The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 6, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
wogpotter

Amazingly dumb beginners ? Hawken carbine cleaning

What do you clean the barrel with?
Equipment, not solutions.
Do you use the other end of the ramrod, a cleaning rod separate from the ramrod??? Jags? worms?

I know, but this is my first real muzzle loader & it hasn't arrived yet & I'm dumb as a rock as well.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 6, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Hardcase

Well, I was too chicken to ask when I first shot my Springfield. I use a cleaning rod with one of those jags with a hole in it. After a good rinse with hot water, I just run that up and down with cloth patches until it's dry. Every now and then I run a bronze brush, too, just to knock loose any crud that the water and cloth patches didn't get. It must work because after 150 years, the bore isn't too dark!
Old December 6, 2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Hawg

I use a 20 gauge bore mop on my .54 and .58.
Old December 6, 2011, 05:54 PM   #4
wogpotter

Sorry I guess I'm showing my newbness.
The ramrod that comes with the rifle seems to be double-ended, one being more tapered than the other, combining that with an ad I found for a "tip kit" containing a brush, jag, swab, worm & bullet removing screw that was marked for "CVA Hawken", as opposed to "regular" I'm thinking maybe there is some oddball thread hidden somewhere in my ramrod?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 6, 2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Hawg

One end should be tapered and threaded. The other end should be cupped and flared. The flared end is what you seat your balls with. If your gun is a CVA then the parts will fit. If not they may or may not fit. Mostly what you need is a patch jag and a patch worm.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Ideal Tool

Hello, wogpotter. Alot of shooters use what is termed a 'range-rod' these can be made from anything from plastic to stainless steel. some have handles that swivel to follow rifling. These are usually of heaver construction & longer than the loading rod that came with rifle. Check out Dixie Gun Works catalog, or other black-powder suppliers..they will have all the necessary goodies for feeding & cleaning. Good luck!
Old December 7, 2011, 11:02 AM   #7
arcticap

I use a Hoppe's Black Powder cleaning kit rod that comes in 4 sections that's long enough for most muzzle loaders.
The widely available Kleen Bore jags fit the threaded end.
I use an undersize .41 jag with thick, folded homemade patches instead of a .50 jag with thin patches so the patches don't get stuck when they're pulled out.
It also comes with an adaptor that fits Hoppe's Tynex BP brushes and other shotgun accessories.
I use a muzzle guard with the aluminum rod to protect the rifling at the crown.
And I need to use a patch worm, I attached it to a ramrod, although thread adaptors are available.

Quote:
Hoppe's Black Powder Kit
Has everything you need to clean your muzzleloader. Contains No. 9 plus solvent, lubricating oil, four Weatherguard cloths, cleaning rod with accessories and patches. For all calibers. $13.95

http://www.adirondackoutdoor.com/guncare.htm
Old December 7, 2011, 09:41 PM   #8
mykeal

I use a range rod; I have both fiberglass and solid brass range rods in a couple different diameters to cover the entire kit. A cleaning jag in the appropriate caliber and cleaning patches. Also use a .32 cal copper brush for the bores with a patent breech.