The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 21, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
hodaka

Browning B-2000 help

I recently picked up my Dad's turkey gun. He did not belive in gun maintainance, and it has not been fired in 15 years, so I completely disassembled the shotgun, cleaned everything then reassembled. The gas system was pretty much frozen with carbon. In any case, it is put back together and working..........sort of.

My problem is that it fires the first round fine, ejects and loads the next one then click, a dry fire. The primer shows no sign of a strike. If I manually cycle the bolt I get another dry fire. The only time it will fire is when I manually insert a shell, drop the bolt from the retracted position and fire. Like I said, it cycles and automatically loads the next round, the pin just will not hit the primer on an auto loaded shell.

I took the gas system apart again and made sure it was put together correctly and since it cycles fine I don't think that is the problem.

No difference between low brass or higher power shells.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
PetahW

It sounds like something's up with the disconnector, maybe hanging up - go online to something like Steve's Pages if you don't have an owner's manual, to determine the part(s) involved.

Old October 21, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Scorch

Disassemble the bolt and clean it. Clean the locking area. Clean the piston and make sure the gas system is operating smoothly.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
hodaka

I fixed it today. I appreciate the suggestions. I think Scorch had the problem identified. The bolt has a protrusion that blocks the firing pin if the bolt does not go all the way forward. I cleaned it very thoroughly with brake cleaner then lubed with Triflow. After a couple of initial dry fires, the rest of the box fired like they were supposed to. I see why this shotgun design did not last. It seems overly complicated.

Best Regards.