The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 31, 2015, 11:13 PM   #1
implicit455

22 cal Winchester 69A Mounting a Scope

I have had this rifle for about 60 years and it came with a Weaver B4x 5/8" dia. scope mounted on from the factory. The scope is old and fogy and I would like to replace it with a new 4x. The scope has a side mount plate with 4 screws tap into the barrel and the scope is connected with 2 scope rings, each with 2 screws.

I call Winchester/Browning and they have no info on how to mount a modern scope on my rifle. Hard to believe but I can not except that answer.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can fix this problem. I want to give the rifle to my Grandson but I can not because of the condition the scope is in.

Thanks, Need Help
Old September 1, 2015, 01:56 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

A small scope, such as a Tasco, should fit the rings already on it.

The reason why Winchester doesn't know much about it, is that Browning bought the gun brand, not the ammo, after US Repeating Arms went belly up.

The mount was most likely made by Weaver also, as Winchester purchased the mounts, rings, and small scopes from companies like them. Weaver may be able to help you more on this.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/
Old September 1, 2015, 06:20 AM   #3
implicit455

22 Winchester mount for a scope

Thank you ,I will look into your recommendation . So you think that Tasco makes a scope that is about 5/8" dia.

Thanks
Old September 1, 2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Tasco and Barska do. Take a look around Wal-Mart, as they generally have some small scopes for .22 rifles. Optics Planet is another source, who would most likely have one.

Tasco 4x15, 3/4" diameter (19 mm), which I think yours should be:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/tasco-4x15-rimfire.html
Old September 2, 2015, 04:03 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most new .22 scopes come with mounts for grooved receivers. The mount will have to be removed to use the scope with the old mount and rings, so don't get one with the tip off mount built in.

Jim
Old September 2, 2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Clark

Here are two Win 61 rifles.
One made in 1955 has dovetail grooves for tip off rings.
One made in 1948 was side drilled and tapped for (4) 8-40 screws. The holes are so accurate, I think they may be factory.
I built an adapter out of Aluminum alloy to attach a Weaver 49350 [1" detachable side mount rings].
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 3, 2015, 09:27 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt very much that that old pump gun was drilled at the factory for the side mount. Just a good gunsmith job.

Another way to go is to drill and tap the top of the receiver for a rail made to take the tip-off rings. It raises the scope a bit, but is usually easier to do than a side mount.

Jim
Old September 3, 2015, 11:57 PM   #8
Clark

When I take off the 3/4" scope, I usually see terrible work under the side mount. I try to get to a Weaver base set up without drilling any more hole or welding over the old ones.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 4, 2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Clark

I took the stock off my Win 69A rifle.
The receiver is 0.950 ~ 0.955" diameter.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx
Weaver says to use #12 in the rear and #17 in the front or a type 2 side mount

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...Specifications

Brownells shows a 0.925" diameter for a #12
Brownells shows a 0.946" diameter for a #15
Brownells shows a 0.770" diameter for a #12

[They obviously want a base on the barrel, same concept they recommend for Remington 510 bases, that I always ignore]

If I were to drill and tap mine [I do not have time today, but I somehow have time to type this] I would ignore all instructions and put a pair of #15 Weaver bases on the receiver.
Old September 6, 2015, 02:18 PM   #10
implicit455

22 cal Winchester 69A mounting new scope

Thanks to everyone who commented on my Thread concerning mounting a new type scope on my 60 plus year old 22 cal rifle.

I took the advice and made a call to Winchester and Weaver and they were both more then willing to help me with my concerns and suggest the following:

1. Buy a Weaver #2 Side Mount Plate # 48402 $14.71

2. Buy a Weaver High Bracket Ring kit for a 1" scope #4935 $26.49

Bought all the above from Amazon.

I assembled the above and everything work out great. Everything fit and I now have a rifle that I can see out of.

Once again thanks you all,

Implicit455
Old September 6, 2015, 11:09 PM   #11
Clark

It is Weaver #49350 I put on my Win 61, and you probably did on your Win 69A.

I have a #48402 in my junk box now.