The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2000, 11:21 PM   #1
45acp

Do any of you guys use the lee factory crimp die? I have had several people recommend it to me for the 45 acp. I use a dillon 650 progressive. can i just replace the crimp die that i use now with that one. any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Old March 13, 2000, 02:47 AM   #2
Bud Helms

I may be way off base here, but I thought factory crimp dies were cannelure crimps.

Frankly, I wouldn't do that on an a straight walled auto case. Taper crimp in a separate operation is the way to go, cannelure or not.

Besides which, I've never seen a bullet for .45 ACP with a cannelure.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited March 13, 2000).]
Old March 13, 2000, 04:14 AM   #3
Hal

45acp,
Yes, I use them. I don't know how they work in your Dillon 650 though. I use a Lee press. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer you though.
From www.leeprecision.com
the Factory Crimp page-The die comes both ways, taper and roll.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die
For Handgun Ammunition That Must Work

A carbide sizes the cartridge while it is being crimped so every round will positively chamber freely with factory like dependability.
The adjusting screw quickly and easily sets the desired amount of crimp. It is impossible to buckle the case as with a conventional seating die. Trim length is not critical so this extra operation takes less time than it would if cases were trimmed and chamfered.

Revolver dies roll crimp with no limit as to the amount. A perfect taper crimp is applied to auto-loader rounds. The crimper cannot be misadjusted to make a case mouth too small to properly head-space. A firm crimp is essential for dependable and accurate ammunition. It will eliminate the problems of poor ignition of slow burning magnum powders.[/quote]
Old March 13, 2000, 06:55 AM   #4
Joe D

I use one on my 550B. It does not replace your other crimp die. You adjust your existing die to just straighten up the flare and of course to seat the bullet to the proper depth. The Factory Crimp die is a must if you shoot cast bullets as it sizes the O.D. of the case also. If you shoot jacketed bullets it is not as critical.I bought one for my 9mm but have seen no real advantage over the standard crimp die.
Old March 13, 2000, 07:49 AM   #5
johnnybravo

I use a Lee factory crimp die on my Dillon 550 for 45 acp. Just put it in station #4, using station #3 to seat only. I have rcbs 45 dies, so I set up the rcbs seat/crimp die in station #3 to seat only. I had to make sure my ammo was in spec after I bought a 625 that had tighter chambers than my 1911.
One thing to look at. A buddy of mine just purchased a Dillon 650 last month. Since he was upgrading from Lee presses, he transferred his Lee dies to the dillon. He found the Lee dies to be so short there were not enough threads on some of the dies above the die plate for the lock nut to lock down the die. On those dies, he installed the locknuts on the bottom side of the die plate, as there is room to do so on the 650. He's now tickled with his 650. Lee dies and all. Plus I'm a lot happier with my 45 ammo now that I'm running it through a Lee factory crimp.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old March 14, 2000, 06:34 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

45ACP,

Use them on my XL650.

Run the shell-plate up and screw the die down till it just 'kisses' the shell-plate, then lock down the die (you can put the lock ring both top OR bottom on the 650).

That adjustment does the sizing.

Then just turn down the top adjusting screw until you reach your desired crimp (remembering that crimp is NO SUBSTITUTE for adequate CASE NECK TENSION.)

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"