The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Johnny O

Best way to sell Original 1851 Navy and 1860 Army Colts?????

I have had a complete full spectrum of suggestions from Antique gun collectors and Internet Collector sites. Some have told me to send them the guns and they would offer up to 80% of what "they considered retail value".
Others have told me to consign the guns on their site. Others have suggested to take them to Civil War shows to sell. I'm confused. Not only by the range of methods they have suggested for sale but also by the range of value they have assigned to the 2 Colts I have. I have purchased the "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms and their values", from that source and research from similar pieces available on the internet; I have a pretty good idea of a conservative price I would expect to get for them.
Anyone have any words of guidence. Thanks
Old June 15, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Wildalaska

if you want a value, grade your pistols and do a search on both auction sites.

That will give you an idea. Then decide how to market them, keeping in mind that a reputable dealer will probably be able to market them better than you can.

WildhopethathelpsAlaska
Old June 16, 2007, 01:28 AM   #3
arcticap

There's a lot of haggling that goes on at antique gunshows. Some dealers are willing to buy a gun outright at a fair price. Then they mark it up tremendously only to have the price haggled down at the time of sale. So if you did go to an antique gunshow to sell, you would at least be able to see a variety of similar guns, their "gunshow" prices and meet a number of dealers face to face.
On the other hand, if your guns are really nice, valuable collectibles, you might want to consign it to a more reputable, established dealer for a period of time to see if it moves at a higher price. I think that it all depends on how valuable, rare or collectible your pieces are.
I know a fellow who sold his "shooters" outright to a dealer at an antique gunshow at a fair "wholesale" price. It's now several years later, and the dealer is still displaying this fellows former guns for sale. They haven't sold because of the overall collectability of the guns, and the area antique gunshows have more guns than there are buyers. There's just a general lack of interest in them I guess.
My thinking is that the guns with the greatest amount of value & collectability will be more worthwhile to consign to a reputable and trustworthy dealer. Maybe one with a showroom or an established clientel, even if it's mostly internet based. But like any gun consignment, you establish the price that you want, to which they add their consignment fee to establish the final selling price. They advise and counsel you about the price.
You can meet dealers like this at an antique gunshow, because they have nice displays and will advertise the fact that they have an established showroom.
Then there are the home based dealers that might make you a reasonable offer, but because they may have to travel & display the guns for a long period of time before they eventually sell, they just can't or won't offer as much to buy them outright.
So depending on the overall marketplace value of the guns, and how quickly you want to liquidate them, that should determine the method and the possible dealers that you should consider working with.
It's awfully hard to say what else to do without knowing what the actual range of the wholesale and retail values of the pieces are. By going to an antique gunshow and seeing the asking prices of similar items, you might get a better picture of how to proceed and with whom.
Old June 16, 2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Johnny O

Thanks

Thank you for the help guys. I am in contact with someone who has seemed to be the most reasonable so far. He is willing to send an insurance binder to have the guns sent to him for evaluation. He said he then would offer 80% of the retail value. That sounds reasonable.....what do you think???
Old June 16, 2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Wildalaska

As long as he properly grades and gives you a correct retial value

WildandnotjustbluebookeitherAlaska
Old June 16, 2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Johnny O

That is an area of concern... I have seen similar guns on line that are different values than what I have researched in the text that I have. Of course the on-line guys have all said that their guns were in better condition than the ones I have. (Not from what I have seen) They have pictures and details of guns that are SOLD on their site that are in worse condition than mine. My expectations are not to get more than the guns are worth yet I seem to get low-balled from everyone that has shown an interest.
Old June 16, 2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
yet I seem to get low-balled from everyone that has shown an interest.
Send me pics and I will give you a high/low retail. You can take it from there.

Wildconsignmentfeesare20%usuallyAlaska
Old June 17, 2007, 03:17 AM   #8
arcticap

This very reputable outfit attends many CT antique shows and advertises as paying higher prices, selling on consignment, and I believe that they have a national reputation for selling collectibles. They sell through various auction sites too. They're not cheap, but they sell high quality collectible guns.

http://www.hansenguns.com/
Old June 17, 2007, 03:24 AM   #9
Wildalaska

They have some of the worst feedback for a storefront dealer on Auction Arms LOL, and overprice/overgrade guns left and right...

WildsomethingissuspicioushereAlaska
Old June 17, 2007, 03:37 AM   #10
arcticap

They usually have some very nice goods displayed, and offer many collectibles, including many Rugers & Winchesters. But I've never bought from them personally. They've been around for a very long time though, and they even used to sell a lot of ammunition labeled under their name.

On antiquearms.com, 45 of 47 feedbacks are positive and their positive feedback on auctionarms.com is 98.2%.

They have 20 negatives out of 1128 feedback on auctionarms.com, and there wasn't any feedback left for 274 transactions.

What are you talking about? Click on their "online catalog" and see for yourself.

http://www.antiqueguns.com/auction/d...ngs.cgi?cwlopi

http://www.auctionarms.com/Help/feed...e=3384140413.0

Quote:
Hansen & Hansen owns and operates a retail store and gallery open daily with an extensive inventory. We offer free verbal appraisals to visitors and written appraisals for a fee for insurance purposes, estate liquidations, etc. We are members of the Appraisers Association of America.