The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 28, 2015, 04:53 PM   #1
swedish champion

theatrically large muzzle flare....

Hi. My first time posting anything, anywhere. So, be easy on me. Cowboy action. I participate regularly in it. Myself and a few of the other shooters use black powder, either in cap/ball pistols, or cartridges. Honestly, the main reason being the theatrical blazing muzzle flashes, with a sprinkle of sparks for good measure. I have tried about three different subs, pyrodex, 2 and 3 f, tripple seven, duplex blackhorn 209...havnt tried Alliant black mz, though I just purchased a can. Here's my question....the kids n ladies LOVE the black powder theatrics. All that flame, and gut-shuddering boom, still low velocities for our reactive targets. The substitutes are clean, and work very well, but lack all that fire. Is there any way to synthesize all or some of that lightshow while using a lesser sulfer synthetic that is easier to find/purchase. After all, there are two main reasons for c.a.s. The competition...and theatrics. And I'm NOT very cometative. Any suggestions?
Old January 28, 2015, 05:52 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Welcome to the forum! I cannot answer your question of how to duplicate the pyrotechnics with substitutes. One of the reasons I shoot real black. I too love a late afternoon BLAST!!
Old January 28, 2015, 08:15 PM   #3
MIOkie

Welcome, Swedish Champion..!

I am also a big fan of the smoke and fire, and make sure to save the last loaded cylinder for some twilight fun, if possible.

3f Goex, round ball, number 10 Remington cap and the Wife with her Nikon.

From my experience, the flash happens so fast that I barely notice it.

I tried to attach a photo. Hope it works. I am still trying to figure that out.

Enjoy the forum... a good group of people here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (219.5 KB, 63 views)
Old January 28, 2015, 08:48 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Now thats a cool Pitcher Pilgrim!!
Old January 28, 2015, 08:54 PM   #5
ak-kev

Here is one from a few years ago. Its my Uberti 1858 with 35grains of home made black. That was a fun day!!

Old January 28, 2015, 09:00 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Take images at night. My Ruger Old Army provides great balls of fire.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

I going to have to dig through my archives, my brother took a great shot of me at night firing my '51 Navy back in 1969 with huge flames and sparks. It is a Kodak slide so I'll have to digitize it.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:49 PM   #8
B.L.E.

Muzzleloading shotgun at night movie clip.

Old January 28, 2015, 11:25 PM   #9
Hellgate

Here's 80grs FFg in the 12ga during a CAS shoot. When I finished and turned around the RO had donned a GAS MASK!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BP Shotgun-Smokey Pt.jpg (189.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Gasmask RO-Smokey Pt.jpg (235.1 KB, 38 views)
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 29, 2015, 12:29 PM   #10
swedish champion

T.L.M.F.'s

Well thank all you gentlemen for such a warm welcome. And thank you for all tha neat photos and vids. I'm glad to read so many guys share my appreciation for slow burning powder. I have some magnum research B.F.R. Revolvers in 45-70 gvt. I got them because I thought they would be a cool match to my Henry model 010. I've tried all the Garrett and buffalo bore fist slammers. None had any descent flash to them accept the 420 grain jacketed soft point by B.B. I suppose a slow burning rifle powder (smokeless) and a lighter 300 ish grain bullet may be the next load I work up. (so my buddies eyes bug out at a 3 foot flame at the gravel pit we shoot cans at). Also, I should throw together the classic 405 grain/66 grains of 2-f or cartridge grade geox and do an a/b comparison of flash between smokeless n black. I live in Alaska with no electricity, so I can read n post on here when I'm at work only, so, sorry for the delays. Again...thanks guys!
Old January 29, 2015, 12:39 PM   #11
swedish champion

T.L.M.S'.

One other thing, I figure there are a million reloaders/shooters deadset on creating the most efficient and effective cartridge for animal defense. I need those too...so far about 2 of them every ten years. My recreational shooting takes president...so, if anybody mumbles "your wasting lead, powder, and time".. Your correct. Just having fun.