The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 2, 2009, 04:53 PM   #51
mykeal

Quote:
Abilene Kansas would have likely been his destination on his first cattle drive.
quoted from wiki
True, Abilene, KS would likely have been his destination from Texas. But what he said was,
Quote:
During my first cattle drive from Abilene, north to Kansas,
So Abilene was the starting point, in Texas, going to Kansas.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:26 AM   #52
mavracer

Quote:
So Abilene was the starting point, in Texas, going to Kansas.
OK fine if thats the case then I'd like to know why the heck you would drive cattle from Abilene TX to Kansas when Abilene TX has a railroad to it from day one.
I was trying to point out a mistake in his story you guy's arguing that his statement is correct is making him just look stoopid.thanks guys.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 3, 2009, 10:46 AM   #53
mavracer

In reality on early cattle drives very few cowboys even had them new fangled repeters.and none would have '73 winchesters let alone a brace of used ones.
were I a cowboy on a late 1860s cattle drive I'd want a Henry although I'd easily give up a little firepower for a harder hitting Spencer in 56-50 and I'd do what I could to get my hands on one or the other but until then I'd be happy with my Sharps carbine that had been converted to 50 govt.
as for revolvers whatever colts or remmy cap and balls I could scrounge I'd prefer 44s maybe after the first couple drives I could save enough to have them converted to 44 colt.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:51 AM   #54
Hawg

1871 was the last big year for cattle in Abilene Ks. 1885 saw the last trail herd of Texas cattle to Dodge City so that would be feasible. Also in 1885 Kansas legislature banned all Texas cattle from the entire state of Kansas.
Old July 3, 2009, 12:08 PM   #55
CraigC

Quote:
nice story,But you might change that to Austin as Abilene is in Kansas.
I'd say it's rather rude to interrupt a man's dream with nitpicking. Admit it, you didn't know there was an Abilene in Texas until this thread.
Old July 3, 2009, 01:14 PM   #56
bamafan4life

Id be carrying a colt SA .45, with the hand of god grips (custom) just like in 3:10 to yuma.
Old July 3, 2009, 03:45 PM   #57
mavracer

Quote:
Admit it, you didn't know there was an Abilene in Texas until this thread.
No I didn't,I just know quite a bit about the cattle drives and knew Abilene Ks. as the end of the Chisolm trail.
It took about 2 minutes to realize that Abilene Tx was established as a railhead which makes it silly to argue that "1885 saw the last trail herd of Texas cattle to Dodge City so that would be feasible."
Because Abilene Tx already had a railroad why would you drive cattle all the way to Dodge city Ks to put them on the railcars when you just had to go to the edge of town.
the drives in the 1880s were mostly from the panhandle of Tx north of Amarillo where it was closer to Dodge than the other railheads in Tx. or thes drives ended in Wyoming and such.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:09 PM   #58
Hawg

Maybe he could just change his starting point.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:18 PM   #59
mavracer

Quote:
Maybe he could just change his starting point.
I figured he just had a senior moment Hell he's got to be pushin 150
Old July 3, 2009, 06:30 PM   #60
CraigC

Yeah well, in my fantasies I'm 180lbs of muscle, look like Brad Pitt and shoot like Bob Munden. Wouldn't want anybody to interrupt me with the truth while I was daydreamin'!

To answer the original question, the romantic in me would want an 1860 Richards-Mason or Transition model cartridge conversion .44Colt and probably an 1873 Winchester .44-40 or maybe a `66. Or maybe I'd want a true rifle and tote a big `76 .50-95 in my scabbard.

The realist in me says that my life depends on these guns and would want a 4¾" Single Action Army and Winchester `92 for state of the art weaponry. Both in .44-40, or an `86 instead.

Last edited by CraigC; July 3, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old July 4, 2009, 12:20 AM   #61
Nite Ryder

It's in the 1800's

Gee guys, that was a long time ago, but I'm sure I started in Abilene, Texas. The end of my journey was Dodge City. Abilene, Kansas is East of Dodge City by a fair piece and I didn't have any business there. Abilene, Texas is West of Dallas, North of San Antonio, and South East of Lubbock, I remember just missing Lubbock on our way North. I would have told you where I was ending up in Kansas if I would have known there would be so much confusion. Guess I'd better include a picture of my self and my horse, we're both gettin up there in years, now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nite Ryder sm.jpg (3.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Horse.jpg (3.6 KB, 26 views)
Old July 13, 2009, 02:49 AM   #62
cloud8a

Guys! This is about what you are carrying. Not about geographical or timeline historical continuity. You wanna get this thread closed, keep arguing about cities. You wanna keep it going, tell me what your carrying in the 1800's.
Old July 13, 2009, 03:28 AM   #63
The Iceman

Location: The seething cauldron of hell known as Sacramento CA
Spencer 56-56 lever action and a LeMat revolver because I am not a marksman. Probably a Greener too because I am really not a marksman.