The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 13, 2000, 02:47 AM   #1
WOLF

Can anyone tell me if there is a considerable difference in these hand held power tools.
I will be doing occasional work on my own firearms....and useing it around the house.

Is the Dremel that much better than Sears ....or do they both come from the same overseas manufacturer, and just cased and badged differently.

Has anyone owned both and do you have a profered choice.
Can anyone speak to operational longevity, and better power and controlabilty issues...?

In general which is better?

Thanks, WOLF
Old March 13, 2000, 10:32 AM   #2
mongrel66

I have both...I bought the sears after I smashed the casing of the dremel..I cant notice any difference..but I like sears better because I have brand loyalty
Old March 13, 2000, 03:35 PM   #3
Steve Clark Custom

Wolf, most models are indeed the same, I own both and the only difference is that with the Sears model I can take It to the local outlet for replacement. You can't go wrong with either one.They will both last the same and have the same power output. SC
Old March 13, 2000, 07:20 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have a Sears. My pop gave it to me so that's what I have. Useful for fitting parts on blackpowder rifles.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt
Old March 13, 2000, 11:12 PM   #5
BBBBill

Get the Dremel or the Sears .......but don't use the Dremel on your (gun)sears!! If I recall, Emerson Electric manufactures the Dr(EmEl) under their own banner & the Sears as a store branded item. They are indeed the same. The various models are suited for different uses. I primarily use the heavy duty model for gunsmithing as it comes with a flex shaft attatchment. I purchased a stand/hanger for the tool head to get the body up out of the way. That way I only handle the hand piece & am able to exercise more fine control of the tool. Variable speed foot pedal is nice but not necessary. I just use the switch on the tool head/body to control speed.
Old March 15, 2000, 12:49 PM   #6
Numbers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Clark Custom:
Wolf, most models are indeed the same, I own both and the only difference is...[/quote]

Steve,

How do their prices compare (if you know)?

Joe
Old March 15, 2000, 05:53 PM   #7
BBBBill

You can usually get a little better price on Dremel at Lowe's or other do-it-yourself supply stores. Say $10 less for a$120 heavy duty model there than at Sears. Occasionally, Sears will run them on sale for a good price. Just have to keep your eyes open for a sale at Sears.