The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Jump boot

Loading for the 300 Win.Mag. ?

I've been tossing the idea around about buying a 300 win mag before I shoot out my trusty old 30-06. Aprox,how many loadings can one get out of a case?I would think that the belt may pose some problems.What are the best dies to use for this critter.?
Old February 9, 2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Ackley Improved User

300 WM reloads well, and like any other cartridge the number of reloads per cases depends upon how hot you reload, if you full size each time, etc. Redding or Forester make the best dies in my opinion. I'd suggest getting the best dies available - that is, the "competition" dies.
Old February 10, 2005, 08:22 PM   #3
Jump boot

Thanks for the info Ackley Improved User.I orderd the Remington CDL today in the 300 win mag.Now for that lengthy barrel break-in procedure.Yuk!Take care and safe shooting.
Old February 11, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Ackley Improved User

Barrel break-in over hyped.

I've never been a big believer in the "barrel break-in" - that is, it's way over hyped. My benchrest rifle gunsmith agrees. Nonetheless, the easiest way is to get some of the newer Gunslick "BORE FOAM." This stuff is magic for getting out metal fouling - better than Sweats. I'd suggest shooting 3 rounds - then BORE FOAM 15 minutes, followed by swabb, brush, and swabb - shoot 3 more rounds - then BORE FOAM 15 minutes, followed by swabb, brush and swabb - shoot 3 more rounds - then BORE FOAM 15 minutes, followed by swabb, brush, and swabb - YOU'RE FINISHED. Go hunting.
Old February 11, 2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Jump boot

Ackley improved user,
Thankyou,thankyou,thankyou! You better believe that I'll be calling around this weekend for that Gunslick Bore Foam.I was dreading the thought of breaking in another rifle by the way I used to do it,which took forever.I'm going to look into those comp dies too.I like to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of my rifles that I can.I think it is the old Viet Nam sniper in me.With these aging eyes,I need all the help that I can get.
Old February 11, 2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Paul B.

Barrel break in? What barrel break in? I think it's still around. Do a search on Gale McMillan and his thoughts on barrel break in, firelapping and the like. I forget which room it's in, but there was a very long discussion about this, right here on TFL.
Paul B.
Old February 12, 2005, 11:37 PM   #7
spd522

I have some 300 WM cases I have reloaded 5-6 times at least and they are holding up fine. I have yet to have a case crack, split, or become unusable due to excessive reloading.

All are always shot from the same rifle. So just neck size and trim to length. Never had a problem yet and some of the loads are on the warm side.
Old February 13, 2005, 05:48 AM   #8
Jump boot

I read that McMillon report on barrel break-in.I tend to agree.I did it to a few rifles and never really seen improvement ,if any ,in the accuracy department.If there was any,at all,it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans in any of my hunting rifles and I sure didn't notice any in the already tight shootin 22-250 that I have in a laminated stock Rem.700 Varmit rifle with a timney trigger.I did run out and picked up some of that bore foam to try.I never cared for the mess that Sweets made so I always used the Shooter's choice copper remover.I liked that the best and it seemed to work better then the Hoppy's copper remover,in my opinion.I'm getting ready now to do a little searching on the net about compitition die sets for the 300 now.Looks like I have a reason to get off my butt and make a new top for the shooting bench.I went back to the field yesterday with the 06 and discovered that mother nature paid me a visit and did a number on my bench.