The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2017, 11:18 PM   #1
JohnKSa
Staff

Dallas PD pulls the P320 from their Approved List.

It appears that the Dallas PD has concerns about whether or not the P320 is drop safe and has gone so far as to tell any officers that are using the P320 that it is no longer on the DPD approved list.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...till-repaired/

It's sort of a bizarre situation. DPD admits that they aren't taking the action on the basis of a problem experienced by one of their officers--they claim it is the result of a notification from SIG. But SIG says that they're not issuing a recall.

I'm not sure I fully understand how this whole snowball got rolling but I am sure there will be a lot of visibility as this situation develops.
Old August 2, 2017, 11:36 PM   #2
sigarms228

The DPD had been saying that there was an incident where someone dropped a P320 during training and claiming it went off by itself calling it an AD which prompted the recall. Now their spokesperson is backing off on that and saying that never happened. Why in the world would SIG contact just DPD apparently to tell them there is a problem with the P320? Others are saying that someone at DPD read in the manual of the P320 where it states that "any firearm may fire if dropped", is that what they consider a notification from SIG? Something fishy about the whole story. Supposedly SIG is to release a statement in the near future.

Last edited by sigarms228; August 3, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old August 2, 2017, 11:50 PM   #3
JoeSixpack

What the Hell!?.. Didn't the P320 get adopted as the M17 recently? How would such a defect not show up in testing by the military?

Im still confused if there is an actual problem or not after reading that.
I will however say the notice in the manual they posted is BS.
I personally believe drop safety should be top priority in all weapon design these days.

There is really no excuse for a gun especially a handgun which is often carried for defense not to have a robust safety system.

I Seen them drop a glock out of a plane into a corn field, no discharge, tossed out of a 2 story window, no discharge.

I my self have dropped my lowely hi-point c9 down a flight of stairs, no discharge..

Even if it was demanded by a lawyer it be put in the manual thats still no excuse in my book.
Old August 3, 2017, 12:11 AM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
Even if it was demanded by a lawyer it be put in the manual thats still no excuse in my book.
I'll wager the money in my pockets that SIG is far from the only firearms manufacturer to have a similar warning in their manuals.

My understanding of the P320 safety system makes this event just as unlikely as any number of manufacturers. Idk what happened and frankly what I've read so far doesn't convince me that anyone really knows what happened. We may find out in the end, we may not (sure is great clickbait for the websites in the meantime). An incident with one pistol really doesn't tell us much about the product line as a whole. If there's a recall I'll follow it, but until then I've seen too many incidents where individuals blame their mistakes on the products that this doesn't make me think I need to treat the P320 with any more caution than I do the other firearms I own.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 3, 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old August 3, 2017, 04:24 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas PD
There have been no reported incidents of an accidental discharge involving this weapon because of the defect.
So, Dallas isn't saying that a 320 didn't discharge when dropped. They are saying that whatever happened did not happen as a result of the specific "defect" they identified. Which, knowing Dallas, was probably located between the trainee's ears.
Old August 3, 2017, 06:48 AM   #6
B-Shot

Maybe someone is mad because they can't carry their Glock.........Was this breaking news from CNN? Which statement is true from the Dallas PD?
Old August 3, 2017, 07:05 AM   #7
OhioGuy

It's amazing how fast this kind of news travels and seemingly gets accepted. Just yesterday I heard someone at my range say "I was set to buy a P320, but it just came out that they can fire if they're dropped, and there's no way I'm carrying something like that!"

It is an odd story. But who knows, maybe Sig has a soft spot for the city of Dallas specifically, and wants to be sure that police and citizens there are protected from falling pistols before the rest of the world knows about it?
Old August 3, 2017, 08:11 AM   #8
zipspyder

I guess the Dallas PD has small hands. Here's a hint, don't drop the dam pistol. I don't think I've ever dropped one of mine that I can recall. That being said better safe than sorry. With the military contract these defects should get ironed out.
Old August 3, 2017, 08:26 AM   #9
Deaf Smith

This is why I let others 'beta' test the new guns before I buy.

I still use S&W older revolvers and 3ed gen autos, Ruger revolvers, Glocks, 1911s, Browning High Power, and the old Sig 229/239 9mm cause I know they are tested and well known to work.

If you guys want to jump on the new gizmo wagon go ahead! Just don't drop it.

Deaf
Old August 3, 2017, 08:55 AM   #10
BILLG

I love how people accept this to be true when there is no evidence what so ever that it happened.Bruce Gray says it is not possible unless parts are removed or modified.Thats good enough for me.Even the DPD says there was no incident of a p320 going off.You people are like a chicken little screaming the sky is falling the sky is falling. lol I will continue to carry and use my p320.
Old August 3, 2017, 09:01 AM   #11
zipspyder

Quote:
I love how people accept this to be true when there is no evidence what so ever that it happened.Bruce Gray says it is not possible unless parts are removed or modified.Thats good enough for me.Even the DPD says there was no incident of a p320 going off.You people are like a chicken little screaming the sky is falling the sky is falling. lol I will continue to carry and use my p320.
Somebody copied and pasted the official PD memo online. It will be fixed just like every other manufacturer does.

Quote:
Sig Sauer has identified that there is a defect in the P320 handgun that could cause the weapon system to go off when dropped. The Sig Sauer P320 was approved for primary duty, secondary primary duty, and back-up use. The Firearms Training Center is currently working with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution for the safety issue. Until Sig Sauer is able to find a solution to the safety issue, the Sig Sauer P320 is no longer approved by the ****** Police Department for any use.

Those officers that currently have a Sig Sauer P320 as a primary duty weapon will have the following two options:

Option 1 – Go to the Firearms Training Center on Monday, July 31st , during business hours, to be issued a city Sig Sauer P226 and qualify with that weapon.

Option 2 – Purchase another city approved weapon and respond to the Range on Monday, July 31st , during business hours, to qualify with that weapon.

Until getting another weapon and qualifying, officers need to practice increased safety with these weapon systems.

The Firearms Training Center staff is working diligently with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution and will keep officers informed of the status.
Old August 3, 2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Big Dog Dad

I am a firm believer that this is just another example of the way govt officials in this country conduct business under the table. Glock paid a bigger bribe than Sig did. Bigger money under the table, you win!!

-=BDD=-
Old August 3, 2017, 09:33 AM   #13
zipspyder

Just to follow up on the copy of the memo I posted there have been no reports or incidents of accidental discharge that occurred at the Dallas PD. That came from a separate post online so it must have happened during testing or such....
Old August 3, 2017, 10:31 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

This makes me wonder about things...

Was Dallas the ONLY people "notified by Sig??

IF so, why?? if not, why has NO ONE else said anything???

Might it be possible Dallas got "pranked" by someone PRETENDING to BE Sig???

Cause, you know, if you read it on the internet (or it comes in your Email,) it MUST be true, right??? Right???
Old August 3, 2017, 11:47 AM   #15
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipspyder
Somebody copied and pasted the official PD memo online. It will be fixed just like every other manufacturer does.
All I have seen are transcriptions of a claimed memo. Being originally from Missouri, I naturally invited people making the claim to post a photo or scan of the memo.
Old August 3, 2017, 12:04 PM   #16
zipspyder

Quote:
All I have seen are transcriptions of a claimed memo. Being originally from Missouri, I naturally invited people making the claim to post a photo or scan of the memo.
You are correct sir. The one I posted was a memo without any official PD header and the other was a pic from a chat screen. Just offering whatever little info is out there. Everybody should take this stuff with a heavy dose of skepticism.

Last edited by zipspyder; August 3, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old August 3, 2017, 12:32 PM   #17
Bartholomew Roberts

I am not sure how The Firearms Blog works; but the author in that article (Patrick R) claimed he confirmed the memo with the Dallas PIO and quoted an actual media relations officer with Dallas. If you are trying to gain credibility as a news source, that seems like a silly prank to play - not to mention the open invitation to a libel lawsuit.
Old August 3, 2017, 02:04 PM   #18
ShootistPRS

What probably happened here is that one person decided to read the operators manual and when he/she found the line that said the pistol could discharge if dropped decided it was a known defect.
Sig did not notify anyone - other than the caution in the owners manual - the DPD contacted Sig to find out whether this was a defect or a cautionary statement.
Some smart young guy is going to approach the DPD and offer to run extensive tests to expose the defect so that suits can be filed and the PD reimbursed for their expenses - for a small amount to cover costs. Lets see he will need a test structure that is explosion proof in which to drop the guns at various heights and safety clothing and gear for his staff, and first aid and trauma kits for when someone is injured. I would say that 2 to 3 million dollars should cover the costs of testing - other than industrial insurance, of course.
Old August 3, 2017, 08:20 PM   #19
sigarms228

Looks like SIG has updated their warning in the P320 manual that can be downloaded on SIGs website.

Old August 3, 2017, 09:10 PM   #20
WyMark

FAKE NEWS!

I wonder if the DPD P320's will be available for cheap? They're defective after all. I'd take my chances for $100, and I suspect the "fat envelope from the Glock rep" theory is the most likely cause.
Old August 3, 2017, 09:39 PM   #21
Gats Italian

Sig says "it can happen to anyone."

It happens to some pistols a lot easier than others. . . .
Old August 3, 2017, 09:41 PM   #22
JoeSixpack

@sigarms228
Ah, that's a little bit more like it.
The lawyers are still happy without the gun being made to sound like a P.o.S
Old August 3, 2017, 09:43 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
It happens to some pistols a lot easier than others. . . .
You have evidence of this?
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 3, 2017, 09:56 PM   #24
Dufus

Quote:
Maybe someone is mad because they can't carry their Glock.........
I'd be mad if I had to carry a glock.
Old August 3, 2017, 11:47 PM   #25
TXAZ

There are enough holes in this story that I'm thinking there is an urban legend in the making.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes