The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 27, 2019, 02:17 PM   #1
dlee2007

Can You Help Identify Pistol?

I inherited this pistol. I do know that it's an Armi San Marco pistol, but don't know much else about it. It came with (2) matching cylinders.
What Model, Year, Caliber?
Worth?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASM4.jpg (95.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg ASM1.jpg (68.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg ASM9.jpg (55.1 KB, 81 views)
Old June 27, 2019, 02:26 PM   #2
kenny53

The NRA has a monthly article in the American Rifleman call "I have this old gun." This is were members send in pictures and what ever information they have and the staff tries to fill in the information gaps. I would think this would be your best bet. Good luck.
Old June 27, 2019, 03:03 PM   #3
AKexpat

It is an Armi San Marco replica of a Colt 1860 Army Revolver, .44 caliber, "civilian" model (3-screw frame not cut for a shoulder stock), with a manufacturer date code AP (1986), found on the bottom of the frame with the serial number, triangular ASM logo, and both Italian proof house marks. It appears to be in very nice shape for a 33-year-old gun. Is the spare cylinder the same as the one on the pistol?

If you wish to check the spare cylinder fit on the gun, DO NOT use any screwdrivers. Lay the revolver horizontally, right side facing up, on two small blocks of wood with enough room between the two blocks to allow the wedge room to be moved out of the barrel lug. Use a third small block of wood against the wedge and use a plastic mallet on the wood to drive the wedge out. Put the hammer in the half-cock position, unlatch the load-lever, and pull down on it so that the rammer/plunger presses against the cylinder until the barrel moves off of the 2 locating pins on the front of the frame. Slide the cylinder off of the arbor. Using the spare cylinder, reassemble in reverse order.

If you decide to clean it, DO NOT use anything acidic (like vinegar) as it will remove the bluing and frame case colors in a New York minute. Only use alkaline cleaners.

I also have an ASM 1860 Army except it is a 4-screw frame cut for shoulder stock (date code BC/1993) but I obtained an Uberti full-fluted cylinder for it in addition to the original round rollmarked cylinder:

Thanks for posting it, sir!

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; June 27, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old June 27, 2019, 03:16 PM   #4
dlee2007

Thank you for the information. The other cylinder appears to be the same caliber. I wasn't sure about which year pistol this ASM was a replica of. I noted the engraving on the cylinder of what I believe is the Battle of Campeche. Assistance is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASM12.jpg (76.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by dlee2007; June 27, 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old June 27, 2019, 04:48 PM   #5
AKexpat

With the case and extra cylinder, could probably realize $250-$300.

I paid $300 for mine as pictured.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; June 27, 2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old June 27, 2019, 06:38 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

ASM (Armi San Marco) made replica revolvers for a number of years. At one time they mad the revolvers (cap and ball) sold by and marked CVA (Conneticut Valley Arms). Quality could be hit or miss - but I have owned several that were very nice as far as fit and finish. The biggest issue with the ASM were the internal parts which were on the "soft" side. The functions just fine and shot well but over time, the internals would wear more easily than some of the other makes. The extra cylinder would add a bit of value but if it is a match to your revolver, it will work on ASM and probably not on other brands. Some of the manufacturers sold extra cylinders with their revolvers - always tickled me as on a Remington, the cylinders are easily and quickly changed - not so much on a Colt clone unless you have the revolver correctly tuned up to where the barrel wedge could be removed with thumb pressure - which is how the original Colts were supposed to work. Value is going to vary depending on where you are located . . . most folks would pay a bit more for a Uberti or Pietta for which parts are readily available.

From appearances, your's is a '60 Army in .44 caliber. Hard to tell as far as a size comparison as the '61 Navy was identical except in .36 Naviy Caliber. If it has sentimental value, you've got a nice heirloom to put up on the wall to enjoy . . . if you want to shoot it, it should be a good shooter.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 27, 2019, 06:53 PM   #7
AKexpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
Hard to tell as far as a size comparison as the '61 Navy was identical except in .36 Navy Caliber.
The OP's revolver has a rebated .44 cylinder. The 1861 Navy .36 did not, therefore not identical.

Jim
Old June 27, 2019, 08:33 PM   #8
dlee2007

Thanks for the comments. Greatly appreciate the help.
Old June 27, 2019, 09:15 PM   #9
Hellgate

I have two of the 1860s and 3 of the ASM 44 cal "Navies". They are fine guns. I have had to replace the hand springs (bobby pis work great) in a couple of them but they are better guns than their contemporary Piettas. ASMs are no longer made and the Piettas are better made than when the ASMs were made.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)