The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2000, 07:56 PM   #1
LASur5r

DocRocket,
Eons ago you asked if I would write down some of the things that has happened in my crazy past. I have posted some stories, but what format should I use?
What do you think is the best way to present these stories? If I put down the whole story? Or just present part of it and ask the folks to respond?
Help???
Also, all you posters and lurkers, not only Doc...which way would you like me to post these stories?

Stop posting all together?
; ;
Old August 30, 2000, 08:36 PM   #2
ctdonath

Give the whole tale. Better to know what actually happened than let the armchair warriors guess.
Old August 31, 2000, 05:42 PM   #3
LASur5r

Okay CTDonath,
Thank you for your response...
Here's another one: (Please respond...if you're so inclined.)

We had just moved into our new house about a week. Our house is a track home that is close to the top of a hill and all houses are terraced.
I sleep with windows slightly open..windows are blocked and alarmed to prevent entry. Somewhere around midnight, I hear one of the creepiest sounds that still haunts me from time to time.
A female voice in a normal tone, but begging for help, pled, "Someone help me! Please someone....Oh God!"
I was sort of up at that point, at least I sat up in bed, looked at my wife, she was asleep. Wiped the sleep out of my eyes and shook my head to clear some of the cobwebs out.
Listened and got up to grab my 1911 rig. As I moved from room to room, I changed to dark clothes...not seeing or hearing anything more, I called the PD non-emergency number and talked to the desk sergeant. I described myself to the desk sergeant, emphasizing that I would be armed.
In two minutes time, two units responded and the three of us spent a fruitless search for this poor victim, whoever she is.
I have a teenage daughter now and I pray that nothing bad ever happens to her, especially something like this...I still wake up in a sweat sometimes, thinking that I didn't do enough...
Any suggestions?

Old September 1, 2000, 07:53 PM   #4
jbetz

Interesting account Lasur5r.
I had a similar experience about 5 years ago while staying at my parents house. I was awakened by the sound of a child's voice yelling, only once "somebody help me!" Freaked out, knowing that there weren't any kids in the house I jumped out of bed reaching for my handgun and realized that I wasn't at home so it wasn't at my bedside but in my bag downstairs. "D'oh!" I checked my parents room, sound asleep. I called the police and crept downstairs and searched the house after getting my gun out of my bag. We checked around the house and block, nothing.
I know what you are saying about that still haunting you, I still hear it sometimes too. I guess I have just passed it off as a dream though. Still disturbing enough that I always make sure my gun goes to bed with me wherever I am.