The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Sid

Carbon build up in a pistol

I have a 9mm EAA Witness Match pistol. I had taken it to my gunsmith for some work on the trigger. When I saw him today he advised me to change the powder I was using for my handloads because of really extensive build up of carbon, even in the magazine well. He said the pistol was badly fouled inside and it took him some time to clean it all out. I have been using Accurate #5 and had put about 700-800 rounds through this pistol and had cleaned it after every visit to the range. I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem with this powder. I am now going to switch to AutoComp.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:31 PM   #2
briandg

I had a lot of fouling with accurate #2, and accurate# 4, as well as other ball powders at times. part of it is the graphite, part of it is just plain soot, and sometimes it means that you are using an inefficient load in your pistol. # 5 is meant for pretty intense loads for a 9mm, iirc. It is what I use as +P in my .38. I've used hs6, a similar load in 9mm. They only soot up when load levels are pretty moderate.

So, if you're using low charges of #5 in your 9mm, that is your answer. Get a faster powder, and try to find a cleaner one like 231.

It is also pretty bulky, you may try a hotter primer.