The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 29, 2015, 12:31 AM   #1
Carriertxv

Super blackhawk

I've heard good and bad about about how crappy the grips are when shooting. How much difference is there compared to a S&W 629?
Old December 29, 2015, 12:46 AM   #2
lebyrn2

There is a multitude of grips for the super Blackhawk. However you are comparing a single action grip style to a double action, very different.
Old December 29, 2015, 12:51 AM   #3
THEWELSHM

I have a Blackhawk and a 29-2.... Night and day, style of shooting is completely different. I didn't like my stock 44 Ruger grips and got after market wood, similar but looked and felt better, then I put a Wolf trigger kit on it Like my Ruger, Love My Smith 29-2 stock ..

My 02

thewelshm
Old December 29, 2015, 07:44 AM   #4
rodfac

As stated by another poster, the difference is marked between SA and DA shooting. The hump at the top of the grips on Smith, Colt and Ruger DA's was designed to prevent the gun shifting position in your hand during recoil. In fact, the recoil movement in DA guns is much more of a straight back movement at first. Personally, I find them much more uncomfortable with truly heavy loads than the SA models which conform to the Colt Single Action Army style.

SA's in comparison, roll up in your grip, pointing skyward in heavy recoil making them a little softer in feel than the DA's. I do find that some rap my middle knuckle as they turn upward, and the Ruger's, especially, have a sharp edge at the rear of the frame that cuts into the web of my hand.

Elmer Keith, that noted curmudgeon of heavy loaded handguns, noted that repeat shots with a heavily loaded SA were not as difficult to master as some would have us believe since the skyward, rolling movement actually made thumbing the hammer back that much easier. He also believed that that same movement softened the felt recoil. I find that to be true as well.

Since I rarely use the DA feature of my Smith .44's and .41's with heavy loads, it's a mute point for me. IN SA, two-handed use, my weak gripping hand (left one in my case), does the cocking of the hammer in both types. But I do find recoil more comfortable with the Single Action Army grip style in Colt and Ruger guns.

As to the new, so-called, "Cheese Grater" black plastic grips on Ruger's SA's, I find them usable in moderate loads, and not particularly uncomfortable. For the heavy load end of the spectrum, a thicker grip profile feels better to me. That style, known as "Gunfighter" grips by some makers is a better choice. I've made my own for many of my single actions of both makes. They're not particularly hard to do, given a small amount of tool acumen, and you can spend a nice Saturday morning carving to your satisfaction.

Here's a pic of my version of the "gunfighter" style, done in rosewood for my 4-5/8" bbl'd Ruger Stainless, Flat Top, .44 Special.

HTH's Rod.

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; December 29, 2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old December 29, 2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Nathan

It has mostly been said. I would tell you that Pachmeyr grips will give you more grip, but cause the gun to "roll up". After trying both, I want my SA's to roll up.

The only issue smooth grips give me is grip strength has some impact on poi.
Old December 29, 2015, 01:33 PM   #6
GyMac

The factory grips for my Super Blackhawk were pretty, but I replaced them with Pachmayrs and I will never go back. They make shooting much more comfortable and accurate (for me). No comparison.
Old December 30, 2015, 01:58 PM   #7
highpower3006

Many years ago I bought a SBH because I had read too many articles that touted how they were the best thing since sliced bread. I fired it a few times and HATED the way it felt under recoil. I sold it soon after and bought a S&W Model 29 with a 4" barrel and thirty five years later, I still have that 4" Smith.

As an added note, I had the opportunity to shoot another SBH few years ago and I found that I still hate the way they feel. In fact, over the years I have sold off every single one of my single action revolvers except for my .44-40 Colt Frontier Six Shooter.
Old December 30, 2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Carriertxv

Welshm do you have picture and where you got those grips from?
Old December 31, 2015, 01:27 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Some people can shoot "plow handle" grips.
Some people can't.

Personally, I like mine. I shoot my single-actions better than the double-actions. But my grip style is naturally more inclined towards rolling with the recoil (single-actions with 'plow handle' grips), anyway.
There's no knuckle-busting, no thumb munching, and no slicing the web of the hand.

It works for me.

If you're worried, find a way to "try before you buy".
Old December 31, 2015, 10:54 PM   #10
Carriertxv

Too late already bought as it was a smoking deal. Going to try it but those little grips are too small for my hands. Just curious if someone makes wood grips that are a inch or so longer as those would probably work.
Old December 31, 2015, 11:02 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Hogue makes some oversized wooden grips. Probably not what you're wanting, but it's a start.
Old January 1, 2016, 12:44 AM   #12
Carriertxv

It has a hogue black rubber grip with it. Butt ugly but my hand fits it good. I would like to have plough handle wood grips so it will recoil like it should but just longer ones.
Old January 1, 2016, 08:26 AM   #13
Salmoneye

If you want really oversize wood grips for the Dragoon framed Super Blackhawks, 'Mustang' used to make a set that are ugly as all getout, but surprisingly comfortable to shoot...They come up occasionally on eBay...

Here's a set I have kicking around:

Old January 1, 2016, 12:04 PM   #14
Carriertxv

Holy those are right up there on the butt ugly scale. The Hogue ones I have are looking mighty fine in comparison.
What I am thinking and maybe there is no such thing but what I'm looking for are grips that are stock but a little longer so I can at least get 3 fingers on them. They don't have to be much wider just a little longer and no finger groves.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:58 AM   #15
Auto5

Altamont Grips have some very nice looking grips for the SBH at reasonable prices.
http://www.altamontco.com/experiment...rblackhawk.php
Old January 3, 2016, 10:20 AM   #16
rodfac

Full size grips that allow a really fully supported pinkie finger, are pretty long. When you look at Ruger and Colt factory grips, note the angle machined in the bottom of the grip scales. That's there to allow you to shoot "pinkie" under for ease of cocking and add'l comfort. A straight sided grip, all the way down to the bottom, cuts into your pinkie unless the grip length is extended.

For me, pinkie under is the way to do it. With all fingers on the grip, I have trouble with elevation control, i.e. my groups string vertically. I also note that repeat shots make it tough to cock the hammer, and my grip on the gun changes...the latter being a big factor in group size and consistency. With full length grips, the gun rides up in my hand between shots while cocking the hammer...not so with the "pinkie under".

For a look at some really beautiful, full length stocks that allow you to get your three fingers on the grips, check out CaryC's offerings at CLC grips.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 3, 2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Carriertxv

Well I shot a box of American Eagle 240 jhp through it last night. With the Hogue grips my grouping was not bad but it slammed into my hand pretty hard.
With the factory wood grips my grouping was very bad but didn't slam into my hand but it sure jumps up almost out of control.
Not sure what I'm goingto do. Will try shooting some more with the wood grips but will start reloading when I pick up some dies and load it down until I get this under control.
Shooting a 629 was much more comfortable than this is with the same ammo.
Old January 4, 2016, 08:05 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Not "pretty" but these are the grips that work best for me.

Personally, the Model 29 with the stock wood grips is one of the most unpleasant guns to shoot full house .44 Mag from. WAY worse for me than the Super Blackhawk.

Also, the pinkie under grip has been mentioned, and this also works for me, UNTIL you get to the .44Mag level of recoil, then its no longer comfortable.

Its different for everyone.
Old January 4, 2016, 08:59 PM   #19
KEYBEAR

44 AMP

I have always loved the Super Blackhawk . Bought my first one in about 1961 a three screw . Paid $112,00 no tax and shot the hell out of it . I have bought maybe 10/12 over the years and never got a bad one .

Last year I bought a new BFR in 44 Mag and it is Twice the gun . The BFR shoots softer with full house loads then SB shoots lite lead . It is a heavy gun but I have shot 100 rounds or more and still having fun .
Old January 4, 2016, 09:09 PM   #20
Slamfire

I have short, stubbie fingers so the Superblack grips are a little wide for me, especially at the bottom. Rubber grips made the situation even worse.

The grips on this 1973 45 LC Blackhawk are smaller, and a bit better for me.

However the grips on this Lipsey 44 Spl Flattop Ruger are the best of all. They are narrower in width, seem to be narrower front to back, but I have not measured them. Anyway much better grip.

Old January 4, 2016, 10:17 PM   #21
Carriertxv

44amp what grips are those? Do they make them for the one I have with a round trigger guard? They don't look that bad at all. Would look really good in wood.
Old January 4, 2016, 10:56 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Carriertxv, the grips are Pachmayer (however you spell it, )

The top gun is a Blackhawk .45 Colt, the bottom, a SuperBlackhawk .44Mag.

The Dragoon (square back) trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk is slightly longer than the grip frame of the Blackhawk. Grips are NOT interchangeable.

I do not know if the round triggerguard grip frame on new Super Blackhawks is the same size as the Dragoon or the one on the Blackhawk. Sorry.

Top, another .45 Blackhawk, this one with the ACP cylinder in place. Bottom, .357 Magnum.

And no, I don't recall who's wood grips those are, either, sorry.
Old January 5, 2016, 07:10 AM   #23
Salmoneye

Quote:
I do not know if the round triggerguard grip frame on new Super Blackhawks is the same size as the Dragoon or the one on the Blackhawk. Sorry.
Everything you need to know about Ruger single action grips, and frames:

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm