The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 26, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
ninjatoth

Hunting Blind Help

I am new to hunting,and this is only my 2nd season hunting.I was just given a hunting shanty,it is maybe 4x4 feet by 5 feet tall,has three shooting slots,carpet on the floor,padded rests,its camo painted.I will be putting it on private land,but does anyone here put orange on thier blinds?There was a man shot and killed just a few miles away from where I hunt,and his blind was hidden,not to mention that he was wearing all brown.Should I put orange on my blind?Are deer colorblind?And back to the shot man story,a woman was hunting near him,she shot at a deer and the bullet hit a tree and ricocheted into his blind.She heard him and ran to help him,he was wearing no orange(which is state law here)And guess what,she was charged with a crime,and she is not in prison only because the family didnt press more charges.Now she has to be on probation and speak at all the hunter's ed courses for 2 years.I think it is total injustice.She did everything right,she shot a deer and the bullet hit a tree.It was just one of those tragic accidents no one could prevent.
Old October 26, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would put some orange on it. In fact, I would spray paint "Don't Shoot!" on the side in Blaze Orange.

No, deer are NOT color blind. However, they do see colors differently than we do. Not that anyone knows for sure except the deer, but the prevailing wisdom is that deer see blaze orange as a slightly bright shade of brown.

Side note:

Deer do see something we don't see: ultra-violet. Be sure that everything you hunt with is UV deadened or you will look like a neon sign to deer. Literally, a neon sign.
Old October 26, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
ninjatoth

I don't know what to use for orange on the blind.I guess paint might work.I went to home depot to look for orange things today and found not much.I was looking for a traffic cone to put right on top,I thought about a slow moving vehicle triangle,but my father in law pointed out that there is alot of tractors in rural areas,so it might not stand out.On a side note I took my 2 and a half year old daughter out to the blind,she walked all 300 yards through thick grass just to see it.While out there I told her"this is where daddy is going to shoot a deer from".She looked around the inside of the blind for a second and says"where's jor gjun?"I guess she was ready to hunt,I asked her if she was going to shoot it and she said yes,and I asked if she would eat it and she said yes again.
Old October 26, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Blaze orange spray paint will be perfect if it's wooden/hard-sided. I'd paint like this, except "oranger":

DON'T
SHOOT!
Old October 26, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
ninjatoth

I might try the orange paint,and avoid my habbit of wearing my carhart and antler hat.
Old October 26, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

cabelas sells top and side covers in blaze orange that are universal for the blinds.

Me, i would just go to wally world or a fabric store, get some blaze orange cloth and rip or cut it into strips and apply to the sides of the blind along with other camo colored material.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old October 26, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Can of blaze or safety orange paint, problem solved. Like previously noted the deer see ultraviolet but not orange. Even if they did see it its just another color to them. It is movement and sound of the hunter that sets them off. Their vision is limited but they see motion real well and they have better night vision than we do.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 27, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
camper4lyfe

The hard part you run into is this: Anything you do to the blind needs to be permanent. The deer will notice the difference (hanging a flag, or anything orange) if it's only while you're in it. Which also defeats the purpose of having the orange. You want someone to know that you're in the blind, not just that the blind is there. If it's permanently orange, people will get use to it as well, and with no way of knowing you're there, it won't matter.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:44 AM   #9
ninjatoth

I am afraid of people noticing permanent orange and ignoring it,I am also aware that deer notice movement,so a flag is out of the picture.Maybe some sort of a dummy with an orange vest on setting outside the blind?It could sit alot more still than me,deer won't notice it,hunters will.Maybe?
Old October 27, 2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

Traffic paint can be bought at most all hardware stores. Get the Flat finish, and spray a hap-hazard band around the stand on all four sides. Be sure to get most of it around the top, as the bottom of the stand will probably be hidden from view by grass and weeds. Don't spray big spots, all in one area, as this will take away from the camo effect. When you get done, and the paint is dry, take a rag and wipe the paint with a little vinegar, and this will take the paint smell off of the stand.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Sam06

I like the traffic cone Idea. The other thing you could do is put 3 layers of sand bags inside and out and turn it into a bunker. Then paint:

BRING IT ON SUCKER
Old October 27, 2009, 10:09 AM   #12
DRice.72

LOL!
Old October 27, 2009, 01:04 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I just make my own ground blind impromptu of natural material found within 30 feet of my choice of ambush spot. I do not expect results on the first or second day as deer bust me everytime for the newness or they smell my sweat from working to build it. After a few days they will walk right by me within 3 feet... Do ya'll know how hard I laugh when I am letting a little doe or doe with fawn walk past me and I say PSSSST... or BOOO... when they are directly in front of me? I mean these things will flat freak!
Brent
Old October 27, 2009, 05:35 PM   #14
fisherman66

I don't want trespassers to know where I have a blind. Like Brent I just use natural materials. I doubt the deer will care what color your blind is. Yes, saying "boo" does indeed freak the wildlife out at a yard or so. I almost had a coyote in my lap.