The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 16, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Taktix

Shooting from cover with weak hand.

When shooting from cover on your weak side (left side of cover for right handed shooters and vice versa for lefties), do you shoot from your weak hand or shoot with your strong hand and risk exposing more of yourself? Does it matter if your shooting rifle or pistol?
Old June 16, 2011, 08:30 PM   #2
cole k

When I use to run that drill I used my weak hand.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:19 PM   #3
kraigwy

Weak side - weak hand, strong side, strong hand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 16, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
JC57

Weak hand. I always try to spend some range time firing one-handed with each hand.

If I am ever in a shooting situation and there is cover nearby, I'm going to be all the way behind it if I can get there in time. My goal is not to win a shootout, my goal is to not get shot.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:17 PM   #5
fastbolt

I practice using both dominant and non-dominant hand grips when shooting around cover/barricade on either side.

Some help from a qualified instructor can often help identify and address exposure issues when shooting from behind/around cover materials.

You might be amazed at the unnecessary exposure offered by some folks who think they're making effective use of a cover situation (standing, kneeling, etc).

Also, it can be surprising to see the number of folks who don't safely clear the cover material with their muzzles, or who allow cover/weapon contact which interferes with proper functioning (usually without being aware of the actual cause of the stoppage/malfunction).

If a rifle/shotgun is involved, sometimes the type of sling used may limit of hinder being able to switch from dominant to non-dominant. Again, some range time with an instructor versed in the commonly encountered various equipment options, as well as familiarity with the anticipated role planned for the weapon's use, might be helpful when it comes to choosing and using a sling.

While there are always going to be exceptions and mitigating circumstances which come along (usually unexpectedly, it seems) I tend to try and retain control of a weapon with my dominant hand/side. Why not work to my greatest strengths and to maximum advantage in adverse, difficult situations?

Injury, or having to simultaneously perform another critical task which requires my dominant hand, are why I include non-dominant hand shooting in my practice and drills, and still recommend it occasionally be included in periodic quals in my role as a firearms instructor. Naturally, safety requires that someone be properly versed in the skill before being tested or allowed to practice it on their own, as with any other firearms-related skill.
Old June 17, 2011, 04:28 AM   #6
smince

I've worked on my shooting to the point where I don't have 'strong' and 'weak' hand: only 'right' and 'left'.

What situtation I'm in dictates which hand I shoot with.
Old June 17, 2011, 05:58 AM   #7
ProShooter

Quote:
I practice using both dominant and non-dominant hand grips when shooting around cover/barricade on either side.

Some help from a qualified instructor can often help identify and address exposure issues when shooting from behind/around cover materials.
+1 Well said.
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old June 17, 2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Mello2u

Quote:
Taktix

When shooting from cover on your weak side (left side of cover for right handed shooters and vice versa for lefties), do you shoot from your weak hand or shoot with your strong hand and risk exposing more of yourself? Does it matter if your shooting rifle or pistol?
The preferred practice would be to use whichever hand allows you to remain behind as much cover as possible in a deadly threat situation and still have the ability to deliver fast accurate fire. Of course, this must be balanced with the reality of the level of skill of the actual shooter. If the shooter has not practiced shooting with their weak hand, then they may be unable to hit anything using the weak hand. In the case of shooters who have not practiced using the weak hand they may have to choose to expose more of their body to return fire in order to have a reasonable chance to hit.

I am sadly out of practice in using my weak hand, but would attempt to use my weak hand in a deadly force situation if that meant keeping more of my body behind cover.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old June 19, 2011, 07:15 AM   #9
Mobuck

Keep in mind that any practice is just a contrived situation and will seldom match any combination of events in a real life situation. At best, you'll learn not to cause your auto to jam due to ejecting into a barrier or finding your revolver cylinder won't rotate when held against a support. Any practice is better than none at all. Learning to handle the trigger and paying attention to where the working parts of your handgun are in relation to the cover is a definate plus.
I've always shot either handed and find my accuracy with my weak hand is about 66% of my strong hand but presentation and obtaining a sight picture takes about 50% longer until I've fired several rounds, after which it improves.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Newton24b

whats cover and for whom? if your behind the couch or futon, you have concealment. almost any handgun round will go through.

say you hide behind the loveseat or futon, ever consider the unexpected of simply shooting through the damn "cover"?
Old June 20, 2011, 12:28 AM   #11
fastbolt

FWIW, when I think of "cover", I tend to think of vehicles, concrete building corners or similarly reinforced store fronts, heavy light posts, large concrete flower boxes, etc. The sort of things you might find at hand when out and about in the general public in an urban area. In more rural areas I think of other things, many of which can be more sparse in availability. Much of modern residential interior construction and furnishings make more for concealment than cover.

Lots of folks often seem to avoid as much as possible, or even dread, having to demonstrate they can shoot with their non-dominant hand (unless forced, like during quals). We all like to use our strongest, most coordinated and well-practiced hand for many tasks. No surprise.

There was a time in recent years when I was having to spend a lot of time helping many of our folks do better with their non-dominant hands for some quals drills. I decided at that time that I was going to spend the next several months shooting exclusively left-handed (being right-handed) for all range training & practice. I spent 5 months doing everything on every range left-handed. That naturally included shooting left-handed when shooting around both left & right side barricade/cover. It helped me a bit.

Last edited by fastbolt; June 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old June 20, 2011, 12:34 AM   #12
youngunz4life

I myself would just do what I felt was right at the time. My answer is it depends on the situation. If the shot can be made with weak hand, fine. If not, then I'll use my strong hand. Sometimes instinct just needs to take over.
Old June 20, 2011, 12:48 AM   #13
zxcvbob

And if your "good" eye is on the wrong side of the cover, close it and you can aim with your weak eye. (I practice that some, but not nearly enough)
Old June 28, 2011, 08:52 PM   #14
TylerD45ACP

I practice at least 30 rounds on hand with my weak hand I find at 30 ft. I can get 5-6" groups pretty fast even though its one hand and my weak one. S&W 1911 45ACP is my gun.

Tags
cover , hand , pistol , shooting , training