The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 7, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Farmland

Original 45-70 Springfield Trapdoor

This has been in the family since at least the 1880's. I can remember shooting it when I was a kid in the 1970's. My dad gave it to me in the mid 1980's. It is in very great shape and I even shot s deer with in three years ago. It is still pretty accurate and has seen more than a few boxes of modern rounds through the past 40 years.

As it gets older I don't put so many rounds through it. However I would like to start shooting it more for long range. However I would like to start usning black powder with lead bullets. I have been looking for some time in mnay place but I haven't found too much info on loads yet.

I guess you might say I am a little cheap to buy a book so does anyone know some on lime sources for load data. I do shoot a colt black powder/percusion revolver so I have some experience in regular black powder. Of course this would be my first black powder reloaded cartridge.

I did try to search this forum however I didn't find any info, not saying I tried every combination of search words.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Hawg

405 or 500 gr. bullets and a full case of bp which won't be but a little over 65 grains. Original charges were 70 grs. of bp but the original cases were balloon head. Modern solid case heads won't hold 70 grs. unless you have a compression die. You can use reduced loads as long as you use a filler to take up space.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Farmland

Can I use something like corn meal as a filler? Do I need to use a patch?
Old July 8, 2009, 02:32 AM   #4
Hawg

Yes corn meal makes a good filler and put plenty of vegetable based lube in the grooves, no petroleum based lube.
Old July 8, 2009, 05:42 AM   #5
darkgael

Trapdoor

I, also, have an original "trapdoor", a carbine. The load that I use most often is 55 grains of FFg BP , a 405 grain Lead bullet, a grease cookie and a filler. I used to use Cream of Wheat as the filler but have been using PuffLon for the last couple of years.
Pete
Old July 14, 2009, 07:40 PM   #6
W. C. Quantrill

First and formost you need to order a copy of Spencer Wolfs book on loading the Trapdoor Springfield .45-70. Read it about 3 times then proceed. I shoot an original TD and it is different than shooting a Sharps or other rifle as you are dealing with a loose tolerance very shallow-3 groove barrel. Loading for the Trapdoor requires a few different techniques, but if you follow them, it will bring the meat home.

That barrel is designed for cast bullets not over 1-20 or if they are not accurate, go to 1-40 tin to lead alloy. Second it is a black powder only action. The strength of the action is the strength of the latch that holds it shut. A clean case will hold just a wee bit over 65 grains level full. A 500 grain bullet-flat base-will seat down more than 1/2" to the top crimp or driving band. You DO need a compression die and compress the powder --FFG-- to the appropriate depth then seat a .030" card then the bullet, and crimp it.

Because the powder is compressed into a solid pellet at this point it needs a Winchester Magnum rifle primer to touch it off, also the flash hole is enlarged appropriately. All this information is detailed in Spence Wolf's book. Compressing the powder, enlarging the flash hole and using the magnum primer returns your loads to very near the specifications of original Frankford Arsenal ammunition that was issued with the gun originally. Carbines used a load of 55 grains of powder under a hollow based bullet. Do not load a card under a hollow base bullet or leading will result. This is the short course or summary of Spencers book, order the book and read it carefully, and do not load copper jacketed bullets, smokeless powder, or off the shelf ammo in that old warrior.

If you follow that TD Springfield bible, you have many hours of enjoyable shooting. I have taken a lot of game with mine. It will shoot 16" at 1000 off the sandbags with careful loads.

Enjoy

WC