The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1
greyhnd33

Stuck 1858 Rem. cylinder.

I have a Pietta 1858 in .36 cal. I have not had the revolver out for some time. I tried to remove the cylinder and it will not budge I can not put the hammer to half cock and the cylinder is frozen. If I remember correctly, I am supposed to put the gun to half cock and then pull the cylinder pin. I dont see any rust on the outside but it is stuck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!!
Old July 16, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Hawg

Spray it liberally with penetrating oil and tap the pin with a wooden hammer handle. Revolver does not need to be on half cock to remove or install the cylinder. It will fall in or out from either side if you just ease the hammer back enough to clear the cylinder.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Or try....

Greyhound,

Another good "unsticker" is PB Blaster. You can get it in car parts stores I think. When I worked for the construction company I just stole it from the mechanics.

Secondly, I don't suppose you tried pulling the trigger guard off and removing the parts from the bottom. I had a Remington lock up on me that way (It was a kit I was building a while ago) and I freed it up by pulling the bolt.

Any of you smarter people think that is a bad idea?

Tnx,
Old July 16, 2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Hawg

It won't hurt anything Doc but if the cylinder is frozen to the pin it's not going to help either.
Old July 16, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
greyhnd33

Fixed!

Thank you all for the help!! I sprayed it good with Balistol and let it sit for an hour or so. It took a little muscle and wiggling but it came out fine. It had been 9 years or so. Again thanks everyone! I am going to make a loading stand for it, and then off to the range next week.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Yup!

Hawg,

Yup!

Tnx,
Old July 16, 2009, 07:20 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The reason some folks put the hammer on half cock when removing or replacing the cylinder is to get the cylinder bolt out of the way, preventing drag and allowing the cylinder to be turned if necessary.

Jim
Old July 16, 2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
The reason some folks put the hammer on half cock when removing or replacing the cylinder is to get the cylinder bolt out of the way, preventing drag and allowing the cylinder to be turned if necessary.
Once the hammer clears the cylinder the bolt and hand both are fully retracted. The cylinder will literally fall in or out from either side and can be turned as well. At least on Pietta's not sure about Uberti, just assume if it works on one it'll work on the other.
Half cock usually leaves the tip of the hand in the way requiring some finagling to get it in.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:39 PM   #9
madcratebuilder

Both Uberti and Pietta are the same as far as removing the cylinder. When I got my first 1858 I used the half cock but I soon learned it's MUCH quicker to pull the hammer back just a bit and the cylinder falls out either side, falls in to.

With a little practice you can swap cylinders faster than you can reload a SAA.
Old July 17, 2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder
With a little practice you can swap cylinders faster than you can reload a SAA.
You can almost be just as fast as speed loading a DA revolver too