The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 27, 2017, 07:20 AM   #1
pmsmith2032

Rifle Cleaning Equipment

I am looking to purchase some cleaning supplies for a 30-30 (lever action) and 30-06 (bolt action) and don't want to break the bank. Right now I have a full bottle of KG-12 (never used), some Hoppe's #9, a Hoppe's bore snake, a cheap MTM plastic bore guide and some cheap cleaning rods and attachments. What should I order? Thanks!
Old September 27, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For way over fifty years I've used a stainless .22 rod and GI patches for my .30 rifles.

If just a few shots? I squirt some WD40 on a patch and run it through a couple of times. I follow that with a patch on which I've sprayed some RemOil. After a few thousand rounds through my '06, group sizes degraded. I used some Hoppe's copper solvent and cured the problem.

If I do an extensive bench session of more than a box of ammo, I'll be a bit more thorough in cleaning. No big deal, though.
Old September 27, 2017, 12:32 PM   #3
cw308

KG - 12 is for copper , KG - 1 is for carbon . Both are very good cleaners . I start out with KG - 1 , most of the time that's all you'll need with a follow up with Hoppe's #9 bore solvent. If your 30-30 has a rough barrel you may have to use the KG 12 after the KG - 1
A one piece rod is better but not a must, bore guide is good ,will protect the crown , Your really set with the supplies you have , shoot with a dry barrel , remove the oil , oil will cause fliers, will be hard to remove , gets like lacquer . A pin point oiler is good to have , for oil I like Ballistol.
Old September 27, 2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Don Fischer

A while back I wanted another cleaning rod just in case. I'm not paying $30 for some super cleaning rod when I can get a kit for about $15! It's a gunslick kit with a rod that will clean every thing I have, not so hot on shotguns but I do have another rod for them. In it is the rod, 3 piece, a small box of patch's, a bottle of Ultra Lube advanced gun oil! A bottle of Ultra-Klenz advanced gun cleaner. A patch holder for the end of the rod, wire brush, look's like a 22 cal and a swab for the rod. I have been using Hoppe's for ever but I'd give this new cleaner a try at some time. Maybe I'll give it to my son! He's always looking for something better. The oil the oil. Got me a can of spray Remington oil a while back because I ran out of the sewing machine stuff I'd picked up somewhere.

Point it you can make this shooting sport as expensive or inexpensive as you want!
Old September 28, 2017, 09:39 AM   #5
oldscot3

I bought Pro Shot rods because I didn't like the cheap segmented aluminum rods that come in the inexpensive kits. I'm pretty sure my rods will last my lifetime and likely my son's as well.

IMO, cleaning rods are the type of equipment, that if you buy quality to begin with, you shouldn't ever find yourself buying them a second time.
Old September 28, 2017, 12:18 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Don't order anything. Costs a whole lot more. Go to a discount fabric shop(Wal-Mart will do) and buy a couple yards of 45" remnant(end of a bolt. Literally, left overs.), flannelette(winter sheet/PJ material) and cut it into 2" x 4" patches. You'll get several 100 out of a couple yards for under $10. That size will do for both rifles. If there's no remnant, a couple yards of new won't be terribly expensive
Partial to pull throughs for lever actions, but a rod will do. The pull through works from the chamber end and eliminates any possibility of muzzle damage. That's something you have to work at doing anyway.
Hoppe's #9 will do everything you need. Follow the direction on the bottle. Do not run endless solvent soaked patches through the barrel though. Run one through and leave the solvent there to do what it does for 15 - 20 minutes.
"...the sewing machine stuff I'd picked up somewhere..." The discount fabric shop will have it too. So will Wally World or any hardware store. It's just 'light' oil.
"...spray Remington oil..." Costs more because it has 'Remington' on the can.
Old September 28, 2017, 01:15 PM   #7
hdwhit

Cleaning rod, Hoppe's #9, Bore brush, Patches, and Sears Household Oil are all I have used for 40+ years.

I bought 5,000 GI patches when I was a teenager. They were twice the size of 22 cal patches in both dimensions so when I switched to 223, I cut the leftovers into quarters. I still have probably 4,000 of them left. But if you don't stumble across a deal like that, I like the idea of just making your own from discount rack fabric.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:19 AM   #8
tobnpr

One-piece, ball-bearing cleaning rod such as a Dewey.

Segmented rods will flex more than a solid rod and scrape the lands.

Everyone has their own preference of the hundreds of good powder and copper solvents, whether they prefer patches or a brush, etc...a search here will turn up more than you'd care to read.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 30, 2017, 09:36 AM   #9
roc1

I use fiberglass rods as most other BR shooters I shoot with do. Use cotton patches get some BoreTech get copper fouling out lot better than Hoppes and doesn't stink like Hoppes. You will be surprised how much copper in rifle some ok lot bad for accuracy. Need nylon brushes not copper or bronze BoreTech will attack them too. Use to use old fashion ways like others talk bout ok if don't shoot much but when shoot lot you need keep bore clean what I found out shooting with top shooters in club
Roc1
Old September 30, 2017, 09:52 AM   #10
reinert

I have an old (well over 30 years old) Parker Hale stainless steel rod, a Dewey rod, lots of Hoppe's gun potion #9, and Rem Oil. I buy (when needed; generally a long time between purchases) white, 100% COTTON flannel material that I rip/cut as needed for any size patch I want for cleaning. I launder and dry that material once to get any sizing out of it, then use it as I need. I have enough properly sized brass/bronze brushes and brass jags to use for any of my firearms. I also like to use old toothbrushes for cleaning tight spots daubed with a little #9 if needed. After a bore is cleaned and dried, it gets a light coating of Rem Oil. This stuff and the usage of it for cleaning my guns has worked very well in the climate of Wyoming where I live. I also use a bore guide when I can clean from the breech. I have an old Outers plastic gun cleaning case I've had forever to hold all the stuff mentioned handy when I need to clean. All the extra stuff I have on hand is stashed in my reloading cabinet.

When I was a kid and was old enough to have my own firearms, my dad made sure my two older bros and me kept our guns clean. I was a lifelong habit taught, and caught, from my Old Man. Now, I'm one...and I like to think my boys will do the same to their guns...without having to be told.

Don't fudge on a rod, buy a good one and wipe it down between passes on a bore you're cleaning. If your 30-30's a Marlin, that a good thing; you can clean that one from the breech.
Old October 1, 2017, 09:36 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Otis cleaning system is what I do normal cleanings with:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...s-cleaning-kit
It is really easy to use, difficult to damage throw or crown with, and easy to pack with me to the range.
On small caliber guns be sure to use the small caliber patches and fold them a little small to start then increase until you know how to use the system. If you try to follow the directions and are off, making them a little too big, it can be difficult to pull them through.

I still have a cleaning rod though. A single piece rod is an absolute must for the tool box.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...d-carbon-fiber
Old October 10, 2017, 07:44 PM   #12
bandanabandit1

All you really need is a rod, jag, patches, solvent, and oil and you're basically set. However if you want to spend a few dollars more and get your rifle spotless, then I recommend this product known as "Wipe Out". It's a foam so all you do is spray it in and let it work. Easiest and best way to clean a bore.