The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2019, 02:09 PM   #1
old fart

how many holsters? and longevity?

I have a bad habit of having backups, not only with guns but holsters too and most everything else. I live in Kentucky and opened carry till 5 years ago when I got my permit to conceal a weapon. I bought a Desantis holster then, a dual carry 2, I bought two of them so I would have one for IWB and one for owb without having to change on the clip. I carry everyday 6-12 hours and carry 7 day a week, both holsters still look great without any wear to speak of. with that though I have now bought two more and put them up as back up. I even think I might need backup to my back up. I am on a tight budget and can't save to get a high dollar holster, i have tried and somehing comes up to get my money. But I can't complain on the Desantis, so my question is this, do any of ya'll have backup holsters? and about how long will a decent leather holster last? thanks for any help.
Old September 12, 2019, 02:43 PM   #2
MTT TL

I have three different CCWs that I carry regularly. I vary what weapon I carry based upon what clothes I am wearing. Two have Bianchi holsters and the third is synthetic.

The Bianchi holster that I use the most shows no wear after about two years use, wearing several times a week. There is a permeant crease where I sit. The other has no signs of wear at all.

I find leather to be much more comfortable with IWB, than any other kind of material.

I have found that all leather products from Mexico and the US (when you can find them) are several magnitudes better than the junk made in China and India. The thickness, richness of the product coloring and stitching are all superior. I previously had a leather/ Kydex holster made from Chinese leather that was badly worn after about a year of use.
Old September 12, 2019, 03:33 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

leather

Check out Relentless holsters
Old September 12, 2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Pahoo

To be exact, a long time !!!???

Quote:
about how long will a decent leather holster last? thanks for any help.
I am a leather crafter and routinely do repairs and modifications on holsters. Leather is a dynamic media and when cared for and protected, will outlive us. There are a number of factors to consider. The oldest leather holsters that I have are from the mid to late 1800's. I also have a couple of "Shot-Snakes" whose thickness is thinner that are still in pretty good shape. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old September 12, 2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Modern CCW holsters are different. Unlike older soft and flexible "cowboy" holsters modern CCW holsters need to be hard and firm to retain the gun properly.

The service life depends on the conditions under which it's used.
As example sweating on it in a New Orleans summer it won't last as long as a holster used in a Green Bay winter.

Leather stretches with use.
A holsters service life is over when it no longer holds the gun snugly and allows it to shift and move around, no matter how good it looks.

It's not possible to restore a holster by wetting it and molding the leather around the gun again.
That's strictly a temporary fix and the leather quickly stretches back out, only more so, because the wetting and molding stretches the leather even more.

I recommend applying a wax to CCW holsters and belts to protect and preserve them.
Holster and belt maintenance is important, but few people do any.
Using leather oils and dressings invariably softens the leather and that allows it to stretch faster.

Like a set of car tires a good CCW holster has a service life dependent on the conditions in which it's used.
You don't drive on bald tires, you don't use a holster once it's used up.
Old September 12, 2019, 10:04 PM   #6
rock185

Old fart, I am one too While I usually have more than one holster that will fit a particular type of gun, I don't recall buying backup holsters. I have holsters made by Gordon Davis 30-35 years ago, IIRC. I wore them regularly back in the day. They are still serviceable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9166.JPG (88.5 KB, 17 views)
Old September 13, 2019, 12:56 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...how long will a decent leather holster last..." Depends on how well it's cared for. A lot of us have W.W. II vintage issue holsters that are fine.
Clean and dry is important to leather. Regular shoe polish has waxes in it that will help keep it clean and water resistant.
Old September 13, 2019, 07:21 PM   #8
cw308

I have two carry guns , I have two holsters for each and a box of tried holsters that didn't work . My snub has leather holsters , one inside one out . My 3" 1911 inside Vedder tydex litetuck , outside a leather custom that's not much more then your DeSantis , custom jobs take more time, I had to wait 8 weeks . Leather and stitching is superior , will last a lifetime.