The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Nube

Rifle kit

Asking about a first build. I have a stripped lower and am looking for a good “kit” to finish it with. I am just a beginner so you have to cut me some slack. I have found this and it doesn’t look too bad https://www.geauxarmory.com/silver-b...ild-p-394.html to me. Give me your opinion on that... good or bad ( price and quality) I would like to be able to get the rifle to shoot 1 moa at least if I do my part. Thanks for the replies
Old December 3, 2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I have no experience with the site you linked. It seems they are limited in choices.
I have been happy with my build kit for a 300 Blackout pistol from Palmeto State armory
https://palmettostatearmory.com
Also, you don't have to get an entire "kit" from one source. I built a 450 Bushy with a lower kit, and Magpul stock from Palmetto with an AR Stoner upper from Midway USA. They do also have lower kits, stocks, and magazines.
https://www.midwayusa.com/ar-15-comp...ctedSort=False
I haven't used one yet, but am planning a 224 Valkkyrie build potentially with a complete upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. A friend has used several of their uppers, and has no complaints.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies
As you can see there are a lot op sources for build components. The three I listed being good, reliable products at reasonable prices. There are others for those who want to spend more money to get what they feel is a more "refined" product.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 3, 2019, 05:03 PM   #3
stagpanther

Kinda hard to tell what you're getting since no names are used to describe the component's manufacture from what I could tell (except for stock options). I'd say as long as they have some kind of guarantee to stand behind their product if it doesn't work it will likely be OK, but I would spend some time looking at other options as well.
Old December 3, 2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Nube

Thanks for the replies
Old December 5, 2019, 08:06 PM   #5
raimius

I like the CMMG lower parts kit. Personally, I like BCM and Magpul stocks/grips.

I usually buy a complete upper.
Old December 8, 2019, 11:40 AM   #6
kymasabe

An AR is a tool, and the first thing you need to ask is...what task does this tool need to perform?
18 inch barrel, great for hunting, less fine for home defense, even less if you intend to keep as short, light, fast truck gun. (SBR or pistol build).
I've found most stocks are uncomfortable and find myself building with magpul stocks, MFT minimalist stocks or SBA3's.
Some people like stock A2 grips, I hate them, use primarily magpul grips or the occasional spikes tactical pro grip. And...I have a drawer full of stock end plates, I dont know why build kits don't come with QD end plates. First build...probably not a bad kit, but you'll succumb to the same fate the rest of us did, the need to modify and change you build because it doesn't feel right or fit right, and you'll end up with your own drawer or box full of take-off parts.
Having built dozens of AR's, I know what parts I want now, order them individually, and build my guns the way I want the first time.
You'll be there too shortly.
Build it, enjoy it, customize it, repeat.
Old December 8, 2019, 12:44 PM   #7
mrcharlie3531

I have purchased a few rifle kits from palmetto state armory. Currently 299.00 plus shipping for the rifle kit. Overall pretty darn good for the money. Good luck on your build. BTW the kit you are considering is .223, you can not shoot 5.56 through it. PSA kits are 5.56. You can shoot .223 through it no problem.

Charlie
Old December 8, 2019, 03:21 PM   #8
kymasabe

His original post and link were for a .223 Wylde upper, perfectly fine for 5.56.