The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2016, 02:27 PM   #51
FITASC

Quote:
It's 91 degrees here in St. Louis and the relative humidity is 66%. Feels like 106 and sweating does no good to cool you off.
That's a nice day!

Today's high was only 96, humidity at a mere 92%; heat index = D*mn HOT and I was out shooting sporting clays. I have learned to bring two shirts so I can change into a dry one for the drive home!........

(But a cold beer and a dip in the pool sure feel good when I get home)

I moved my reloading inside here; out West, it was so dry, using the garage was awesome
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 16, 2016, 11:31 AM   #52
michaeldarnold

Yeah, we've had some hot days here in St. Louis. A couple of Sundays ago the air temp in my back yard was 101 at 6:00 pm. With the humidity factored in the real feel was 129.

We stayed inside that evening.

Mike
Old August 16, 2016, 11:59 AM   #53
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Buy a small room. 5-6000 square foot Air conditioner for the bedrooms window. Summers installation is all that's required. Fire it up a hour or so before your reloading on hot humid days . Not only cools but too evaporates moisture from the air. I seldom reload in the summer at my house even with its having central air. But I do at my club range every time I go there to bench-rest this or that. Club buildings are hot inside but little humility do to there unfinished Notty Pine interior walls. As for me I wouldn't hand load anything in a (uncomfortable) high humidity environment. I'm spoiled nhyrum.
Old August 17, 2016, 06:47 PM   #54
Ocraknife

Quote:
What's humidity?

-Jimro
Old August 23, 2016, 11:52 PM   #55
xcc_rider

I reload in my garage so I turn the swamp cooler and ceiling fan up to high and go for it.
It's better to be cool and humid than to have drops of sweat land in the cases.
(Without the swamp cooler my garage can soften candle wax)
Old August 24, 2016, 07:17 AM   #56
Mike Irwin
Staff

My reloading area is in my basement, which is VERY humid (I live in Northern Virginia, which is an old Indian phrase for "Holy crap it's like breathing underwater!")

I run a 65 pint dehumidifier pretty much all the time during the summer to keep the humidity down.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 25, 2016, 10:24 PM   #57
TheGageinator

I reload in my garage which is not climate controlled, so I box and bag up all my tools, powder, and primers with desiccant when not in use. Kind of a pain. I learned the hard way not to just keep my press and powder measure In the desk drawer.... So much rust....
Old August 26, 2016, 07:40 PM   #58
sawdustdad

I'm in Virginia. Detached workshop is air conditioned and heated.
Old August 28, 2016, 04:55 PM   #59
Sport45

I reload in the garage and usually deal with humidity by sweating more...

But, as TheGageinator mentioned, stuff rusts much slower when put away. I don't have to seal everything up, just putting it in a drawer or cabinet will greatly slow rust formation. If I leave any bare steel out on the bench it will start rusting within a week.