The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 19, 2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Mystro

Grey Fox mount is back...(pics) Follow up

I wanted to post a follow up that many have asked for. I took this large grey fox with my trusty S&W M17-3 22lr. Neck shot at 30 yards with a 22lr Hyper Velocity Yellow Jacket put him right down.

I had my taxidermist work the fox into a black bear mount I already had... I think it came out beautifully. Living art as far as I am concerned.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old April 19, 2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Sevens

That's gorgeous. I don't know this ballgame at all, but I'm going to guess that you've got a lot of money in that display right there. It looks terrific.

Your taxidermist is absolutely an artist.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:26 PM   #3
AID_Admin

What a poor little fox...
Old April 19, 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
shouldazagged

Brilliant taxidermy. Best mount of a fox I've ever seen.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:51 PM   #5
cvc944

Very nice work. Thanx for sharing those beautiful pics.
Old April 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Mystro

Thanks guys. I took the blackbear on Pa. State Game land about 6 years ago with my 300 Win Mag at 275yards.

Good taxidermy is a beautiful art form and when done right is magical how lifelike the trophy becomes captured forever in its most natural and majestic state.
Unfortunately, not all trophy's are given the time and attention to details, so a revered time honored profession becomes a quick in, quick out shoddy business. You have to pick your taxidermy carefully and not by price. Good taxidermy takes time and time is $$$$. 15 years later when you look at your well preserved mount, you will know your money was well spent.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old April 19, 2013, 03:10 PM   #7
cvc944

So the bear was done first, then the fox was added. That is artistry! It would have been easier to do a separate mount on the fox, but the result of the combo is worth the extra thought.
Old April 19, 2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Mystro

cvc944...I am only 1.5 hours north of you in the Pine Creek Valley/Grand Canyon.

Yea, the bear was done first 6 years ago and the log was originally there as well. I always thought a fox would look right and be about the correct size for the log. Fast forward 5 years...This particular grey fox was one of the largest and nicest coats of all the foxes I have taken and since it was taken with a pistol, it was extra special. I sketched out what I wanted and my taxidermist thought it would work out nice since he did the bear years back. We were both pleased with the final results... This guy is really good. He was working on a full body mount of a bengal tiger and a body mount of a Mt Goat when I picked up my mount.

Last edited by Mystro; April 19, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old April 19, 2013, 11:31 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

That is some great taxidermy.
Most foxes end up looking like they have elongated cat faces, and bears look like moose with the wrong teeth.

Even the legs have great form.
Old April 19, 2013, 11:34 PM   #10
cvc944

Mystro,

I also took an exceptional grey fox while hunting South Carolina. Problem was I took it with a 7mm Remington Magnum. Pretty much made a pair of bookends out of it. I was left with a great pedestal mount though.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
Northrider

Beautiful job and great setting. Nicely done.