:01 AM   #4
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
The DA pull is what's appealing to me. When I narrowed down to the LC9s and PPS, I did begin to think a DA/SA would be safer as no matter what I got, if it had a manual safety, it would be off when it's carried.
There is some margin of safety against getting on the trigger too soon -- although under stress, I don't know that a few extra pounds of resistance will do anything against pulling it.

I believe the biggest safety margin offered by a hammer-fired gun, against one of the most common causes of negligent discharges, is the ability to ride the hammer with your thumb when putting back into a holster. The trigger is immobilized in case anything might get inside the trigger guard. Incidental, the grip safety offers the same safety, since the trigger is also immobilized -- if you ride the back of the slide with your thumb, then the grip safety pops out and is engaged. The PPS M2 at least has the exposed striker on the back that will jab you pretty hard if the trigger encounters resistance.

But in my opinion a DA first pull is a very good thing, as it offers the same safety as any manual type design without any possibility of forgetting to engage something or not gripping the weapon properly. Takes getting used to, but yes it's possible to be perfectly accurate with a 12 lb. trigger. Like anything else it requires training. People who carry DA/SA and never actually fire it in DA are setting themselves up for failure but consistent shooting and dry firing with the DA trigger will make it perfectly manageable. My do-everything pistol is a CZ P-07 and I love it.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:55 AM   #5
bjw741

I like my 9mm XD-E a lot. It is my current preferred CCW. I only carry DA/SA and it is the thinnest, lightest DA/SA I am aware of. Very easy to conceal AIWB even with the extended mag which I prefer. The extended mag gives you a very nice full purchase on the weapon and provides 9+1 capacity. I have never had any malfunction with mine and the DA pull is not perceptibly different to me than any of my other DA/SA pistols.

So yes, I think its one of the better options for a single stack subcompact 9mm.
Old December 9, 2018, 11:40 AM   #6
HistoryJunky

I have only seen the XD-E. While I do prefer DA/SA, it is too big IMO for a single stack 9. My double stack G26 isn't much bigger width wise.

And as an Illinois resident, I still feel burned by Springfield Armory supporting a gun dealer licensing bill.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2018, 01:55 PM   #7
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
I have only seen the XD-E. While I do prefer DA/SA, it is too big IMO for a single stack 9. My double stack G26 isn't much bigger width wise.

And as an Illinois resident, I still feel burned by Springfield Armory supporting a gun dealer licensing bill.

I forgot they did that. I guess it is time for me to dump my piece. Glock 19 it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2018, 04:43 PM   #8
kymasabe

Might I suggest you check out the Beretta Nano, my daughter owns one, loves it, very nice subcompact 9mm.
Old December 9, 2018, 04:56 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post

That's why I don't want to buy one, but the XD-E is unique and I feel will be a safer carry pistol, not just for the DA pull, but second strikes as well. I know most quality JHP will work on the first hit, but... Murphy's law.

The G26/27 argument is valid, I have the G27, but I do see the added comfort/concealability with a single stack and I currently don't own a single stack 9.

Given how unpopular Springfield is with their gun politics, they've been doing a lot of rebates. Right now it's 3 free mags, but I'll wait for a better rebate to come along and a sale from a store. The XD-E ships with 3 mags already and I don't see the need to own 6 mags with a single stack pistol. 3 is plenty.
Old December 9, 2018, 08:31 PM   #10
OhioGuy

One thing I wish they'd done with the XD-E is to make the smallest magazine shorter, equivalent to an XD-S or G43.

That's really the part that sticks out.

A quality AIWB holster with a claw attachment will conceal even a long grip, but sometimes I don't carry in that position and obviously the majority never do.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:45 PM   #11
MisterCrabby

S...field XD-E

the XDe 45 has been my edc for about 9 mo. I got it and like it for the reasons OP is interested. I’ve had zero failures with a wide variety of ammo. It’s heavy loaded... 45 acp is heavy. I think the weight lessens felt recoil. It’s tough to fire one handed. I would like a bit softer da pull weight. The sa is ok. The take up could be a bit more crisp for both. Get a tuck type holster and a good belt as it will droop otherwise. Good luck with your selection.
Old December 10, 2018, 01:01 AM   #12
TruthTellers

Another thing I'll note is out of the other 9mm's I've mentioned, the Springfield is the only one that has a rail.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:22 PM   #13
tahunua001

I personally love springfield but find the XD-e to be the answer to a question that nobody asked. the XD-E has a fantastic trigger, if a little heavy on the DA side. it has excellent ergonomics, if a little on the small side. the sights are great, but the sight radius could be a bit longer. it's a single stack, but almost the same size as their double stack models.

personally, I would rather they released a full sized double stack version that takes the same mags as the XD or XDM. it makes much more sense to be a duty pistol than a oversized concealed carry pistol. I sold mine and replaced it with a compact 9mm 1911, also springfield.
Old December 14, 2018, 09:20 AM   #14
Real Gun

The rebate package arrived yesterday and proved to be one of each of the three types/sizes of mags that came with the gun. Also included was a branded, two-gun range bag.
Old December 14, 2018, 01:43 PM   #15
jr24

The XD-E is unusually heavy for a polymer gun and isnt all that lighter and nearly the same size as a Sig P239, which I find to be a better gun.

I find the trigger OK not great for a DA/SA and the safety completely pointless (unless you want cocked and locked I guess, which might be ok).

End of the day, hard pass from me. If I wanted a DA/SA single stack that size, I'd find a 239. More likely I'd find a compact doublestack like an HK compact to fit that roll, or a CZ RAMI.
Old December 14, 2018, 03:58 PM   #16
Real Gun

A single stack grip size and a slide that is easier to rack than most 9mm sounds like it addresses shooters with smaller hands and less strength. That could be some ladies or any senior shooter with smaller hands. That was an important factor for me.

I had once carried a Kimber CDP II Compact regularly, so carrying the XD-E cocked and locked is not a big issue for me.

New holster arrived today. It is a design like a Crossbreed tuck or Galco Supertuck but is less expensive and also with belt cuts for OWB. It is by Keyhole Holsters through Amazon. The little nylon padded IWB that came with the gun was too high a ride for me and had only one support point. I can't even feel that I am wearing the new holster. It is very much like the Supertuck for my Kimber but more versatile and very adjustable, although the defaults that it came with suit me as-is.
Old December 14, 2018, 04:35 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But actually they didn't if you fully research the issue. So don't feel bad about buying, or owning one of their fine products.
As for the XD-E itself it doesn't appeal to me for a carry gun. I do like my XD 40 Sub Compact, and think SA makes a good product. I just personally feel the fewer things moving around outside the frame on my carry gun, the better.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 14, 2018, 09:24 PM   #18
Real Gun

Quote:
The XD-E is unusually heavy for a polymer gun
While 2 ounces lighter than a XD subcompact DAO.
Old December 14, 2018, 09:39 PM   #19
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
While 2 ounces lighter than a XD subcompact DAO.
Heavier than a bigger, double stack Glock 19. Almost the same weight as the composite framed Sig 239.

For a polymer, CCW, single stack I expect lighter.
Old December 14, 2018, 10:04 PM   #20
Real Gun

Quote:
For a polymer, CCW, single stack I expect lighter
Such as?
Old December 14, 2018, 10:19 PM   #21
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
Such as?
Any of the single stack competitors? Off of the top of my head the LC9, Shield, PPS and Glock 43 are 20 oz or less.

Or, heck, a Glock 19 or 26.

But whatever, if you like your heavy 8 shot da/sa, great.
Old December 14, 2018, 10:39 PM   #22
Real Gun

The XD-E Loaded 8+1 weighs an ounce less than a Glock 19 15+1, and the Glock is not single stack. I have a Glock 22 and prefer not to carry a 4" barrel nor a DAO nor a fat grip in my smallish hands. My Glock serves well as a bedroom gun with light and laser, secure in a lockbox. I have the XD-E in what for me is an ideal holster, and I don't even think about its weight or bulk. I have carried a compact 1911 and some pretty beefy revolvers. I never pocket carry. I dress to conceal. So there are just no issues for me to dislike this XD-E. Someone else may feel differently and obviously there are choices.

I have had the XD-E to the range twice, running about 100 rounds, and had no issues. I like the way it shoots and would not want anything lighter and harder (for me) to control.
Old December 15, 2018, 01:07 AM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
The XD-E is unusually heavy for a polymer gun and isnt all that lighter and nearly the same size as a Sig P239, which I find to be a better gun.
Wow, go figure that the $900 gun is better than the $400 gun. I think you deserve a promotion to Major, Captain Obvious.

Quote:
I find the trigger OK not great for a DA/SA and the safety completely pointless (unless you want cocked and locked I guess, which might be ok).
The safety is clearly there to be sold in certain states that mandate a manual safety. I do not intend to use it, not do I intend to use a grip safety on Springfield's other pistols, but they insist on including them.

Quote:
End of the day, hard pass from me. If I wanted a DA/SA single stack that size, I'd find a 239. More likely I'd find a compact doublestack like an HK compact to fit that roll, or a CZ RAMI.
I haven't checked the width on those pistols, but they don't interest me. As to other, lighter single stack pistols you mentioned, the LC9s and PPS M2 are on my list in competition with the XD-E, but the LC9 is very thin and light and being the owner of two LCP's, I can see the recoil of that LC9 being as bad as the LCP and affecting my ability to shoot after 20 rounds.

The PPS I haven't handled yet, no stores near me have one, but many sing its praises for ergonomics, so I haven't ruled it out yet.

I don't care for the G43, too large IMO, and the Shield I'm not all that familiar with.

Bottom line is DA/SA is what I'm after and the XD-E offers it in a small package, albeit a bit heavier than other single stack compacts. Not necessarily a bad thing, it should reduce recoil.

Last edited by TruthTellers; December 15, 2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old December 15, 2018, 08:52 AM   #24
Real Gun

Quote:
I sold mine and replaced it with a compact 9mm 1911, also springfield.
I would like that but wouldn't afford the difference in price.
Old December 15, 2018, 11:05 AM   #25
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I haven't checked the width on those pistols, but they don't interest me. As to other, lighter single stack pistols you mentioned, the LC9s and PPS M2 are on my list in competition with the XD-E, but the LC9 is very thin and light and being the owner of two LCP's, I can see the recoil of that LC9 being as bad as the LCP and affecting my ability to shoot after 20 rounds.

The PPS I haven't handled yet, no stores near me have one, but many sing its praises for ergonomics, so I haven't ruled it out yet.

I don't care for the G43, too large IMO, and the Shield I'm not all that familiar with.

Bottom line is DA/SA is what I'm after and the XD-E offers it in a small package, albeit a bit heavier than other single stack compacts. Not necessarily a bad thing, it should reduce recoil.
I think you've answered all questions then, right? If DA/SA is on your must-have list, and you're ok with 8+1 capacity, then the XD-E is a competent pistol and the only one in its category. I was very close to buying that model myself -- due to the size and weight being so much higher than comparable single stack guns, I sized up to the CZ P-07. Look at the specs, and when fully loaded, the height and length of the XD-E is almost the same. The CZ is about 0.3" wider -- and yes it does make a difference -- but under most clothing it's not an issue, and you get double the capacity for not much more weight. And about the same price.

My single stack choice is the Walther PPS M2. The exposed striker that pokes out the back when the trigger is pulled adds the margin of safety against my own dumbassery, somewhat the same as thumbing the hammer when holstering the DA/SA gun. And it's much lighter than the XD-E. I classify the springfield as too small to be a double-stack and too big to be a single stack. The post about it being "the answer to a question nobody asked" resonated with me.

So if as you say, you don't care about width, and you definitely want DA/SA, I would very strongly recommend you just up the width a bit and go with a C-P07, Beretta PX4 Compact, or HK P30SK. They're all fantastic guns and give you double the capacity for not much more size.

(Also confused on your comment about the G43 being too large -- it's identical to the PPS and XD-S, and smaller than the XD-E)

But anyways, if you get the XD-E, you'll have a pretty good DA/SA pistol that's easy to conceal, has decent capacity and will probably go a million rounds between failures. That's a nice thing about the gun market today -- barring a few uber-chintzy budget guns, there's hardly a bad option out there.