The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
davem

Unload an in-line

If you don't fire a shot after a day's hunt- how do you unload the gun? I think there are CO2 dispensers but I'm not sure they have a way to fit into an in-line or a 209 shot shell primer set up.
Can you just remove the breech plug, unload the powder and ram out the bullet?
Old July 11, 2009, 04:12 PM   #2
AdmiralB

Yep, that's it.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:33 PM   #3
bejay

I usually just shoot it to unload the gun however if im going to be hunting within the next day or 2 I will just remove the primer and leave it loaded.
Old July 11, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Pahoo

Quote:
If you don't fire a shot after a day's hunt- how do you unload the gun?
You can but why bother? Just remove the primer. In most states, an M/L, is considered unloaded as long as it is not primered. Now, your concern is in the corrosion. This is not a problem as you can keep it in this state for a long time. Once helped a friend pull a saboted projectile on a TC Scout that was loaded with Pyrodex, for three years. Technically he wanted to be able to say that it had not been shot. Oh well, what the heck. No corrosion and lit off the Pyrodex, just fine. Now, if it's dirty and loaded, that's another matter and yes, pull it that way or as stated, shoot it. You can also pull the projectile and it's not that hard or unsafe if done properly. Also depends on your propellant. Pyrodex is just as corrosive as B/P. Good luck and;

Be Safe !!!