The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old October 14, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Dust_Devil

Airsoft for home training

I was glad to see the article, 'Home on the Range' in the 25th Anniversary issue.

Most articles and reviews are based more for those military personel, law enforcement officers, tactical junkies and people who live out in the boonies who have all the time, money and space to go to training centers or have a place to set up a practice range outside.

This article makes it a reality that many people live in the city and not right off some huge tactical shooting range in their backyard.

Using an airsoft gun for practicing inside your home is a great alternative to when you can't practice the movements that you could at a range where you can use a real firearm.

I used to have one of those cheapy $40 MP5 spring-loaded Airsoft rifles. The thing was a piece of junk, but for awhile, I was doing the same thing the article had to say. I set up targets around my house with a backstop behind them and practiced moving around my home taking shots at the targets, behind corners, furniture and in different positions.

No, Airsoft does not give 100% the same practice and feel of a real firearm, but the point is to be able to practice the movements that we can't at our local ranges with strict rules such as drawing from a holster and shooting up close. It's better to have some type of training with a "toy" gun than none at all.

I'm thinking of getting back into training with Airsoft and get the better quality Airsoft handgun which weigh and operate more like a real firearm.

Just a quick mention though. Even though Airsoft is relatively safe for indoor use when using a towel or cardboard box as a backstop, airsoft pellets do travel at a good amount of speed and caution should be used if you're shooting around breakable materials. I wouldn't recommend setting up a target next to your windows, fine china or Plasma TV where they could be damaged if you missed your target.
I hit my walls a couple times with Airsoft pellets and they do leave a little dent in the surface.
Dust_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
DonR101395

I use airsoft for FOF training. It's not totally perfect, but it does give you instant feedback on what may or may not work. Look at atlanta airsoft for some good airsoft stuff.
DonR101395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Greg_Dunn

A word of caution

My thoughts are that airsoft guns allow you to train with a familiar looking/feeling platform which is good for muscle memory.

Use the safety rules and solid proven tactics and it is a low cost training tool.
Don't train with "gamers/airsofters" to keep from developing bad tactics that will get you or someone else dead in real life.

But if you must, you can test out new things and it is better to get stung by plastic to see that it doesn't work.

Handcrafted concealment leather for the working man
Greg_Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Dust_Devil

Quote:
My thoughts are that airsoft guns allow you to train with a familiar looking/feeling platform which is good for muscle memory.

Use the safety rules and solid proven tactics and it is a low cost training tool.
Don't train with "gamers/airsofters" to keep from developing bad tactics that will get you or someone else dead in real life.
I totally agree.
Dust_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Steamboatsig

Here is my metal bodied Tokyo Marui Airsoft M4. It shoots about 390fps, at 20rps. I can't get over the accuracy of this thing.

Steamboatsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Hedley

I wish I had the money Steamboat.

Nice.^
I just recently got a Crossman airsoft for indoor plinking and office boredom. I only spent a hundred on it, and it's no TM or CA, but it's quite fun and pretty accurate. It's great for littering my place with hundreds of little green bb's. I just can't bring myself to spending $300+ if I'm not going to get into the sport.

Don't mind the tacticool Red Ryder.
Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2006, 07:23 AM   #7
Odd Job

I have a KJW SIG P226R airsoft, in full metal. Its dimensions are an exact copy of the real thing and as far as I can tell the weight is almost the same. It is my hope that one day I will move to a country where I can get the real thing. In the meantime I am using it to plink indoors and also to practice drawing from an IWB holster.
Also, it is the closest thing I can find to a real pistol, for the purposes of demonstrating the basic mechanics and controls of a popular pistol, for people in our line of work, who are interested in all aspects of gunshot wounds. It is just a shame I can't get an all-metal revolver (airsoft) with removable 'shells.'
I wouldn't like to be shot with this airsoft pistol, because it goes through one side of an empty Coke can all the time and occasionally goes through both sides. Having said that, I don't think there is much value in using an airsoft pistol to practice any kind of accuracy or target shooting. It is probably best for drawing and firing at torso-sized close range targets without aiming.
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Lance Bertolino

21st Century Tactical

Bill Mathes at 21st does a great job of training the trainers. He works closely with IALEFI and has a secure forum for LE/Military airsoft training.
http://www.airsofttrainer.com/

I really like airsoft as an alternative to Sims and it was good to see a well-written article legitimizing airsoft training.
Lance Bertolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Westminster

One other thing about airsoft training. If you have an airsoft replica of your carry gun, you and a friend can set up a mock close encounter and discover what happens with when you have to 1) draw and 2) fire in a hostile wrestling-with-the-bad-guy situation.

You may be dismayed to find that you can't draw as easily as you thought. You may also be surprised to discover that safeties on your gun (levers, grip safeties, etc.) don't end up disengaged when shooting from retention. It's sobering, and it's something you should never try with your actual carry gun.
Westminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2006, 06:10 PM   #10
Greg_Dunn

One more thought.

I like airsoft for the realism, you definitely break a sweat when someone is pointing one at you in a tactical scenario.

Drawing and firing from retention is a pain to start with but, I carry a weapon that doesn't technically have a safety, my Sig is ready to rock right off the bat, just a DA pull til the first bang.

I found with my 1911 I would forget the thumb safety and ended up shot, stabbed, etc. in many scenarios even when I was able to clear leather before contact.

But since I use a 226 daily and practice religiously, I am able to place more "shots" on under stress.

Handcrafted concealment leather for the working man
Greg_Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2006, 11:15 PM   #11
elliott

Hey Lance, I didnt get your e mail with the pictures of the POF.

I have a Tokyo Marui Airsoft M4 also with a M204 grenade launcher. I worked for the SO as an instructor, air soft is a little better than SIM rounds IMHO. If does not hurt as much when house clearing.
elliott is offline   Reply With Quote