The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 21, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
MarineVaquero

Help: Fixed Sighted Buntline in .44 Mag?

Howdy ya'll. I'm new here and just getting into this gun stuff, particularly interested in Cowboy Action Shooting. I haven't bought my first gun yet but want to start with a standard 7.5" SAA clone. I'm been torn between the .45 Colt and .44 Magnum calibers but have been leaning more towards the .44 magnum as it can also be loaded with .44 special for cowboy shooting or general use and magnums whenever I may need that bit of extra boom (i.e. an Alaska excursion). With that being said, if I bought the 7.5 I would want to pair it with a Buntline in the same caliber (I'm modeling my character after Wyatt Earp, Tombstone version). I have seen them in .44 magnum but only with adjustable sights. I don't want to limit the competitions I can compete in so I prefer to get one with fixed sights. So far I've only seen the fixed sight ones in .45 Colt and the .44 magnums only come with adjustables. Does anyone make a .44 mag buntline with fixed sights instead of the adjustable ones?
Old March 22, 2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

MV,

Welcome to the forum.

Someone who is more knowledgeable about the availability of CAS authorized revolvers will wade in.

I just wanted to make you feel at home.

Tnx,

Barry
Old March 22, 2013, 02:33 PM   #3
robhof

robhof

I don't shoot CAS, but attend matches regularly. Welcome and You might want to rethink the Buntline for competition, in 20+ years of watching matches, I've not seen any, a few with the 7" or 9" barrels, but most like the short barrel for quicker draw and lighter weight. The 44's that I see are usually Ruger Vaqueros in 44 spec or actual 44-40's. I have seen a few Buntline Vaqueros at gun shows, but they carried a hefty price for that long barrel.
Old March 22, 2013, 03:58 PM   #4
MarineVaquero

thanks Doc and Rob, I was thinking of wearing the 7.5" strong side and the buntline left side in a crossdraw. This is the same configuration that Russell uses in the movie. Not sure if the crossdraw would make that big of difference in speed but I think it would work nonetheless. I would also opt for the 10" buntline used in the movie rather than the standard 12" models commonly available. I know the shorter barrels are quicker on the draw but there is just something about a long barrel that I like. Just looks better to me and history says that Wyatt preferred a long barrel as it was easy to pistol whip outlaws with (which he was commonly known for) and extremely accurate. It's been said that the gun he used in the O.K. Corral gunfight was a S&W Schofield with an 8" barrel. cool! :-) Can't afford the price tag of the Uberti Schofield but that would be my first choice if I could.

Last edited by MarineVaquero; March 22, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Hawg

If it makes any difference Wyatt didn't use a Buntline. They didn't exist.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Rigmarol

Just sharing, not arguing...

http://home.earthlink.net/~knuthco1/...linesource.htm
Old March 23, 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
MarineVaquero

Very interesting article Rig, thanks for sharing. It seems there may be much more to this Buntline myth than people realize. I was particularly intrigued by the Tombstone butcher's account of seeing Wyatt "buffaloing" a man with an extra long barrel.

Tags
.44 magnum , buntline , wyatt earp