The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 19, 2021, 11:32 AM   #26
Two Shanks

Quote:
Is Manuhrin in the same league as Korth?
Definitely in the same league. I have both and prefer the Korth but both are of the best quality.I shoot the heck out of my Manurhin MR38 over 1200 rounds so far.
Old July 20, 2021, 09:34 AM   #27
Kurbsky

Manuhrin looks nice on photos but I still don't understand why the French need to give their police $3,000 plus revolvers.
Old July 21, 2021, 03:38 PM   #28
wild cat mccane

It's all marketing. They don't use it.

We know this because there wasn't a single one in the 2015 Paris attack that had 3 different French swat departments.
Old July 25, 2021, 11:41 AM   #29
PzGren

I have a couple or more S&W, Colt, Korths, Manurhin and Sauer & Sohn DA revolvers and love the old Ratzeburg Korths.

A friend, who owns a Lollar Korth and won a few state championships with it in Germany shot one of my Ratzeburg Korth rimfire revolvers before exporting it. When I asked him how he liked it, he just said that he found it not better than his S&W 617. When I received the gun, I knew why. It took me a whole morning to clean and adjust that almost 50 year old gun. It had a terrible DA pull when I got it but now it is once more a great Ratzeburg Korth!
Old July 25, 2021, 11:48 AM   #30
PzGren

Quote:
That pretty much defines what a Korth is: a weekend toy for rich guys.
There isn't a day that a new comedian is born on some internet platform, a clueless clown who has not met a single Korth owner but can tell you a lot about them just because he failed to get an education to afford good guns.
Old July 25, 2021, 12:08 PM   #31
wild cat mccane

Meh.

We know they don't function or shoot more accurately than guns 3K less. I don't find his statement wrong.

I posted a video of a Koth owner looking at an MR73 saying with a blind fold you couldn't tell a different between the Koth, MR73, or smooth S&W while shooting.
Old July 27, 2021, 03:10 PM   #32
Victor252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbsky View Post
Manuhrin looks nice on photos but I still don't understand why the French need to give their police $3,000 plus revolvers.
The civilian price in France is about $2600 according to the comments in this video, which talks about the history and specs of the gun. The military price may be less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcQmReWckNk

I don't know if you can get autoloaders in France but people drop $2-3k on a tuned 1911 or Sig 210 in the US so I'm not sure that the revolver is over priced.
Old July 27, 2021, 08:18 PM   #33
JustJake

Quote:
I don't know if you can get autoloaders in France but people drop $2-3k on a tuned 1911 or Sig 210 in the US so I'm not sure that the revolver is over priced.
$2600.00 for a 6-shot boat anchor?

Upscale or not, ... I'm just not seein' the attraction.
Old July 31, 2021, 10:14 PM   #34
Kurbsky

With Manuhrin it seems to me that they created a nice marketing story abot the French special forces and a lot of manual work trying to justify a price yhat is higher yhan Colt Python. Some people buy that story - I don't. I don't even want to comment on their gendarmerie forces. Manual work to fine tune the gun is their manufacturing problem. In the 21st century they better be smarter than that or do what they do better - croissants or foie gras, for example. I am not trying to say here that this is a bad revolver. I can afford it but just seems to be overpriced to me.
Old August 6, 2021, 05:40 PM   #35
Phoenix77

Do you own one? Did you ever handle one or even shot one?
You’re being quite disrespectful with your croissants and foie grass comments. Don’t act like the arrogant American.
Old August 6, 2021, 07:32 PM   #36
JustJake

Quote:
Do you own one? Did you ever handle one or even shot one?
You’re being quite disrespectful with your croissants and foie grass comments. Don’t act like the arrogant American.

Ah dude, don't post like an ignorant frog. Remember, American soldiers having been saving French ass since 1917.

That said, the Korth revolver prices itself in U.S. dollars as a rich guy's weekend range toy.

No thanks.

Have other less spendy toys to shoot.
Old August 6, 2021, 10:18 PM   #37
lamarw

Here is a picture of my Manurhin MR73. I am pleased with it and have nothing negative to say about it.

The only negative is the few times I have posted it on different forums there is always someone knocking it. It will likely happen here.

I simply don't let it bother me.

I have a sizeable accumulation of S&W revolvers to include a number of triple locks and numerous newer revolver in Model 29's and Model 27's to include a Pre-Mod. I do believe the MR73 is a better built revolver and that is not a knock against S&W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1046.jpg (63.7 KB, 55 views)
Old August 7, 2021, 02:18 AM   #38
Phoenix77

Ah yes, American soldiers, you were there also offcourse. Bringing up the war
But I get it, no single experience with Korth or Manurhin, no money for it, so let’s just bash it.
Old August 7, 2021, 08:25 PM   #39
Kurbsky

I think there is a market for items like Manuhrin - just like there is a market for Tiffany diamond rings. But this market appears to be much smaller than S&W or Colt. It may be because the real value this product offers is not worth the price for the vast majority of people. If someone falls in love with a Manuhrin, I don't think $5,300 or so would be a problem for most people.
Old August 7, 2021, 10:34 PM   #40
lamarw

Beretta is pricing the Manurhin MR73 at $3250.00. I think the Korth price tag is higher. My revolver accumulation is primarily S&W, and I still have a bucket list for more S&W's.

The price of my Manurhin was not much different than the price of some nicer collectible revolvers. A lot has to do with recent price increases for firearms. This is true for necessities and luxuries in today's market.
Old August 8, 2021, 09:53 AM   #41
Kurbsky

lamarw... I love my Colt Python 4" but I think S&W is the best value. Currently I only have 686 and 586. What would you recommend as my next new 357 mag revolver to have?
Old August 8, 2021, 11:42 AM   #42
lamarw

It is hard to beat a Model 27. I prefer the older models, and a 27-2 would be perfect in the barrel length you prefer. My favorite, in my accumulation, is a Pre-Model 27 with a 3 & 1/2" barrel. Then also in an N-Frame is the more plain Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Both models are the same revolver with the exception of some of the frills to make the Highway Patrolman more affordable especially for law enforcement use.

In a K-Frame, I would go with either a Model 19 or a Model 66. Better yet, get both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4595.JPG (962.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 27Presentation.jpg (220.3 KB, 37 views)
Old August 8, 2021, 02:27 PM   #43
Phoenix77

Recently bought an 8 shot 627 Performance Center. Absolutely love it.
Old August 8, 2021, 08:57 PM   #44
Kurbsky

727 looks very cool...
Old August 11, 2021, 06:57 PM   #45
JB in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
Here is a picture of my Manurhin MR73. I am pleased with it and have nothing negative to say about it.

The only negative is the few times I have posted it on different forums there is always someone knocking it. It will likely happen here.

I simply don't let it bother me.

I have a sizeable accumulation of S&W revolvers to include a number of triple locks and numerous newer revolver in Model 29's and Model 27's to include a Pre-Mod. I do believe the MR73 is a better built revolver and that is not a knock against S&W.
Having handled both the Korth and Manurhin I'd buy a MR73 in a heartbeat over the Korth. The Korth was over $5,000 but didn't fit me well and I didn't care for the trigger. The MR73 was every bit as nice as I expected. If they would make .22 LR's again, I'd buy one today.
Old October 29, 2021, 01:45 PM   #46
HenryT

I don't like them.

Maybe it is just me, they are designer sidearms that went overboard and to me they are butt ugly. Compared to a Python or the MR73, which has that classic functional look, the Korth are just too CNC'ed, albeit all handmade, to my taste.
Old October 29, 2021, 04:08 PM   #47
Butzbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
$2600.00 for a 6-shot boat anchor?

Upscale or not, ... I'm just not seein' the attraction.
hmm, is there any reason one might prefer a revolver in a life and death situation, say as shield man on a breaching team? Nah, can't think of a single one . . .

Old October 30, 2021, 12:30 PM   #48
Doc Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butzbach
"hmm, is there any reason one might prefer a revolver in a life and death situation, say as shield man on a breaching team? Nah, can't think of a single one . . ."
I used to train tactical teams. I never spoke with a member of a French team, but read several interviews with them. Apparently their protocol at that time for entry teams was to empty their revolvers and then transition to other firearms - for precisely the reason Butzbach illustrates. They described both extreme reliability of the platform and faith in the .357 Mag cartridge as two reasons for that protocol.

Someone who has worked closely with them can chime in and and confirm or deny that paradigm, but that was what was published. (Selection probably also has to do with the fact that Manurhin revolvers are manufactured at the d. Armes de tir Chapuis facility located in Saint Bonnet Le Chateau, France...)

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; October 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old November 2, 2021, 08:35 AM   #49
JustJake

Quote:
hmm, is there any reason one might prefer a revolver in a life and death situation, say as shield man on a breaching team? Nah, can't think of a single one.

Pics of MIMbers malf-ing don't count. They're expected to.

That's why the real, hardcore 1911 honchos don't let their fellow honchos buy MIMbers.
Old March 21, 2022, 04:11 PM   #50
stuckinthe60s

back to the topic at hand............
some models were specifically designed for match.
the ratzeburg models seem to be the preferred and desired by shooters and collectors.
anyone have one?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner