The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 14, 2010, 02:05 PM   #1
scotty123

Winchester model 70 7mm SCOPE

I recently purchased a model 70 7mm for a great price but the scope was garbage. I cant spend a ton of money on a scope, but definately cant use the one that it has on it because it loses zero after 3 shots. Any suggestions on mount, rings, scope for my new toy (without using my daughters Christmas money)!
Old December 14, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
KLRANGL

Last time I checked, optics weren't regulated under the NFA (yet anyway ).

You might have better luck posting over in the Art of the Rifle section
Old December 14, 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
tyrajam

I'll bite, without blowing the bank you can get a new leupold rifleman 4-12 or a new redfield (also made by Leupold) 4-12 for under $250. Many people will tell you you need to buy rings and mounts that cost 3 figures, but I've never had any problems with standard weaver STEEL rings, just don't buy anything aluminum and you'll be good to go.
Zach
Old December 14, 2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Moving thread

- -From NFA Guns and Gear to Gear and Accessories.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
rugermk2

First of all just wanted to say hello. As for the scope my opinions, depending on what price range your looking at I'd look hard at a burris fullfield 2, I've had great luck with them and grafs, or natchez will have them for under $200 somtimes closer to 150. If your wanting something a little cheaper I've had some good luck with the millett buck golds. I have had a few and all have been clear and hold zero for under $100. If your still wanting cheaper take a look at natchez at the Intensity scopes. Bought 2 this year one for my 50cal. inline, and the other for my wife's model 70 270. Both have only been shot enough to sight them in, but both held zero the whole time. As for rings I agree I've always liked weaver steel clamp style. I have had some trouble with the weaver 4x4's. Hope this helped
Old December 14, 2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Fusion

What's your budget? You say you can't spend very much, but didn't say how much you could spend. If you can spend $200 or so check out the Vortex Viper 2-7x33 at Cameralandny on clearance for $175, or the Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 that's on sale at several places for $200. These are the two best scopes in this price range.

If you don't want of those, this is a great read on scopes under $200
http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-sc...opic21176.html

That test didn't include the the two mentioned above as they weren't on sale in that price range at the time it was written. They are both a step above the ones in that test.

Another thing to mention is that while I have a Prostaff and my findings are very similar to in that thread, they are on sale at many places for $100. While it's no where near as nice as the Burris FFII I have, it's pretty good for the $100.

I don't have a Diamondback, but I do have a FFII and I absolutely love it. It's great in low light and in the daytime. Just a great scope.

I've also had a couple Leupold VX-I's and both failed and quit holding zero. The glass was also worse than the Prostaff. Seemed similar in the day, but in low light it wasn't quite as bright as the Prostaff. I actually tested it against a $30 Tasco and $40 Simmons and couldn't tell a difference between it and the Tasco. The Simmons was slightly better in low light. Not that the Tasco and Simmons are good, just that the Leupold is bad especially for what it costs. The only good thing is they do have a great lifetime warranty. The Rifleman line suggested above is even lower on the totem pole than the VX-I, so now way I'd ever recommend one of those. If I was going to get a Leupold it would be a VX-II at minimum and even then you can get a lot better glass for the same money with other scope companies.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
scotty123

Woops

I didnt mean to post in the NFA thread. Not enough coffee! Thanks for the replies anyways. My budget is around $100 bucks. Has anyone had any experience with UAG scopes. I saw this one on ebay and am very leary due to having only used Bushnell on my rifles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UAG-SILVER-6-24x...45100169036492
Old December 15, 2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Coop204

Prostaff

Hi,try looking through a Nikon Prostaff in that price range. It may suit your needs.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
My budget is around $100 bucks
There is not a scope made that sells for $100 that can withstand a 7mm mag recoil. The absolute cheapest that you'll be able to get away with is probably going to be the Redfield 3-9x40 for about $150. Next above that would be a Bushnell 3200 elite. Overstock.com has them for $176 with free shipping. Prices for other brands go up from there.

A scope is NOT something you can cheap out on. You'll either get poor quality optics or it won't hold zero - frequently both.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:59 PM   #10
rugermk2

Hate to disagree with you, but I've owned a 7mag and 300 mag for years, and had a cheap simmons on the 7mag that always held, and until I recently bought my zeiss, had a millett on the 300 for the last 7 years, which is a $100 scope. I've taken the 300 to colorado elk hunting and used if every year deer hunting and every year I shoot it to make sure it is still, and have not ever had to touch anything.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Doyle

RugerMK2, I've seen Millets be hit-and-miss. Sometimes you get a good one, then the next two or three off the shelf will be crap. That's too much of a gamble for me.

I went through the same thing as the OP - trying to put together a hunting rifle on a budget. My first attempt was to buy a used Leupold off of a member of another forum for a little less than $100. It wouldn't adjust right but fortunately, Leupold's iron-clad warranty took care of that. I sent it back to the factory and they repaired it.

Since then, I've put together numerous combo's on a budget. I've used Burris FFII's, Leupold VX1 and VXII's, and Bushnell 3200s. Of all, I think I got the best bang for the buck out of the 3200.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Elkins45

My experience has been that if I had $100 to spend on a scope I would save another $20 somehow and get a Sightron. Unlike most of the low end scopes being made in China to minimal specs, the Sightron scopes are made in Japan and are very solidly constructed---at least they were the last time I checked.
Old December 16, 2010, 03:55 PM   #13
scotty123

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the help. I was on the fence about buying the Bushnell 3200 before I posted, but thats what I'm ordering. I wanted to save some cash, but the 7mm is a beast and I know that the Bushnell can handle it. I'll use some Weaver rings and be out at 200 bucks.
Old December 16, 2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Fusion

Quote:
There is not a scope made that sells for $100 that can withstand a 7mm mag recoil. The absolute cheapest that you'll be able to get away with is probably going to be the Redfield 3-9x40 for about $150. Next above that would be a Bushnell 3200 elite. Overstock.com has them for $176 with free shipping. Prices for other brands go up from there.

A scope is NOT something you can cheap out on. You'll either get poor quality optics or it won't hold zero - frequently both.
I disagree with this also. A buddy has a Ruger 7mm mag and has a cheap Simmons on top of it and has never had any problems. Another buddy has a 7mm Mag and has some weird brand I'd never heard of before on it. Something like Vanguard or something similar. It was on there when he got it and he refuses to change it as long as it holds zero from year to year. I looked it up online and they are sold for $40 at Natchez. Neither one have had any issues and both have killed several deer with theirs. I've personally shot that gun and can verify it holds zero. The glass isn't great, but it works.

That being said, I'd recommend a Prostaff on sale for the $100 they are right now if that's your budget. You may not get the best glass in the world, but you will get a good solid scope that should have no problem holding up to the 7mm Mag.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 is another good solid choice although right now I think they are still more than $100. I'm not sure what they will be when they go on the rumored clearance in 2011 since they are being discontinued. Cheapest I've seen is $140 at Natchez on sale for the 3-9x40. I'm not sure if it's cheaper anywhere else or not as I've not looked too hard. The Viper and Nikon Monarch UCC are a lot better when it comes to glass quality, so if I was going to spend that much, I'd spend the extra and get one of those while it was on sale if it was me. If you can't do that, the Bushnell is still a good choice. The only downside I see to Bushnell is their customer service can be hard to deal with at times, but their Elite scopes are good products.

As for the Weaver rings, I'd recommend checking out the Burris Signature Zee rings instead. They are the best rings I've used for under $100. I've heard good things about Warne too, but have never used a set. I've used several sets of Weavers and had decent luck, but at $20-25 for a steel set of Weavers, I will never use a set again when I can get the Burris Signature Zee Rings for $30 that are tons better.