The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 12, 2019, 08:15 PM   #51
GLK

I picked up a now discontinued Thompson Center Dimensions LOC rifle combo. It's chambered in 30-06 and 22-250 comes with a sweet adjustable trigger, one stock one receiver, two bolts two barrels, two magazine housings and two 3rd magazines. CDNN sports was closing out NIB old stock and my combo was $499.00 plus 15-20 delivery to my local FFL. I will be getting a new barrel for the LOC system receiver in the tomorrows mail chambered in 7MM Rem Mag. I am still searching for a barrel(only)in 300 Win Mag. It one does not mind composite stocks and some other non safety or performance affecting cost cutting, reliable sub MOA @ 100 yards bolt action rifles at a very affordable price are the rule instead of the exception in my experience.(7MM RemMag barrel arrived today 7-13.)

Last edited by GLK; July 13, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old July 15, 2019, 01:21 AM   #52
BigBL87

I've really been tossing around the idea of a Thompson Center Compass (in .223 in my case). It would be somewhat of a companion to my AR. Right now, my AR is a bit over scoped (4-16) because I want to be able to use it for coyote. I'd prefer something like a 1-4 or 1-6 on it, but given the open fields I wanted something with a little more magnification to reach out to the 'yotes if needed. Really thinking hard about getting a Compass and moving the 4-16 onto it. Think my wife might kill me, but might be worth the risk...
Old July 25, 2019, 08:11 PM   #53
Woodsbum

I have a compass in .223, it is easy to shoot sub moa with quality ammo with it .I'm still going to get another in 270 or 3006 ,that will be my fourth one.They are shooters.
Old July 26, 2019, 07:44 AM   #54
AgedWarrior

I own a couple of, what I refer to as “entry level rifles.” I have a Savage Axis II chambered in .223. The accu-trigger is really a decent adjustable trigger; the original tupper-ware stock was horrible. But the rifle shoots sub moa consistently with my loads for it and with some factory ammo, so I bought a Boyd’s stock and it is now reasonable to look at and slightly more accurate. If you are willing to pay a little more, you might consider a Savage 10, and go for a model with accu-stock (aluminum bedded polymer stock); they are great rifles.
The other entry level rifle I own is a Ruger American. Mine is a Ranch model chambered in .450 Bushmaster. I bought it for the sole purpose of deer hunting in Iowa where they are affected by the straight walled cartridge dementia. This too is a decent rifle that is capable of shooting MOA. The Ruger stock is flimsy like the Savage; trigger is reasonable. The three lug bolt allows a much shorter bolt handle lift and is thus really nice around scopes.
I have not owned, but shot a TC Compass, and it seemed a reliable entry level rifle too. I think it is true that, as has been already said, most major manufacturers entry level guns are going to perform reasonably well, find the one that suits you personally. I agree also, that shooting these lighter weight guns might be a bit less fun on the range with a 30-06 or .270; .308, .260 or 6.5 Creedmore are good candidates that will hunt well and be more fun on the range, but you could just use a shoulder pad on the range...
Old July 26, 2019, 01:57 PM   #55
Ben Dover

I guess I'm an old timer.

Winchester 70
Remington 700.
CZ

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old July 31, 2019, 08:37 PM   #56
FloridaGuy

Just picked up these 3 rifles from Howa. They are all chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have nothing but good things to say about these rifles. I also have 1 of there rifles chambered in .223 and another in .308.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D84CD77C-2A36-40FE-B63A-D8C07861EFE8.jpeg (114.9 KB, 28 views)

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old August 1, 2019, 05:37 AM   #57
458winshooter

Budget rifle

I dove into these waters about 3 years ago after laying my eyes on a Mossberg Patriot in 300 Wm. I really loved the wood and the fit and finish. I was surprised that it was an entry level rifle. Accuracy has not disappointed me in the least as it's more accurate than I am. Little mossy- horn will be getting a new scope this fall and I am finally healed up enough from surgery to go back into the woods. Can't wait! Russ