The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2022, 09:58 AM   #26
603Country

Note that I had fired off 6 (or more) CCI400 primed rounds in single shot prior to the runaway. Must be a borderline issue. And I’m out of CCI 400’s anyway.

I’ll take the BCG apart again this morning and dry off the firing pin, which at present has some Slip2000 lube on it. Other than that, I’m not doing anything else to the rifle except taking it pig hunting.
Old January 23, 2022, 10:21 AM   #27
BobCat45

This may not be of use to you, and it may be a bad idea, but when I clean my ARs I clean the firing pin and all components of the bolt carrier group, then apply a little Lubriplate 130 grease to the firing pin shank before putting it into the bolt. This is the same Lubriplate 130 I use on the Garand.

My thinking is that the grease might slow down the firing pin enough to forestall a slamfire, but certainly not enough to interfere when hit by the hammer.

I need to add that I clean the firing pin / bolt / carrier every time I'm done shooting for the day, even if I only run one clp-wet patch through the bore. If I failed to clean the firing pin for a few range trips it would probably get gunked-up.

In my midrange prone 'spacegun' I use BR4 primers. It is single load / single fire so the bolt gets dropped from locked back for each round (with the muzzle pointed downrange) with no problems.

The only slamfire I've ever had was with a Garand and HXP surplus ammo - because I was clumsy and didn't ease the bolt far enough forward before letting it go.

http://www.bayourifles.org
TinyURL.com/qgdojvh