The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 28, 2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

personally challeging, but learned alot yesterday 17 caliber in 5-20mph winds

had my custom Remington 700 in 17 Fireball out yesterday... I'd had it out previously to sight in at 50 yards with my new 4.5 -14X Burris C-4 Plus scope, with wind reticle... my goal yesterday, was to get a solid sight in, at 100 yards, so I could change to the custom elevation knob I received from Burris, after I sent in my elevation, & load data...

got a good sight in, at 100 yards, even though I had quartering winds gusting from 5-20 mph across my range I decided to try the 200 yard target, & experiment with the wind reticle... I had held one hash mark at 100 yards, when sighting in ( the horizontal crosshair has hash marks all the way across on this scope to use as hold points in wind ) which I think is great for shooting 20 grain bullets... when I got out to 200 yards, & I held 2, & then 3 hash lines, then I realized I was holding down wind, not up wind

so I re-sighted at 200 yards, holding at one hash mark up wind... then moved out to 300 yards, & held 3 hash marks ( up wind ) & I think, did all right, I fired 3 rounds, at 300 yards, with no elevation adjustment for distance, & got just slightly over a 1" group, 4" lower than my point of aim. shots 1 & 3 on top of each other, & shot 2 a little further down wind... then went back, & got a good zero again at 100 yards, so I could change the elevation knob out...

2nd try saved as a picture... ( resized to view better on the "puter" this was a standard piece of printer paper for size reference ) now that I have the new custom elevation turret knob on, I'm looking forward to seeing how close Burris got it...

The Burris C-4 Wind reticle

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Range.jpg (90.4 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 28, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old July 28, 2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

wow... no comments about the 1/3 MOA ??? at 300 yards in the wind
Old July 28, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3
taylorce1

Nice shooting!
Old July 28, 2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks man...

next time out, ( now that I have the custom elevation knob installed ) we'll see what I can get for at least 5-10 round groups, & hoping it's not so windy

actual measurement between shots... between 2 & 3 right at 1"... between 2 & 1 right at 7/8"
Old July 28, 2014, 03:46 PM   #5
taylorce1

I'm sure you'll do better in less wind, but I've rarely shot on a perfect day. Learning to shoot in the wind is challenging and can be a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the next set of targets.
Old July 28, 2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Unlicensed Dremel

Very interesting. Great group - were you facing West?
Old July 28, 2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

yes... I shoot east to west... I have 300 yards from my bench to my backstop ( laser measured )

these pictures are a couple years old, ( trees are much bigger, I think have been trimmed 3 times since this picture ), but my backstop barely visible at 300 yards on the horizon

Bench is about 8ft off the ground, so I have a full range of shooting at any distance through a valley( I keep target backers every 50 yards )... tin roof provides some shade, & sprinkle protection, but definitely requires hearing protection

The Mule makes long range target retrieval a little less tiring...

Old July 29, 2014, 06:24 PM   #8
kealil

I'm not gonna lie, I am completely jealous of your range. I never get to shoot anything farther than 200 yds because my local public range doesn't have anything farther....

I can't wait to buy me a chunk of land to shoot on...
Old July 30, 2014, 05:40 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks... many years I spend more time mowing, & trimming trees on the range, than I actually spend shooting on it... this year, I've made it my goal to go out for at least an hour or two Saturday or Sunday morning, before I get busy working around the farm ( I have a real job, so my weekends are often spent just trying to keep up with things around the farm )
Old August 4, 2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Unlicensed Dremel

Dang! Nice setup and nice shooting. Yes, we envy you.