The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 20, 1998, 12:35 AM   #1
Phill

Hi,
I'm thinking of trying practical pistol and 3 gun competition. I have a Glock 35 on order and I am now wondering about what to get for a rifle and shotgun. I shot an SLR (FAL L1A1) when I was in the British reserves, but now I'm thinking about the Bushmaster Bullpup or an AR-15 clone. For the shotgun I am wondering about pump (maybe the MOSSBERG 590) or semi-auto, maybe a Remingtom? I don't have any experiance with shotguns. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Are there any organizations in the San Francisco Bay area that do 3 gun or IDPA or IPSC?

contest entry
Old October 20, 1998, 09:08 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Most people use an AR15 or clone. I sometimes would use an M1 Carbine. I've been thinking of using one of my FALs in our local informal military action shoot but they're heavy. Still I want to try it just to say I did it. I wouldn't get a bullpup in case there are weak hand stages. As for shotguns, pumps are less expensive and usually just a little slower. Also if you have any prone shots cycling the action can be harder. I have several 500's and an Ithaca 37 but in competition I usually use my Benelli M121.
Old October 21, 1998, 12:38 AM   #3
Greg2

Hi,
I know of one USPSA/IPSC club in Richmond,CA.
For more info go to http://www.uspsa. Club finder will give you all info that you will need.
Greg
Old October 21, 1998, 12:40 AM   #4
4V50
Retired Screen Name

For IPSC shooting, go to the Richmond Rod & Gun Club (about 20 minutes north of SF). Don't know if they do the three gun match since I've shot there only once. Chabot Rod & Gun may have it; they certainly host DCM matches at 200 yards once a month. For Running Deer, go to Livermore (everyone goes to Livermore for that).

For shotguns, it depends on the mission. If you want an inexpensive but high quality shotgun, go with the Remington pump action 870 Express. The internal parts are the same as the expensive Wingmaster but the exterior is bead blasted/rough finished prior to bluing. Incidentally, the 870 has been the standard police shotgun for over three (maybe four) decades now. Remington is a hold out with its steel receiver which is milled from a solid billet.

Another police favourite is the Ithaca 37. What I like about it is its' fan fire ability. That is, you can hold down the trigger and the gun will shoot as fast as you can pump the action. This can also be done with the old Winchester M97. The Ithaca was carried by LAPD for years (and maybe NYPD).

The aluminum receiver Mossberg 590 is a good gun, but heavy (especially when loaded with the speedfeed stock, extended magazine tube sidesaddle, handguard and bayonet lug). I use to have it around the house for home defense, but when I figured it was cheaper to replace my Remington 870, I put the Remington in its place and locked up the Mossberg. One advantage of the Mossberg is the position of the safety (on top of the receiver). Almost universal in dislike is that the safety switch is made of plastic (as are the trigger guard and some components of the less expensive M500).

When you get to Richmond, you're going to meet shooters who, collectively, will have access to all three. Try them out before you buy. That's the best way to determine which gun suits you the best.

I can't say much about Winchesters since I gave up on them when they dropped the M12 in favor of the M1200. The M12 was simply too good (parts wouldn't break and it never wore out) and the less expensive to manufacture M1200 was introduced. The newer M1300 has an aluminum receiver.