The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 13, 2019, 09:26 PM   #26
jmr40

When shooting round targets I find it easier to let the crosshairs just touch either the top or bottom of the arc. With big enough round targets, and a rifle accurate enough, I can also use the left and right sides getting 4 groups shooting at the same target. If shooting for group size it also helps to have the point of impact a small distance from your aiming point. If you start shooting holes in the target where you're aiming it is hard to be consistent. It is almost impossible to hold consistently in the center of a round bulls eye.

A square target works better and I use each of the corners as aiming points.

Winston Churchill
Old June 13, 2019, 09:45 PM   #27
cw308

That's why I also use a 1" outlined box , warmer temps I use the horizontal crosshairs at the bottom of the box and colder at the top line , all rounds stay inside the box without moving the scope adjustments .
Old June 13, 2019, 09:59 PM   #28
cw308

rms65
Great deal on the scopes , will make a big difference . At 200 yards I keep it set on 24 , I use a rabbit ear rear bag with a Harris ridgid bi pod . I only shoot benchrest so I have my trigger set at 10 ounces , doesn't feel so light once you get use to it but does help in tightening up group size also . Howa 1500 in 223 is also a good shooter , it one of my shooting friends has one he installed a Witt Machine muzzle break on it , very little recoil . Good luck with everything .

Chris
Old June 14, 2019, 06:04 AM   #29
rms65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
rms65
Great deal on the scopes , will make a big difference . At 200 yards I keep it set on 24 , I use a rabbit ear rear bag with a Harris ridgid bi pod . I only shoot benchrest so I have my trigger set at 10 ounces , doesn't feel so light once you get use to it but does help in tightening up group size also . Howa 1500 in 223 is also a good shooter , it one of my shooting friends has one he installed a Witt Machine muzzle break on it , very little recoil . Good luck with everything .

Chris
Thanks much. Yah I really like the Howas. For me they're the best bang for the buck. I got a 223 Mini-action lightweight that I absolutely love. I paid $329 for it new. It rivals most any factory rifle in accuracy. Shoots sub MOA, sometimes better than half MOA with 40 cent fiocchi factory ammo. At least for the first 10 rounds then it gets hot. I seldom shoot more than 5 at a time. I bought it as a carry rifle and some day "truck gun". The best part is, it prints the first stone cold bore shot in the middle of the group every time. A really big deal for a hunter. I bought my son a 308 Howa 1500 sporter for deer. Again I paid $329 new and it shoots sub MOA too. They're definitely not as refined or smooth as my Tikkas but they're half the price and shoot just as well. The 223 1500 bull barrel I'm picking up for my girlfriend today I paid $349 for. I'm quite confident that it will shoot well too. The one thing I do is follow Howas break in procedure. Some say it's not necessary. I've been doing it and they all have shot really well. So why mess with success.